Are you going to buy the new Scope hardware?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Are you going to buy the new Scope hardware?

Yes - straight away - I want IT NOW !!!!
13%
Yes - when I've saved up!
28%
Yes - when there is a cut down version/cheaper!
33%
No - I like my old cards - don't need new stuff
9%
No - too expensive
17%

Total votes: 89

kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

stardust wrote:Skat is a 3 player game :D
they've got still birgit hutmacher, she can jump in whenever ralf has to leave the desk and perform some magical key generation.

ah yes, canasta is another reason to have her around :)
it's just more fun when played by 4...

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Megakazbek2

Post by Megakazbek2 »

To me XITE-1 is expensive not only because of its actual price value, but also because I don't need most of its functionality. I don't need audio I/O, I don't need that huge DSP power (I had a 14 DSP card some time ago and was pretty happy with it). So I won't pay $4000 for a device only to use a small part of it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

so stay with the card! it's the same product! :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Without being too sceptical, I think it's a bit odd that self-proclaimed existing users all of a sudden deside to join the forum to voice opinions on a new product announcement.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

stardust wrote:I think the power will be unleashed with next gen plugins.

Let us wait how the existing ones perform there.
I hope to have a 16 voices with solaris plugin ;)
yep! new plug-ins and higher quality algos will likely need more power than the older plug-in stuff.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

<~Shroomz~> wrote:Without being too sceptical, I think it's a bit odd that self-proclaimed existing users all of a sudden deside to join the forum to voice opinions on a new product announcement.
OK, you found me out. i've skipped over from KvR. But my current $80 card and less than $200 Behringer Truths soundz better than this shitz. :P
borg

Post by borg »

As I said in the annoucements thread:

If I could recover enough money from my current cards or should SC consider a trade in action, them I'm in.

I wouldn't want to buy all my 3rd party or high end SC plugs again though. There's no point for me keeping cards in another computer (or even the same) just to use certain plugs...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
soul-synthesis

Post by soul-synthesis »

i'm satisfied with my 18dsp setup. I've got enough things to tweak and tinker for decades. The old creamware boards, a couple of keyboards and computer vsti, i'm pretty much set. I basically promised myself to stop at that, and learn all the tools until perfection. I personally dont need anymore tools to make things more complex. The new hardware's performance specs sound awesome (10x power of 14dsp boards) that would make things easier. Personally it's not going to make my music making abilities any better. It's not cost effective for me.

I'm ok sticking with a 4 cylinder car as opposed to a twin turbo v12 supercar. They both are capable of driving me to work :) Though one is much much quicker! :)

Ultimately though it's good to see the platform develop and progress for the next generation of "young guns".

:wink: :wink:
spacef

Post by spacef »

If I had one Xcite right now, power of 10*1 scope card would be used real quick...
In anything, the more power, the more you demand from the dsp, and the more you are going to mix/ directly on the dsp.
15 dsp is too few nowadays, and 30 dsp is far from enough . 10*1 scope is just enough :-) Even more, it is the minimum acceptable dsp power. depends on people probably... some people use Luna....
I speak for myself, but I do know what I did NOT put in my devices for sake of dsp power and useability on scope. With Xcite, I could add all those parts...
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, it's pretty nice looking. i/o expansion is a question, but the dsp power is great. i run up against 23 not being enough all the time.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

i have 33 dsp all the time i try to work ,and mixing, (44khz 24ms latency)with the full system
i have problems and scope slow down or not works at all
:o
i know there's some issue with pcioverflow and old software and driver,
i hope with the new software and card pcix you can
REALLY use the full power of 140 dsp 8)
and i hope scope 5 really improve the old cards in terms of stability and full dsp operativity
ALE
katano

Post by katano »

i've got 3 scope pros at the moment. and sometimes even that is not enough for my largest mixing projects with lots of Asio2-24bit channels, synths, dynatube and of course the famous A/P100.

and i don't talk about the loading times of such a project. and btw, the compare function in the stm mixers don't work either with large projects... it's just to much for these "old" cards.

so yes, i'm looking forward to the new platform, as i do all inside scope, except the hd recording, which is done in cubase...

cheers
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Mr Arkadin wrote:
<Shroomz> wrote:Without being too sceptical, I think it's a bit odd that self-proclaimed existing users all of a sudden deside to join the forum to voice opinions on a new product announcement.
OK, you found me out. i've skipped over from KvR. But my current $80 card and less than $200 Behringer Truths soundz better than this shitz. :P
Sounds about right !! :lol:
astroman

Post by astroman »

katano wrote:...and i don't talk about the loading times of such a project. ...
I think it's not too much speculation to expect a real improvement here, as the system is clocked much higher than before... (whatever chip they choose)

cheers, Tom
borg

Post by borg »

Another point to take into consideration: Did they address (most if not) all of the longlasting and well documented little bugs? Only time will tell.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
katano

Post by katano »

astroman wrote:
katano wrote:...and i don't talk about the loading times of such a project. ...
I think it's not too much speculation to expect a real improvement here, as the system is clocked much higher than before... (whatever chip they choose)

cheers, Tom
let's hope so! but there will for sure be some limitations with the older cards, some new plugs with lots of dsp demand or so. whatever, i'm quite sure SC does the marketing thing right this time...
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

early last year I was thinking that the future of the hardware would be some kind of outboard box, nice to see it come to pass, unfortunately at the same time I didn't think to have the funds to buy it when it comes out, so the box came into being but the money isn't here (yet). I think it's great, it'll be good to see how it works, but for now it's another thing on my long list of items to buy.