Cable question..

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

aMo

Post by aMo »

Would a cable like this be any better against noise, than eight seperate cables?

I am only getting -80db on all analog inputs (white noise when gain is set high), is this bad?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aMo on 2003-06-10 17:40 ]</font>
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

When you add gain, you add everything - noise included. It is better to add gain before your converter. What is your noise level with the gain set to 0 in SFP?

The cable looks pretty cheap to me. Convenient, but cheap.
aMo

Post by aMo »

Yeah.. looks like cheap quality.. but I'd like a cable like that, with no compromise on quality... preferrably.. any suggestions?

my noise level is -80db when gain is set to 0, but I had the impression from the Alesis Ai3 ADAT interface manual, that I was supposed to get -100db.. I might be mistaken though..
astroman

Post by astroman »

when it's white noise without brzzzling and humming you have at least no ground, case or shielding probs :grin:

cheers, tom
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

This will probably make your noise level worse. These cables are all unbalanced, thus sensible to EM interference pickup and, since they're all parallel and as close together as can be, if one picks up that kind of noise, all the others will too.

If you can't use good balanced cables in your setup, you might want to take the time to do a search in the articles on the <a href=”http://www.sospubs.co.uk”>Sound On Sound</a> website. They have some good ones on wiring and grounding schemes.

BTW, these are Hosa cables, right?

RedSun .:.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedSun on 2003-06-10 23:14 ]</font>
aMo

Post by aMo »

They are Hosa right.. and they are also available in balanced..
But will it matter if it's balanced or not when the outputs of my Virus unbalanced?
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

It won't. Using balanced cables with unbalanced equipment will make you lose all their noise rejection benefits.

RedSun .:.
aMo

Post by aMo »

So what is best for connecting unbalanced cables? (short distance)
grotools

Post by grotools »

In general it's better to have them made especially. I never found unbalanced cables in the shops....
garyb

Post by garyb »

those hosa cables are o.k..better would be a higher quality cable w/ soldered ends such as mogami or canare or monster.you may have to make the snake yourself or custom order it.the extra expense is probably not justified,but if you have the money...........
aMo

Post by aMo »

hmm.. Why didn't I think of Monster?? hehe

This one looks like a winner..

The thing with collecting all the cables in a snake, is that if you twist them correctly, they will not have any effect on each other, this is why most cables have the positive and negative cable twisted around each other..

I only need one, so I can probably justify getting a Monster in a snake (haha I made a funny)..
astroman

Post by astroman »

yeah, like one of those Aussie watersnakes :smile:
but this has 8 legs, to me it looks more like a spider, Black Widow cable :cool:
the colors of my racing bicycle btw :grin: