Creamware: Read My Lips

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i'm starting to see a pattern here...
huffcw

Post by huffcw »

Yes - hopefully Creamware is listening!

I would like to see Creamware respond to the comments in this thread - about what they might consider doing and what will just not happen.

Hearing from Creamware direclty is always helpful.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: huffcw on 2003-11-17 17:29 ]</font>
emzee

Post by emzee »

C'mon folks...please stick to the point. Submit your view and leave it. That way people can simply read the views and skip the discussion.
Marc de Ruiter

Post by Marc de Ruiter »

I love the soundquality, the fact I hardly ever have to touch a (hardware)cable to patch outboard equippement, the total recall of all parameters.

Yet, the last three purchase decisions I had to make, I choose for manufacturers other than Creamware. To give the marketing guys at CW some insight in my motivation:

B-2003 versus B4. When I tested the B-2003 demo for 20 minutes, I found some minor bugs in the B-2003 en decide to continue testing next day. Next day the demo was expired. I asked Support@Creamware.com for help, no reply. So I choose B4.

STS-5000 versus Kontakt. I own two licences for the STS-3000. If I want to upgrade, it costs € 259,- (and a lot of DSP power)When I learned to know it was possible to crossgrade from STS-3000 to Kontakt for € 245,- (I even got € 35,- reduction from my dealer = € 210,-)including 6 usefull sample CD's, I decided to go for Kontakt.

Mix 'n Masterpack versus UAD-1 or Powercore:
The special offer in Holland costs about € 579,- an UAD-1, € 695,- When a shop offered a Powercore for € 650,- in a stock clearance I went for this solution, in this way boosting the DSP power.

Don't let me be misunderstood. I respect the fact that everyone needs to earn a living in this business, but when the CW marketing people don't take in account their competitors offers they lose marketshare. Making the SFP more and more exclusive.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marc de Ruiter on 2003-11-17 06:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marc de Ruiter on 2003-11-17 06:40 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marc de Ruiter on 2003-11-17 06:43 ]</font>
Stige

Post by Stige »

Another point of view: SFP should use the video card for all graphics, not cpu and memory in DAW.
doodyrh

Post by doodyrh »

SFP is pretty excellent as it stands although I can always think of improvements but they must finally
fix those irritating bugs.

If necessary, implement version numbers and release fixed devices for download individually. Mixers, etc.

They need to show that they're doing something.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

Overall I'm happy with my CW system. I do think some things could be improved, and I think these have been mentioned already:

-graphics could be faster, and it would be nice to have SFP use standard Windows menus instead of it's own custom interface

-demo time should be longer! (this is also to 3rd party developers, I've sometimes seen 5 minute demo's, which is ridiculous!)
Sorry CW, but most people want to be able to try an instrument at least for several hours before buying.
Rogurt

Post by Rogurt »

U are wasting your time. I ve been spending quite some hours writing e-mails to creamware with hints to improve the GUI. I studied the shit (Communications Design) so I think the ideas I developed are not tooo bad. And not to difficult to implement eather. I work together with a young programmer to get a) any midi controller/fader box capable of total recall b) programmable Keyboard Shortcuts for the SFP.

CW is just not interested...
eliam

Post by eliam »

We are! (at least I am)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

On 2003-11-17 10:11, Rogurt wrote:
U are wasting your time.
CW is just not interested...
CW may not have picked up on your particular ideas, but there are many reasons why that may be the case.

And you can be sure that CW does listen to users and does read this forum. Not only have they said so on many ocassions, but they do sometimes contribute to discusions.

However, as they have also said, if a CW employee intervenes on a thread it can sometimes distort the thread.

It's like if a group of cardinals are sitting around discussing the nuances of theologic theory when suddenly Jesus walks in...

So, make your suggestions - CW is out there :smile:
Marc de Ruiter

Post by Marc de Ruiter »

I'm sure they would call security.
emzee

Post by emzee »

Let those who take the risks.....

... make the decisions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-11-18 05:05 ]</font>
petal

Post by petal »

On 2003-11-18 04:28, Marc de Ruiter wrote:
I'm sure they would call security.
:grin:
helldriver

Post by helldriver »

My wishes are, a faster gui for sfp 4 and
fully functionable xtc modus for all the modulars 1 and 2 and the 3thirdparty synths.
it could be done for the synths as they did it with effectsrack in xtc mode.
also a patchbay for xtc modus would be nice.
the pulsar mode should be available in xtx mode as well.

and what i also would to point out is to improve the compability between connected pulsar 1 and 2 cards.
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

At the risk of repitition:

STS sampler(s)
'Undo' function (please!)
Fix the 'save' bug
Faster GUI

Royston
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

If this is just for suggestions and not suggestion-rant-flame-rant, then here's my 2c:

- an instrument based on the STS concept, but not a straight sampler. I think retaining the true "sampling" ability is an important function that could be exploited. Too many samplers (eg: Kontakt) don't sample at all ! So although I haven't quite formulated this idea, I suppose I'm thinking of something along the lines of a sampler-mangler-slicer with a touch of SoundForge. Something which would let you define a set length - for example 4 bars at 140bpm, and then sample into that space without worrying about tedious trimming. It could also borrow some of the basic functionality of the "chopper" in Acid which is a incredibly simple but powerful idea. The recording part should capture and slice & chop to wav files.

- a double-sized 32-step sequencer module for Mod-III with all controls mouse-based (at least as an option). You should be able to run your mouse over the grid in one movement, not have to tediously click in every square. Likewise for erasing notes. 16 steps is almost useless and chaining 16-step modules together is a pathetic workaround.

- a double-sized BPM-based multi-segment envelope for Mod-III. The multi-segment envelope is useless since it can't be synced to anything. What's the point of fine envelope control without refernce to everything else that's going on ? The module also needs to be double-width so you can make a decently complex envelope and still see what's going on.

- Another "turn a modular into a synth" contest. But why not ask for somethng really unusual ? No straight VA-style stuff. We're talking modulations, feeds, weird controls etc A few little prizes for the top five entries would be nice. Maybe even have two categories: one for the main weird synth, and another for the best device contructed with less than, say, 12 modules (for example) ?

- Fix the Mod III save bug

- An enhanced pattern delay. I just adore the CW pattern delay and there's still nothing quite like it in the VST world.

- Give Celmo a kick in the a*** so he updates his BasmannIII to the new SFP preset mode. The BassmanIII is still one of my all-time favourite CW synths (If you don't know know it, then try the demo ! And I use it for almost everything except bass :wink: )

- Give us some decent demo time ! Six hours would be good, but why not a day or two ? CW devices aren't hacked AFAIK, and if someone is so keen that they're going to use it for "free" on some track because of the two-day demo limit, then chances are they're hooked enough to buy it. At least you'd be able to intelligently explore the device instead of having to decide whether to rush through the preset list or tweak a few knobs with your miserable hour.

- No more emulations

- Lower device prices. The market rate for a "superior" VSTi such as Z3ta+ is in the range US$99 - US$150. At least make them competitive with the native alternatives.

- Encourage more third party development. Why not even secretly give a new DP kit to two or three of the more talented Modular makers on Planet Z on the condition that anything they make must be sold through the CW site ?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

make the DP package and information widely available. Why be so secretive about it? Or perhaps a pseudo-DP kind of kit for advanced Mod users so they can package their synths with a practical UI. Mod III's "make your own UI" idea was cool, but not everything works with knobs so..

Fix Mod bugs.

Release FFT ability to DP people. Or whatever that's used in STS5000.

Do some "not so practical but cutting edge" devices. Like, a mixer that has saturation built in. (so it's like, hmm, why does this mixer sound... "different"?) It doesn't have to be a replication of some other device. Just something original and funky to use.

Redo the whole STS suite. The majority of the users hate using it. (including me) HD streaming might be impossible, but I think the current STS core with a new UI may serve its purpose better.

uh, well, I guess I just repeated what all the others have said.
rodos1979

Post by rodos1979 »

All the things I d like to see have been said except one:
88.2KHz support
stw

Post by stw »

On 2003-11-18 12:24, kensuguro wrote:
make the DP package and information widely available. Why be so secretive about it? Or perhaps a pseudo-DP kind of kit for advanced Mod users so they can package their synths with a practical UI. Mod III's "make your own UI" idea was cool, but not everything works with knobs so..

Fix Mod bugs.
Hey kensuguro, that should be my post :wink:
I absolutly agree to that. A special offer for people who really like to support the SFP platform. And that's what it means at last. That includes a drastic discount to pure DSP cards (no I/O). Maybe CW can compete with Reaktor then...

Regards, Stefan
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

i'm very lucky that i choose creamware :wink: