Masterverb Pro, how good is it compared to VSS3?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

snadge

Masterverb Pro, how good is it compared to VSS3?

Post by snadge »

I hear a lot about Masterverb on these boards and I still have to encounter it as I have my 1st pulsar board coming soon, this isn't the reason I am getting scope system though as my interest lies in the modular.

I have 4 TC Powercore Mk2 PCI cards in a magma chassis and these work perfectly alongside multi DSP virus plugin, I like to have one voice per DSP as the plugin is notorious for note stealing but the cards were cheap enough as a whole and it is a nice system, on one of these cards I acquired a VSS3 and DVR2 license and to tell the truth I find these reverbs superb plus they do not tax my PCI bandwidth with the powercore cards having their own dedicated RAM.

Masterverb sounds interesting but the thing that puts me off is that scope cards have no dedicated ram so that multiple instances will clog up PCI bandwidth by accessing my system RAM, it seems that this is a standard test to see how good a system is by seeing how many instances of Masterverb one can run at the same time.

So how good is Masterverb, is it better than VSS3 because that is the best reverb I have in my setup ( alongside DVR2 and Tap Factory)?
Sounddesigner

Re: Masterverb Pro, how good is it compared to VSS3?

Post by Sounddesigner »

I doubt masterverb is better. Masterverb has a really nice sense of true space when heard but still it is a mediocre reverb IMO. I think Celmo's Spring reverb is awesome and the best reverb for SCOPE IMO. When it comes to rooms, plates, halls, etc there are good options for SCOPE but those options are not great imo. I don't think rooms, plates, etc are SCOPE's strenghth and believe its a area where SCOPE doesn't sound better than Native, etc. SCOPE is strong and excells with Compressors, Spring reverb, delays, modulation, Synths, routing, Modular 4, SDK, etc but not with the type of reverbs your looking for imo (only good options, not great ones).

PS. Acon Digital just released a EXTREMELY natural and realistic algorithm reverb for Native that does Plates, halls, rooms, etc named verberate and its AWESOME, And Izotope's Nectar 2 has a OUTSTANDING Plate 140 .
If you love realistic and natural sounding reverbs you might love Verberate, try the demo here - http://acondigital.com/products/verberate/

Nectar 2 - http://www.izotope.com

The beauty of SCOPE is it integrates other platforms to cover its weak points.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
djmicron

Re: Masterverb Pro, how good is it compared to VSS3?

Post by djmicron »

using a combination of multiple reverb sessions can improve the reverb result, this is true on scope or whatever reverb you use.
On scope there is also the rmx 160 which is really good.
There are lots of possibilities today to get good reverberation, also convolution reverbs such as the one included with reaper are useful in the right hands, but on scope dsp's the sounds sits better in the mix.