Are you going to buy the new Scope hardware?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Yes - straight away - I want IT NOW !!!!
13%
Yes - when I've saved up!
28%
Yes - when there is a cut down version/cheaper!
33%
No - I like my old cards - don't need new stuff
9%
No - too expensive
17%

Total votes: 89

sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Just a quick poll :D
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

as soon as i have the money...

target locked.

btw it seems its time for John C. to migrate the planetz finish into a black and white one... :D
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i'm going to wait to see what other hardware options come out - not necessarily cutdowns, so couldn't vote. Maybe there'll be Firewire, eSATA who knows? Or there'll be a box which converts the PCIe output to some other format. Anyway i want one but want to wait to see what all the options are before committing.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

right now this price tag is way too heavy for me.
I'd appreciate a cut down version with less dsp, more variable I/O and no preamps.
this XITE-1 seems to be for those who want the flexibility to go mobile with no additional gear and / or stationary use.
just stationary would be fine for me. hence no preamps.

but I will start saving right now, for being ready for the little brother, when it's there :)
I'm almost sure they'll do one. now they announced that new baby, anything is possible again...

-greetings, markus-

ps: Mr Arkadin, forget about (e)SATA. that is dedicated to mass storage.
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Mr Arkadin wrote:i'm going to wait to see what other hardware options come out - not necessarily cutdowns, so couldn't vote. Maybe there'll be Firewire, eSATA who knows? Or there'll be a box which converts the PCIe output to some other format. Anyway i want one but want to wait to see what all the options are before committing.
I'm in the same boat. I want to see if there are other I/O options, etc.

I will have one tho.

ns
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

kylie wrote:
ps: Mr Arkadin, forget about (e)SATA. that is dedicated to mass storage.
That was just an example i threw out off the top of my head. i was putting out the idea there might be different (not necessarily cheaper) versions that might suite my needs more. Or in fact the Xite-1 may be the box i prefer - i just want to see ALL the options first.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Immediately, if there is some upgrade offer, otherwise have to wait for cut down && save enough money :(
Really I cannot say I miss anything but Mac support or some bug fix, but currently I don't even have a mac, so it is out of my budget.
at least If there will be an osx driver I could buy a magma (and a mac) for my pci scope...
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Mr Arkadin wrote:
kylie wrote: ps: Mr Arkadin, forget about (e)SATA. that is dedicated to mass storage.
That was just an example i threw out off the top of my head.
well, I just wanted to maintain some realism. there are lots of options, and many possibilities, but some things simply don't match :wink:

let's just wait for the facts now. I don't deny that it is difficult, now that we were thrown into pure XITEment...

-greetings, markus-
--
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

I would like to suggest another options to the poll.
-Too expensive for what it offers
- Too expensive for my budget, I´lll can´t afford it.
- Too expensive for me. Maybe I´ll can affor it within a year.

There is an important thing to have in account. In this Poll, will be opinion of users already in the Platform, what will apreciate the power of the device. New posible users probably would have a diferent opinion, in relation the price and the knowledge of the platform.
At my point of view, I think Sonic-Core would try to became a standard. I think that would give them much more money in long-term, something like protools does, trying to dominate the market.
I think that the price would be at the level that home users could be tempt to spend extra money, but 3000 euro are too much for that.

In the other side, I consider another important point. It´s not the same 3000 euro in Germany, than in Spain, Italy etc, and not to mention other countries, and even USA with the actual currency situation.
Salaries are quite diferent in diferent countries withing Europe, and putting a price too high would limit the sales. The problem I see is not mainly on the winnings at short-term, but maybe a massive selling would give back massive users, and so much more plugin selling futhermore the selling of other Sonic-Core devices like the AD-16, ASB etc etc, would increase them all if the company wins a good reputation.
Think about Protools, half the world rotate around them while it doesn´t offer nothing special, and Creamware have been too much alone while offering unique features.
I pray that Sonic Core read this and think about it .
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

:roll: For some the glas is always half empty i suppose. Is it too expensive, for the equivalent of 140 DSPs? Imagine if they do a half-power cutdown version for €1500 - that's still 70 DSPs in old money.

ProTools got themselves to the top with overpriced kit. This is not overpriced, but yes i agree, to the 'KvR' crowd this will appear too expensive - someone already commented he could buy six AMDs and run loads of VSTi for the same cost :roll:
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Well you can buy 50 best VSTi and they still cant do what minimax can (not to mention others) so there you go. I am buying XITE-1 ASAP
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I will try to steal the messe unit ! :D

I am 99% that SC did almost everything correct. And i promise that this box will be a full success.

Even if some poeple whine about the high price. Its either adressed to pro studios or to extreme home user entusiasts. And none of that groups will deny to pay the request "exclusive" price.

If you wanna have an Alesis Andromeda at home you also have to pay 2700 bucks.
And PCM91 also does not come for 100 bucks.

Quality has its price.

And without doubt, the XITE is a pure quality product!

At th end, SC does not need to sell 100000 of them to make a good living from it, as they are a small group.
menno

Post by menno »

I will wait till the usual Christmas special when they sell it half price and with all plugins imaginable.

:D
hubird

Post by hubird »

hehe...not this time I think:-)
husker

Post by husker »

menno wrote:I will wait till the usual Christmas special when they sell it half price and with all plugins imaginable.

:D
Xmas 2018
bcslaam

Post by bcslaam »

I am glad of the new offering but I wont buy until there are more i/o options.

Many digital studios are farming out jobs to several computers, all with digital cards in them. Scope has been an excellent mixing/summing hub for all these.
Currently with my three card system I have 7 ADAT i/o and even this isn't enough.

I am hoping SC will bring out a xTDM to ADAT breakout box that doesn't skimp on i/o...seriously 12 adat i/o would be killer.

At least a rack with options for up to 12 adats.

Go SC!!!
sunset070

Post by sunset070 »

the x10 power wersion is good for 96 khz operation bat need zlink interface istead adat for use with a16U at 96 Khz,I think a 5x power version is appreciated for most scope user, 5x is more 3 scope prof. card.
In the past I have 3 scope pro card and never I have use the power of all 3 card,in fact I have selling the 3° card and work good with the two scope.
Aniway I'm happy that scope familly have new hardware for have scope support in the next year,I hope that this develoment is up for many year

Sorry for my henglish :-)
garyb

Post by garyb »

yep, if is works on vista and osx, the product is useable in the newest machines. Scope cards still work and exist and are the exact same software as the XITE. this is all good news. it's time for the Scope users to spread the word. everybody doesn't have use Scope, but people who really want to do some real work, recording and creation of sound and music, should definitely have it, sometimes even if they could afford to spend a whole lot more....
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Mr Arkadin wrote::roll: For some the glas is always half empty i suppose. Is it too expensive, for the equivalent of 140 DSPs? Imagine if they do a half-power cutdown version for €1500 - that's still 70 DSPs in old money.
I'm sure we agree that the XITE-1 is well worth it's money. maybe it is even underpriced for what it does. I don't see a reason why they should sell that unit for less.

but still I don't have the money to buy one right now. there's a lot of gear I'd like to have ( a more decent preamp, a top class mic, and the list continues).
still people have to stick with what they have, if they can't afford what they'd like to have. I have no problem with that.

see, I put some money into the platform I have right now. maybe I would have held my money back if I had known that those things would really happen. and maybe more poeple would have. but then, that development had to be funded by money. probably we should keep telling ourselves we just made a good investion into the future we (speaking of me and those people who have my budget) just can't benefit from (yet).

I can just hope SC will remember that we're out there, waiting for an XITE variant we can afford, with the necessesary restriction to justify a lower price and still enough power to justify the investion for the buyers.

go on, SC!

-greetings, markus-
--
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Mr Arkadin wrote::roll: For some the glas is always half empty i suppose. Is it too expensive, for the equivalent of 140 DSPs? Imagine if they do a half-power cutdown version for €1500 - that's still 70 DSPs in old money.

ProTools got themselves to the top with overpriced kit. This is not overpriced, but yes i agree, to the 'KvR' crowd this will appear too expensive - someone already commented he could buy six AMDs and run loads of VSTi for the same cost :roll:
well, maybe yesterday I was too pesimistic just feeling I will not can buy that.
I agree thata 5x power por 1500 would be a good choice for anyone. But today I see the glass half full, realize once the second hand old cards will be cheaper (will be unavoidable), the platform will have all this start points:
3 old DSP
6 old DSP
14 old SDP
Xite 5x of power (if they take it out)
Xite 10X

If they take out the 5x version, most Scope users will move to the new platform, then will be lots of old cards in the second hand market at affordable price that would be a good starpoint to home users.