ulli and pulsar1

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

One2Waziru

Post by One2Waziru »

I am still using a pulsar1 card togheter with an xtc card .
I just wonder if i will get full use ulli with cubase sx if I ad a luna2 or will the pulsar 1 card block me from this?
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

You get the Ulli from you fastest card - no problem.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
One2Waziru

Post by One2Waziru »

Even if I use the pulsar1 outputs?
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's what i hear...
One2Waziru

Post by One2Waziru »

You hear it in less than 13ms on44.1 16bit?
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Not sure about that last question, but I've run Pulsar I with a PulsarII srb and it worked fine at 7 ms ULLI, 3 ms was also possible.
/dave
jbraner

Post by jbraner »

One2,

I have a Pulsar I and Luna II.

All your communication with the PCI buss is via the one Card (ie the Luna II). This means that you get to use lower ULLI settings from the newer hardware. This card communicates with the Pulsar I via the STDM (is that what it's called?) cable, so it's like all the dsp and i/o are all part of the one fastest card.

John Braner
FreiFlug

Post by FreiFlug »

Hi,
what the others said seems to be correct. I got in contact with the CW support cause i wanted to buy a card from the new generation. To get the low ULLI latency you have to declare the new board as the first the computer should recognize ( boardid=[0] and so on)
astroman

Post by astroman »

indeed, for software only stuff that's correct.
If your project includes the Pulsar One IOs there's a small additional latency and processing required for transfering via STDM bus. Dunno how much but it's said to be much smaller than the difference between Pulsar One and Luna latency, it's present.
Anyway, for response of 'live' instruments it doesn't matter at all, but when it gets to mixdown even 0.5 ms (that's the 20 samples delay in my adat transfer) are clearly noticable on some signals.
Recently pushed up the fader of a pad that was parallel on 2 channels and the thing behaved like a comb filter.
Very irritating at first but completely regular due to phase extinction.

cheers, Tom
One2Waziru

Post by One2Waziru »

Thanks to all,You really helped me a lot!
stelibo

Post by stelibo »

On 2003-01-11 04:19, One2Waziru wrote:
I am still using a pulsar1 card togheter with an xtc card .
I just wonder if i will get full use ulli with cubase sx if I ad a luna2 or will the pulsar 1 card block me from this?
Do you have tried to put two Pulsars in your PC?

I am planning to connect the Pulsar 1 with my Pulsar 2 on the same machine via STDM? I have hear experience from another member of PLANETZ that after connect Pulsar I, Pulsar II and Pulsar XT together in same PC, he could not manage it. If he left in the machine the Pulsar 2 with the XTC, everything was fine. If he left the Pulsar 1 alone, again everything fine. When all the 3 together, he had all the time PCI overflows and other error messages. So, finally he gave up trying, and left the 2 newer cards in his DAW and the Pulsar 1 in his old PC.

In the PlanetZ some people told him that that the newer cards are not 100% compatible with the older cards when you connect 3 together. He don' know if this is true when I will try to connect only 2 cards. Pulsar 1 and Pulsar 2 only.

Searching PLANETZ database I have found that (I am not sure) Pulsar 1 "classic" SPDIF is optical. Is it true? What is this exactly? Can I connect RCA SPDIF from any S/PDIF compatible device to Pulsar 1 SPDIF and work correctly or do I need another connector/converter. Actually I need S/PDIF OUT from Behringer DDX3216 to Pulsar 1 S/PDIF IN for mix down. My Behringer DDX3216 has standard RCA S/PDIF.

Any experiences would be grateful.
Regards,
Bobi & KOMPAS band
BLUE production
astroman

Post by astroman »

maybe this reads strange, but have you thought about routing the Behringer's master out to 2 Adat channels, say #15 and #16, which you handle separately in SFP routing ?

cheers, Tom
stelibo

Post by stelibo »

Yes, but strange for me:) I am new in DAW world and still learning. But I will try that
Regards,
Bobi & KOMPAS band
BLUE production
Puddin'tate

Post by Puddin'tate »

So let me know this. my Pulsar 1 is before my Luna 2 as far as slot order. If I reverse them I should be able to get better ULLI then? Right now I'm at 23ms,If I try to lower it I get crackles and sluggishness in Cubase.
at0m

Post by at0m »

you can reverse board order also in cset.ini:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 59&forum=3
Puddin'tate

Post by Puddin'tate »

Thats a fine article for v 3.Pulsar/Luna whatever software.
But what do you change in SFP?It's a different animal in Cset from what I can see. Thanks in advance.
at0m

Post by at0m »

It's exaclty the same in SFP. If the lines don't exist in cset.ini yet, then add them.