Luna II and Pulsar Setup

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

Hello all - I was just wondering how to install a Luna II into a Pulsar I setup. I do not want to install the Luna software unless I have to, I just want the 3 xtra dsp's, and the new mixers. Other than the obvious (installing card/stdm cable), how is this done? Any pitfalls to avoid? I am anxiously awaiting my Luna's arrival tomorrow, and wanted to make sure everything will go allright. Thanx in advance. . .
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

It's rather smooth, actually, with only one known pitfall so far.

On the CUSL2 motherboard, slots 1+5 (the slot next to the agp and 5 over) share an IRQ, so they are the ones to put the two cards in. (And put the Luna II near the AGP since it has fewer DSPs and therefore heat).

You will need an STDM cable to connect the two cards together, the Luna II does not come with one.

Connect the two cards via STDM, and turn on the machine. It'll ask you for a driver. I think I pointed it to the Luna II CDROM that came with the card, and it detected it as a "Creamware DSP-Board" or similiar. I didn't install the Luna software, since it's just an expander with I/O. There might be a newer driver, because the one pitfall I had was when I shut down my computer, I got some strange ==nil error with Pulsar/Luna. This might indicate I used the wrong driver, or that CW need to make a change in the next version.

In the Pulsar software, in the DSP Meter area, you should see DSPs: 7, and Pulsar+Luna in the box.

I'm able to get about 9 Saturn voices now with a little space for some dynamics or a reverb. Over 16 UKNOW 007 voices, about 12 Zarg Comb Pro Fre voices.

Saturn pads are sweet.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I loaded the Luna/PowerSampler upgrade with no problems whatsoever.
Use the same IRQ (I use inner 3 slots on IRQ 5 on the CUSL2).
Also, if you have problems with registered plugins seeing either of the cards, then copy the keys into your scope.rgy file and vice versa for the Luna card.
Otherwise, if you don't have the Luna/PowerSampler/Elektra card(s), then don't bother loading the software for Pulsar.
Wait for the next Pulsar update.