Need purchasing advice

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

DailyGrind

Post by DailyGrind »

I was planning on getting a Nord Modular and a Waldorf Microwave XT before I heard about Pulsar but I don't know anyone who actually owns a Pulsar system who can confirm whether or not it's as good as it sounds.

I know this is like comparing apples and oranges so I'd like to limit the comparison to the quality of the Modular and wavetable synths that comes with the pro-pack. How flexible are they compared to the Nord Modular and the Waldorf XT? How is the sound quality compared to these units? If the modular and wavetable synths are just as good as their hardware counterparts I'd consider everything else you get with Pulsar icing on the cake. However, if the Nord Modular and Waldorf XT blow these two features away, I'd like to stick to my original purchasing decision.

Thanks!
Peter
ronaldmeij

Post by ronaldmeij »

Stop the press

I just downloaded a saturn FREE synth
It is just like a acces virus or waldorf

GREAT GREAT AND FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

Pulsar's more versatile than either synth & in some ways better sounding, although I would say that in general the Microwave sounds bigger & the nord sounds more up-front (although the sound between the nord & modular 2 is close). SynC Modular also does that Nord sound quite well.

Personally, I've held on to a Nord micro modular & a MWXT in addition to the Pulsar. Nothing can replace a Microwave XT, not even the Q comes close.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Here's my advice based on my experience.
Get Pulsar and a 2nd hand Micro Modular.
The Nord Modular is brilliant except that it can't load samples, which in my opinion is the great advantage of the V2 Modular in Pulsar, (and The Red Dwarf come to that). The Nord interface is very good, better than Pulsar, but Pulsar is more versatile.
The money you'd save on not getting the 4-slot Nord can go towards another board and/or an STS Sampler. As I said, (sort of), in another post, you can sample the sounds from the Micro and load them into Pulsar and that frees up another voice in the Nord.
I could give you comparisons of The Nord Micro, Pulsar V2 and Reaktor using the same set of modules if you like.
Robert
DailyGrind

Post by DailyGrind »

I just listened to the SynC Modular demo and it does sound pretty similar to the nord modular. I just read the blurb on their website about the designer collaborating with NI so I'm assuming Reaktor 3.0 sounds even better.

I have no idea how powerful the Pulsar's SHARC DSPs are but I'm planning on purchasing a G5 Mac when they come out next year and assume that Reaktor running on a G5 would be more powerful than the Modular2 on the Pulsar II card. Given my choices, Reaktor may be the better PC-based solution and a used Nord Modular could be worth it just for the control surface. Either way, it sounds like Pulsar doesn't do wavetable synthesis as well as the XT so hardware may be the way to go...

Thanks for the info!
Peter
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

The difference isn't just in the wavetables, the waldorf almost sounds like there's something going on with the stereo field to make it sound wider. I've been able to cop it on Pulsar using tricks (extremely slight delays & choruses), the thing to try next is to use 4 wavetable oscillators & panning 2 hard on each side.
DailyGrind

Post by DailyGrind »

I good friend of mine suggested that I go with the original microwave (if I can find one) over the XT since it has real analog filters and sounds much better in his opinion. Time to start watching ebay... :smile:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Hi, I own both Nord Modular and Pulsar II so maybe I can offer some advice.

First of all, you have to beware because Pulsar OS is very slow and graphic intensive. Peak meters and VU meters don't move in real time. (as far as I can see) Also, the Pulsar modular package is somewhat unintuitive, compared to Nord's software. I personally like patching in Nord better. For example, with Nord I'd connect a Saw OSC to and EG and I'd get amplitude controlled by the EG... but in Pulsar, I'd have to connect a saw OSC to a DCA audio in, and then connect an EG to the DCA's control signal in to get the same result. Also, Nord's software is much more faster and making polyphonic patches in Nord is much easier too.

As of sound quality, pulsar definitely sounds more 'powerful' than Nord. Nord often sounds a bit on the weaker side. Maybe it's my patches, I can't be sure. Alot of times, I spend time tweaking my Nord recordings with eq and dynamics to make it stand out. Again, this could be my fault.

Also, I should warn you that Pulsar definitely has MIDI problems. You'll notice that it gets stuck notes way too often. I avoid using Pulsar for live performances. Though I've done it before only using Pulsar's internal 16step sequencers. It works OK with internal MIDI signals. Nord Modular also has its MIDI problems but I haven't had any yet. (had it for year and a half now) Both Nord's and Pulsar's 16 step sequencers have trouble synchronizing with my Triton. Pulsar's sequencers are somewhat jerky when clocked from a PC sequencer.

A simple prewarning about Nord Modular is not to get the keyboard version. It's just not playable. I trigger it with something else all the time. So if you're getting Nord Modular, save a few bucks and get the rack version.

I haven't used my Nord Modular since I got Pulsar not because Pulsar is better than Nord Modular but just because I took it off my stand for live use. But take my word for it, you'll start using Pulsar as if it were a hardware synth. It sounds as good and is that responsive. but not as consistant as a hardware synth, such as the Nord Modular.

Hey, and don't forget, if you want to para in/out of Pulsar, you'll need the Luna box or some sort of ADAT mixer.

I hope this helps. Either way, you can get any of the instruments you've listed.. I think they're all top notch analogue style synths. But it won't change the fact that none of them can exist by itself. (they're not dream synths) How well would they fit into your production line??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2001-09-30 07:05 ]</font>
sinix

Post by sinix »

I owned a Mw XT up to last week (sold it after 2 years) and have had several chances to play with a Mw I at a friends studio.

While the Mw I has a warmer filter section for sure, it's not even in the same ball park as the XT to program! The XT has 44 knobs to move and adjust parameters. The original MW has 1 or 2. Same basic number of parameters mind you and a SMALL 2 line LCD. Access Music got it's start by making a knobbed controller (out of production long ago) for the MW I, so keep in mind it's an absolute bitch to program.

That in itself is reason enough to get an XT. While I really like the XT, in general I just sold off a huge amount of gear to slim down the studio and get a Pulsar II or PowerPulsar.

I'm keeping a Virus-b and Andromeda, while everything else will be Pulsar and native virtuals like Attack and Reaktor.

The XT has a pretty unique sound... I used it not to be analog, but more cold and digital to the bone. It excells at all the weird and atmospheric sounds that most synths struggle to get, but it was far from being a "bread & butter" sounds type of synth. Add to a existing setup, but don't count on it being your main synth.

- sinix
lionel_talkover

Post by lionel_talkover »

Concerning midi, Pulsar has no problem with an external midi interface like emagic unitor.

I'm not a modular pro, but it term of sound quality, dynamic and stereo, the modular 2 is far from reaktor. Concerning the possibilities, I can't compare.

Anyway for the price, Pulsar 2 is a good solution. If you already have a mixing console, effects, and some external synths, there's a discusion. If you're starting from zero, choose Pulsar.
DailyGrind

Post by DailyGrind »

I really appreciate all the great advice you guys are giving me. I'm definitely looking to expand my sound palette since I've got all the bread and butter sounds covered and then some. I'm selling off a bunch of my synth gear to consolidate my setup but here's what I plan on keeping:

Yamaha Motif8
Roland XV-5080
Kawai K5000
Korg OASYS PCI card

I also have a PowerMac 8600/250 (which I'll be selling in favor of a G5 when they come out), Korg 168RC digital mixer, MOTU 2408 and Digital Performer.

I really want to add a synth action controller to my setup so I'm planning on getting a VA for that, either a Waldorf Q or I might wait until the Virus C comes out. I'd also like to add a modular synth and a good wavetable synth for effects and stuff that's too weird/not possible to program on the VA. That's where I thought Pulsar might come in handy - I was hoping it would replace the need for a separate wavetable and modular synth...
DailyGrind

Post by DailyGrind »

Based on my last reply, I have the following questions about your earlier responses...

Sinix, if I went with the MW I, wouldn't I be able to program it using the knobs on the Virus or Q? If I could, then I wouldn't be too worried about the interface of the MW I. If not, I'd stick with the XT since I don't want to buy just another preset box.

Assuming I went with one of the Microwaves instead of using the wavetable synthesis in Pulsar, I'm a bit confused by Lionel's response. Did you mean the sound quality of Modular2 is much better than Reaktor or is Reaktor much better than Modular2? I'm assuming that Reaktor running on a G5 would be at least as powerful as Modular2 running on a Pulsar II card. Either way, if I just ended up purchasing Pulsar for the modular, I might as well consider Reaktor or the Nord Modular.

Thanks again!
Peter
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Modular2 is MUCH better sounding than reaktor and simpler to use too.

Reaktor is very versatile, but doesn't sound as good.

Post by sinix »

No, it is not realistic to program a Mw-I with another synth... that'd be a very difficult task to do.

An editor like Sounddiver might be an alternative, but thoroughly investigate it's ability to do this first.

- sinix
DailyGrind

Post by DailyGrind »

I was hoping to control SoundDiver with the knobs from another unit. I just hate using the mouse as a control unit... My friend said I could borrow is MW I sometime so I'll give that a shot before I buy anything. Thanks!