Creamware: Read My Lips

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

emzee

Post by emzee »

Here is a formal thread for your opinions on Creamware choices. Technical, product wants, prices, service, whatever

eg: What I like.
What I don't like.
What I want.

No debate. Just come here to state your view.

Edit: If some comments are considered unfair and damaging, I think we all respect Creamware's right to reply if they desire.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikka on 2003-11-17 17:12 ]</font>
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I love you Creamware :smile:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well let's get the obvious one out of the way: the STS seriously need an upgrade (i'm sure CW are about to pull the rabbit out of the hat on this one). Better GUI, more import formats, maybe some pre-made libraries, beat slicing etc.

Everything else i'm quite happy with within reason.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2003-11-14 18:51 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

On 2003-11-14 18:35, paulrmartin wrote:

Post by Guest »

1. faster hardware (but i dont expect this to happen for a couple more yrs considering their current situation)

2. cheaper prices on the hardware and plugins. dunno what kind of fools are running the show in their pricing department...eg. the price of vectron, come on...

otherwise i'm quite satisfied with my pulsar2, still need more dsp power though...waiting for prices to go down.....
mythalethe

Post by mythalethe »

I would like to echo that the STS 5000 needs upgrading, but more than new features I just want it to be easier and more intuitive to use.

In general CW synth sounds rock, and I love the STM mixers!

-mythalethe
bosone

Post by bosone »

i too love creaware!!
what i don't like: that i need too much dsp to have more fun! (CW is very addictive... i want more and more!!!) :smile:

i'dl like to have an improved STS sampler and something like a Roland XV or Triton in my CW board... :smile:
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

On 2003-11-14 18:35, paulrmartin wrote:
I love you and I want to have your baby :smile:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Seriously though. SFP 4 would be nice, eh?
Are we listening?..
Stige

Post by Stige »

No no no.. If you had the power of decision there would be only syths and samplers.
He he, just kidding, but really i would like to see more mixing and plugin development for pulsar systems. There are synths already for pigs to eat. Of course the prices should be set to more normal level.
Nisse

Post by Nisse »

Many have mentioned improvements in the STS series, and I will too.
The STS samplers need to be able to read samples directly from your hard drive.

Hardware dsp:s need to become a bit cheaper, at least as they get older, same thing with the plugins.

Otherwise Im extremely happy with my CW equipment. You cant get around the fact that everything sounds absolutely dope, and its versatility makes it fun to work with.
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind.

/Mahatma Gandhi
eliam

Post by eliam »

If I may comment on the sts front, I'd prefer to see improvements on the sound manipulation functions more than anything else. Note that I only have sts 3000, so maybe some of my wishes are included in the sts 5000... Something that I'd really like to have would be the possibility to draw a filtering (or any controller) curve with any shape we want, ala kontakt. That would be useful. I also found that program changes are not always smooth, so this could be improved too.

Synths are cool, but when will we see more physical modeling, like a virtual violin? Maybe I'm just dreaming here...

Otherwise, I'd like to rely on CW for all audio manipulation (recording, editing, looping, etc.) but I believe that this is coming quick.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

STS update, please!!! The userinterface needs to be updated. There could be many, many useful features and improvements...
huffcw

Post by huffcw »

A few things...

1. How about a simplified operating mode option that offers more efficient, ultra stable operation (something like a Noah operating mode for the DSP cards)? Like the Noah system, you would give up some flexibility in exchange for more efficieny and more stable operation - and an easier to understand system (for the novices).

This could also help Creamware sell more cards since it would offer an "easy" mode that wouldn't have as sharp of learning curve. This would make the system more appealing to the general population of musicians out there who are not audio pros and want something quick and easy.

Of course, I would only want this if it was a voluntary mode (you could choose between easy mode or "expert" mode, at your choice).

2. I agree with the suggestion about updating the STS samplers.

3. Lower prices on the plugins would be nice, but I don't think they are currently out of line (many high-quality VST plugins cost just as much or more). You are paying a higher price for higher quality.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: huffcw on 2003-11-15 17:48 ]</font>
eliam

Post by eliam »

lower prices please
valis

Post by valis »

1. Fix bugs on Mod-III with presets & loading new modules (crash or SFP hang).

2. Update Samplers (and their GUI!) and add SAMPLE START OFFSET via. mod source.

3. Focus on next generation dsps from A.D. to increase performance and make the phase issues in the current designs not present in 3rd generation creamware software/hardware combinations!
petal

Post by petal »

1. Fix the ModIII-bug - I find myself not loading the ModIII-shell because of this. I do all my modular-stuff in the Mod2-shell.

2. I'd love to be able to f... up longer samples like in Max/MSP, but in CW soundquality. I see a few suitable Mod-modules in this wet dream. I know that Flexor is doing some of this stuff, but I want to be able to work with longer samples. I'm not sure if this is even possible with the current atoms, but maybe that would be the task then, to build atoms that would enable cross-platform (CW/CPU) operations. But then again I don't even know if this is possible at all..... Still a nice dream though.....

3. On the synth-area - It's harder to put words on this issue other than inovation instead of emulation. Maybe even seek out some VST-pioneers and ask them to try out the DP-kit, so you can continue your excelent crusade with emeulating old classics.
Still I have a feeling that some interesting synthesis-aspects has shown itself while emulating those old bastards, like interesting errors, strange problems with an interesing sonic flavour - something worth exploring in a dedicated synth.

4. The GUI - I don't think it matches the sonic quality of the platform. It's slow, and maybe even a bit outdated in design. I know the last one is aesthetics, but still a fresh and more modern design would be nice. But the most important thing is that I want it to be fast, so the speed matches the sonic quality of the platform. The term psychoaccoustics comes to mind, all though I know it's beeing loaded with a slightly different meaning here.

Yes I have other whishes, but these are the greatest from my point of wiew.

Thomas :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: petal on 2003-11-15 22:07 ]</font>
Billy goat gruff

Post by Billy goat gruff »

Thanks for those Xmas specials. Extraordinary value in my eyes.
huffcw

Post by huffcw »

I will have to agree that the first priority should be to fix all bugs (Mod III, Minimax innapropriate DSP overload in certain situations, etc.).

Second priority in my opinion should be optimizing/speeding up the user graphical interface. (Besides just speeding things up, it would also be nice to have SFP work properly with Remote Desktop - It is the only program on my computer that I have trouble with - modules will not redraw, etc. - Remote Desktop allows me to be more flexible with my computer setup).

Third priority should be the STS series samplers (and how about giving the people who have supported and purchased STS samplers a free upgrade, or at least at a very reasonable price).

Any other enhancements on top of this would be great - but maybe not top priority.

Also, I am sure that if there are significant enhancements, most people will be willing to pay a reasonable upgrade fee for 4.0 - (if this would help speed things along for development). Creamware may stand to make more of a profit by putting the vintage synth thing on hold for a while to concentrate efforts on SFP 4.0. Releasing it at a reasonable upgrade fee that most users will purchase will have to get the cash flowing in way more than the number of people who might go for any specific new synth or effect released.

But remember to keep it at a price that will be hard to complain about - and only charge if the enhancements are good enough to be worth putting a price on (I really get angry when new versions of software are released that offer hardly any advantage and have a big upgrade fee.)
braincell

Post by braincell »

What I Like:

The flexiblity of the SFP.
Does not put a strain on my CPU.
Having the RAM of my computer available for samples.

What I do not like:

High prices
Major bug in Modular Synthesizer
Tedious and difficult STS interface

What I would like to see:

The STS needs to be revamped. It ought to be full screen. It needs to be more intuitive. Get rid of the ridiculous restriction of having only 4 samples per key group. Try not to make it a copy of the Akai.