POD Pro for dynatube

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

POD Pro for dynatube

Post by bosone »

if you plan to record dry guitar tracks to be amped with dynatube, i found POD pro a very good choice.
you can set pod pro as a "tube-preamp" modeler, add some drive and EQ control. you can even add distortion, if you want.
then, with the spdif, you send a VERY clean signal to dynatube. there's absolutely no noise. it's spectacular!
even the VAMP would work, but i feel POD PRO has a better AD converter and is more versatile in adding distortion and drive to get distorted sounds with dynatube.

and dynatube sounds better than POD, according to me! ;)
dante

Re: POD Pro for dynatube

Post by dante »

I use Digitech ValveFX as the pre to Dynatube Marshall, works a treat. Now also I have Propellerhead Record which has Line6 built in, havent tried that as a pre to Dynatube yet, might be similar to what you're describing - except for the DA for which I have Alesis AI3.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I hope we get more Dynatube development.
Atomic Marshmallow

Post by Atomic Marshmallow »

bosone wrote:if you plan to record dry guitar tracks to be amped with dynatube, i found POD pro a very good choice.
you can set pod pro as a "tube-preamp" modeler, add some drive and EQ control. you can even add distortion, if you want.
then, with the spdif, you send a VERY clean signal to dynatube. there's absolutely no noise. it's spectacular!
even the VAMP would work, but i feel POD PRO has a better AD converter and is more versatile in adding distortion and drive to get distorted sounds with dynatube.

and dynatube sounds better than POD, according to me! ;)

I have a Pod Pro version 1, so I'll give it a go. I use many tools for my guitar sounds. I also use an Ensoniq DP4 +. I have Dynatube and Guitar Rig 3 soon to be 4. Maybe you will consider me a heathen, but for me Guitar Rig 3 is my favourite and the one I go for first. I just love the flexibility and to my ears at least, clarity of tone and option of not commiting myself to a sound. I hardly ever play my Pod Pro these days. I find the sound too brittle and lacking depth. To my ears, the DP4 + sounds far better than the Pod, though I don't like to commit myself to a fixed sound when recording guitar parts, which is why I love Guitar Rig. I still haven't been able to coax anything that I am happy with from Dynatube. Perhaps, I need to experiment more, but I feel I have given the Dynatube bundle a decent amount of tweaking. To me at least, it shouldn't need that much hard work to get a good guitar sound. To my ears it has a kind of metallic sub tone to it. Any tips on coaxing a decent sound from it?

Seeing that I mentioned the DP4 +, is anyone out there using one too? My battery is flashing low so is in need of a change. I am useless at practical things like soldering (the Battery on the DP4+ needs to be soldered into place when changing). I heard that there is a way to buy a clipping device to stick on the circuit board so that when you change batteries there isn't the hassle of soldering but just clipping into place. One of my work colleagues is handy with a soldering iron and I would prefer he do it than me. Is it a straightforward thing to do? Because if he screws it up, it may be unrepairable due to Ensoniq not existing anymore and that would be a real shame.

Thanks
voidar

Post by voidar »

I like to use that old, free SpaceF Dragon device as a drive/compressor for Dynatube.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Forget the fact that Dynatube ain't working with Scope 5. Just forget it.

I just discovered the Vandal amp sim in Samplitude 11. Holy cow. If you haven't tried that yet, you gotta get right on over there all you shredders. Yeooowwwwww.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Dynatube is working in Scope 5 here thank you very much :D.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Dynatube is working in Scope 5 here thank you very much :D.

Did you have to get new keys? Mine doesn't work and I have a valid copy.

Ya know what - I don't even care. This Vandal thing blows Dynatube away.
garyb

Post by garyb »

do you have the latest version of Dynatube and v5? Dynatube works in v5.

Dynatube is just an amp, not a distortion box. i agree there are better amps for shredding, but a good pedal is even better....
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

krizrox wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:Dynatube is working in Scope 5 here thank you very much :D.
Did you have to get new keys? Mine doesn't work and I have a valid copy.
Emailed Ralf Bach and got new keys, although you just reminded me that Vinco DT doesn't work and I need new keys for it.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

garyb wrote:do you have the latest version of Dynatube and v5? Dynatube works in v5.

Dynatube is just an amp, not a distortion box. i agree there are better amps for shredding, but a good pedal is even better....

I have the Dynatube version I paid for originally and had been using for the past few years. Is that the problem? I need an updated version of the software? If so how do I obtain it? Contact SC? I also had ProTone which doesn't seem to be working either. I don't think any of my Celmo amp sims work either but he never responded to my emails so I let it go. Frankly, this seems immaterial to me now. Not sure why I even ask the question.

I agree Dynatube is not a "distortion box" but it does provide distortion effects the way any guitar amp simluator would. In fact I'm sure I've used it on vocals a few times in the past with good results. Dynatube was a decent enough amp sim back in the day but I wouldn't call it God's gift to mankind. The latest version of almost everything blows Dynatube away. That Peavey amp sim is really nice. This Vandal thing is great but as far as I know, it only comes bundled with Samplitude. Although I thought I read somewhere that they might go retail with it. Even NI Guitar Rig is worth looking into. Line6 Amp Farm.

The VST-based amp simulator concept has come a long way in the past few years. The only distinct advantage to Dynatube is the fact it runs off of DSP resources instead of host processor resources.
voidar

Post by voidar »

v5 does not use the same keys as the earlier versions, so you have to send your old Dynatube keys to S|C and get the new ones.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

voidar wrote:v5 does not use the same keys as the earlier versions, so you have to send your old Dynatube keys to S|C and get the new ones.

I don't even know where to look for that stuff any more. Didn't all the old product keys used to reside in an on-line user area? I don't see that anymore unless I'm just blind. I still have the original OXE file but it's labeled dynatube_Bundle_Nokeys.oxe which leads me to believe this original OXE file didn't need a key? Honestly, it's been too long since I've had to think about any of this. I still have the original email receipt from the Dynatube purchase but there wasn't a key listed there either.
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Just write ralf and send him your allkeys file or the hardware serial from your card(s).He knows what you have and will get you the new keys.Its really simple. :)
voidar

Post by voidar »

There should be a keyfile in the "bin" directory. Also a registry file (pre v5). The oxe system doesn't work any more.
If you have lost your old keys or can't figure how to find them again then I am afraid I can't help you. In the early days I used to write them down in the user manual.

Maybe S|C can help. You still have a unique hardware serial number. S|C might be able to work something off of that.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Fluxpod wrote:Just write ralf and send him your allkeys file or the hardware serial from your card(s).He knows what you have and will get you the new keys.Its really simple. :)

Well, I had done that already when I switched over to V5 from V4.5 back in December. I have a funny suspicion that there was never a key added to my original allkeys file. The actual dynatube bundle OXE file seems to indicate Nokeys (whatever that means). Is it possible the file they sent me originally didn't need a key? Is that what that means? That might explain why it wasn't included in the new V5 allkeys file.

All I'm going to end up sending him is the same file I sent originally. I'll forward the original email receipt too. I'll move this offline and deal direct with SC. Not worth wasting any more forum space to this matter :-) Not actually sure how much more milage I'll get from Dynatube anyway.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Have you been on Mars krizrox? :lol: The User Area hasn't been there since late CreamWare days, never SC :lol:. Good to see you keeping abreast of developments. The no-keys files are just the devices with no keys - you still need a key to run them but it just lets you install them in readiness. Dynatube in Scope 5 is the same software as before, just needs new keys. You may need to explain what's happening though as I had new keys but it took a few attempts to get the Dynatube keys correct.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

krizrox wrote: Not worth wasting any more forum space to this matter :-) Not actually sure how much more milage I'll get from Dynatube anyway.
Well it's good for sticking synths through too - not everything is heavy metal you know. :P
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Have you been on Mars krizrox? :lol: The User Area hasn't been there since late CreamWare days, never SC :lol:. Good to see you keeping abreast of developments. The no-keys files are just the devices with no keys - you still need a key to run them but it just lets you install them in readiness. Dynatube in Scope 5 is the same software as before, just needs new keys. You may need to explain what's happening though as I had new keys but it took a few attempts to get the Dynatube keys correct.
Ha, yeah - well, it's true I haven't been paying close attention. Nothing of any merit was happening over there for so many years. I guess I got tired of looking and just stopped paying attention. Even when the user account was up and working I don't recall peeking at it more than a handful of times in 10+ years.
dante

Post by dante »

I hope we get more Dynatube development.
If the Dynatubes really do sound and work just like what they are modelling, Vox, Marshall, Messa Boggie etc... then not much more to develop unless they add more models, but I guess they figured Marshall and Boogie etc would be the ones shredders would want most.....

As for Vandal Amp, correct me if Im wrong, but I gather this not a model of a classic ? So therefore comes down to whether shredder wants a new sound or specifically to emulate classic sound of rigs they may have used or hanked for in the past....

I mean, are we now at a point when a new software guitar rig sounds better than any of the classics, and they are now going to have to build the 'real thing' ( based on rig sim of something that doesnt even exist in hardware ) for guitarists to use live ? Or will guitarist just plug guitar ==> notebook ==> PA ? LOL !!!!