OT: Layne Staley, A.I.C leader, is dead

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Fede

Post by Fede »

Maybe it is very off topic, but I'm too sad not to communicate this info...
If anyone of you knew that thing that has been Alice in Chains and their desperate contribute to the music over the 90's...another great soul leaves us
I can't find anything to say more...

:sad:

Fede
Adaption

Post by Adaption »

RIP Layne.

It is indeed a tragic loss.
snoopy4ever

Post by snoopy4ever »

Another great soul indeed :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: snoopy4ever on 2002-05-10 11:33 ]</font>
madmod

Post by madmod »

The World Loses another Great Artist.
and a great band
Madmod
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

The world looses yet another great star to drugs!!!
Rolling Stone had an obituary ready 3 years before he died, cause everyone was expecting it to happen.
Still it's sad.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Updated news: Layne died by an overdose of "speedball", that is a combination of heroin and cocaine, on 5th of April exactly same day as Kurt Cobain did in 1994. Now that is a very special date.

Fede
Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

And some days ago Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode consumed an overdose of this s***, too. After a visit in hospital he's in jail in California now.
So it will be "a question of time..."

Damn!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Well, yes, all very sad, a great talent, etc but really, drug OD ? What twits.
Fede

Post by Fede »

to Spirit

Yes, u r right, everybody has got his problems but there are many ways to solve them, I mean Cobain suffered of gastric problems and preferred to cure himself with heroin instead of taking Zantac.
But if you remember in 1993 Cobain was photographed with that T-shirt with the writing "Grunge is Dead" so it's a problem of Weltanschauung; all that music from Seattle was born sick with a deadly spirit, so sufferent and desperate feeling (that is exactly what I appreciate) takes inevitably to the immediate consequencies.
Poor them, they had made their contribute to humanity and did not loose their faith, some other people would deserve more that destiny

Fede

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StratoFede on 2002-05-13 08:08 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I know many great works are born in suffering, and that a tortured mind sometimes is the most creative. But I wonder:

- Do some of these people get *heavily* into drugs because it is part of the scene; or because they are a bit unbalanced to start; or to stay creative; or perhaps even because they have been seduced by the desperate angst and "die-young" Hollywood image.

Also, if they are going to intentionally kill themselves perhaps they could do it with more style. Drug overdoses are as common as muck. For real mood how about the lead singer of Joy Division (I forget his name :oops: ) who hanged himself.

Or how about Bon Scott of AC/DC who drank two bittles of scotch, passed out, then choked to death on his own vomit.

Then there are the just plain ridiculous deaths like the prize goose Michael Hutchence of INXS who accidently strangled himself while wanking :lol:

OK, it is tragic, and for no death should you laugh, but ....

<i>* Any man's death diminishes me, for I am concerned with mankind, so therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls, it tolls for thee *</i>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spirit on 2002-05-13 09:14 ]</font>
Fede

Post by Fede »

hmm I was thinking that it was Led Zeppelin's John Bonham who died drawn in his vomit, am I confusing? :oops:

well, yes, I don't want to defend anyone, everyone ,who *CAN*, makes his choices and is responsible of his life.

I was only considering how sometimes people even with great talents or good qualities waste themselves, this is not a good example for anyone, it is unacceptable for me and for other people who live believing in something:

it's like to say "Let's give in, we loose"

btw: I don't think this one is an example of death for hollywood fame or similar, he simply was addicted and overwent the threshold (it's good we don't do the same way with planetz addiction :lol:)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Bon Scott definitely died that way. Seems like this was the "popular" method before Heroin got big :grin:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Bah! A permanent solution to a temporary problem....
FreiFlug

Post by FreiFlug »

Sorry, but this story about Curt with the Zantac and so i find a little bit ridiculous. I work in a hospital where people like Curt and Layne detoxicate. Such storys are for the people who need an exlanation for all that shit. Most of the consumers are very very sensitive (that´s 1 reason for their creativity and so on) for all feelings and all of them know what they´re doing with their bodies. Only a part of them know exactly what their real problem is and when they recognize that they have the chance to overcome the craze.

Let them R.I.P. and don´t speculate what was the reason to take drugs and alcohol. They´ve done what they wanted to do

FreiFlug

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FreiFlug on 2002-05-14 01:06 ]</font>
Fede

Post by Fede »

Let them R.I.P. and don´t speculate what was the reason to take drugs and alcohol. They´ve done what they wanted to do

FreiFlug
didn't want to speculate in any way, the matter for me is the shame that represent these facts for all humanity.
That thing about Kurt's gastric problems was said by himself in an interview where he declared his drugs problems, there he said that he preferred to cure himself with heroin instead of using medicines, he hated doctors and their remedies.

I've got some friends that were addicted to heroin, the ones who still are here are HIV sieropositive and still remain friends, I know what's the sensitiveness they gained and this thing at all is something I estimate and appreciate very much.

My respect for them and for their choices is the max, although I cannot understand really what they lived and although I didn't choose their way

I don't want to judge their life in anyway, I only speak as I liked their music and art most of any other in latest years, and for me it's difficult to think I will never hear them again.

another time RIP Layne, Kurt

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StratoFede on 2002-05-14 03:17 ]</font>
Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

I have to draw back my message about Dave Gahan above.
It was a false report by Swiss TV DRS!

Sorry.
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

Thank god. I almost wet myself when i read it.
BIIIG DM fan you know.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

The guy was dead for 2 weeks before they found him. Can you imagine the smell?
Fede

Post by Fede »

On 2002-05-15 14:01, krizrox wrote:
The guy was dead for 2 weeks before they found him. Can you imagine the smell?
Oooh, this is very interesting thing I didn't focus on!

Thank you very much!

P.S.: if it wasn't for you, I'd never have noticed this aspect.
cook

Post by cook »

Writing music while intoxicated David Billen on August 3rd, 2001

Just introducing myself. I am David Billen, (SimSynth guy). I'm going to start putting some nice thought-out eds on this board

But for starters, I'd like to just make a simple plea to the music writing world:

Don't smoke weed or drop acid and make music.

Everyone knows all the best music in the world was written on heroin, alchohol, or even pain-killers. If you must create music while intoxicated, please for
all our sake, stick to these long proven substances.

Now - I can only speculate as to why this is true, but make no mistake, it IS true. My speculation is that because ganja and the like heighten appreciation of music, everything sounds good if you're stoned. So you create boring music and think it sounds fantastic.

On the other hand, downer drugs "numb" the brain and keeps anything from getting much of a rise out of you. It causes you to be wreckless and daring. It causes you to create something outrageous, rude, and adventurous!

It's all very scientific.

But most importantly - for the love of all that's holy - PLEASE don't drop acid and create long, long, long trance loops that really "mess with your head". They don't mess with any of our heads, 'cause we're just not in the sample place you were. For us, they are just long, and that's all.

Thank you for your time and attention.

http://www.fruityloops.com/English/frames.html
'Fruitzone' - no direct link.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cook on 2002-05-16 03:11 ]</font>