SFP vs XTC

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ARCADIOS

SFP vs XTC

Post by ARCADIOS »

somebody asked for it :D
maky325

Re: SFP vs XTC

Post by maky325 »

We need both at the same time.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

maky325 wrote:We need both at the same time.
+1 (unbugged... :roll: )
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
dante

Post by dante »

Yeah but needing both doesnt compare one to the other. My experience with XTC is limited, but can you bring up the STm2448 in XTC and mix with that instead of the Spewbase mixers ?
View ScopeRise latest issue at www.hitfoundry.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

no.
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Yes you can.
dante

Post by dante »

Bifop wrote:Yes you can.
Interesting. Do you have to do anything special to make it happen, or should the STM2448 just appear as a device to select within Cubase by default ?
View ScopeRise latest issue at www.hitfoundry.com
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

STM 2448 appears in front of cubase if you let it open in your xtcproject.pro when you save it. It's been known for a while, just search in the xtc section.
It's been known as well that XTC project is a derivative of sfp without the routing and the full modular. Hell, I can even side chain from Nuendo to a Vinco inserted in the STM2448.
What have been asked for years is a real, full XTC/SFP environnement.
It is "close" to be that but alas, no cigar.

I tried Protools 9 in XTC mode and it doesn't start (works in SFP mode though). Avid just opened asio world to it's pro tools. There is a great opportunity to provide dsp to a market that was used to it, at a premium ! An xite-1 (or 1-d) in mixed xtc/sfp mode is a "sort" of pro tools TDM.
Helas, most "PRO" users here (or at the "Elite" XITED.org site) still pat themselves in the back, totally convinced of the bright future of a dsp platform used as a stand alone solution. I'm surprise some of them even use a sequencer. :-D

I never understood the antagonism behind XTC vs SFP.
Make SFP/XTC mode as robust as SFP currently is, and you'll get a fantastic killer product !

My 2cents, not pro, point of view.

Merry Christmas to All Zer's.
garyb

Post by garyb »

good.
i'm all for anything that strengthens the platform, xtc mode with full sfp functionality would certainly be the best solution, if it's possible.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

If your host (no longer called sequencers) can route out to external hardware then you can already do both modes.
Stay in SFP mode, route your host's channel inserts to Scope via ASIO channels and you're good to go.
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

This is the way I use Pro Tools 9 with inserts in sfp mode.
Some problems compared to XTC (like I do in Nuendo)
1) The audio clips most of the time and you have to be very careful with gain level ;
2) Two projects, the windows are "fighting" to be in front (using Nuendo "always on top" windows feature) ;
3) No easy automation, no controller with parameter feedback, needs a dedicated controller, assigning controls via midi learn for each and every device.... :-(
4) Total round trip latency is equivalent to XTC mode

I experimented much more in SFP mode than in the past (since XTC wasn't working for a little while for me in 64bits) and found it's strengh and somehow weakness as well.
While very flexible, there is no way for it to be as quick and integrated with the host than XTC, ever.
SFP with insertable plugins within the host please !

PS : Semantically, when somebody uses a software that is only playing some midi files to external scope with no audio return/summing back, I call it a sequencer. It doesn't "Host" much...

Erratum : It's the STM4896 that works with the aformentioned method (I'm not so sure about the STM2448).
Polarity

Post by Polarity »

garyb wrote:good.
i'm all for anything that strengthens the platform, xtc mode with full sfp functionality would certainly be the best solution, if it's possible.
+1
I agree...
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

Is it possible to run XTC-mode on 5.1 64 bit?

In the Scope manual it says:
XTC mode is enabled automatically if
Enable XTC Mode is selected in the
SCOPE Settings and you start the
sequencer from the Live Bar. Otherwise
Standard Mode is active.

Start the sequencer from the Live Bar????
I don't understand this?
maky325

Post by maky325 »

garyb wrote:good.
Someone here said that SC said something about XTC and SFP being possible at the same time. I can't recall name.
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

I read it too, but it was only rhetorical. You can't run both concurrently as of today.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

I get the message like "bluesynth.dll XTC was not properly installed" or something like this when Reaper scan the XTC folder...¿?
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Some synths dont work. Bluesynth is one of Them:(
widy

Post by widy »

the19thbear wrote:Some synths dont work. Bluesynth is one of Them:(
=> we need a synth wrapper in xtc mode
- at least to load on other synths into this wrapper like the modular insert for xtc ( but this can only handle efects created with modular)
to avoid the modularsynth renaming procedure or to use other synth which actualy not working in xtc mode

lg widy
lg widy
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Yep i already asked few year ago for some kind of wrapper/vst modular shell. For some reason i am sure that SC will make one.
bLiNd

Post by bLiNd »

siriusbliss wrote:If your host (no longer called sequencers) can route out to external hardware then you can already do both modes.
Stay in SFP mode, route your host's channel inserts to Scope via ASIO channels and you're good to go.
how would you go about this say, in cubase 5? like have an insert routed to an asio out?