And the freezing continues

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yish313

And the freezing continues

Post by yish313 »

Okay, ive got scope running and can bang out some masterpieces with this little home card(mmmm dsp chips), But i havent the chance to do just that because of the freezing while composing bit going on here.

WinXP sp2
Intel Dual Core 2 Duo
Nvidia Nforce 570 SLI MoBo(c19xe&mcp51 chipset)
Geforce Nvidia 7100 Video Card PCI-Express
system drive, seperate audio drive and one storage drive
1 gig ram ddr2

Ive read and read and read and read.

i eliminated the active sensing bit by unplugging my usb keyboard, ive stopped using the midi source/dest routes, i even prevented xp from using the wave/directsound sound portion of the card by disabling it in device manager. no irq sharing no forced hardware. Hell i even disabled the midi driver in device manager. (i am a bit of a techie)

the last thing i tested caused it to crash.

just the scope midi keyboard, i tapped a few keys and it froze

All Scope by its lonesome.

I have stayed up late nights until the crack of dawn and beyond to get this right. I will not give up. I feel the solution is a simple thing. as so are "needles", But the "haystack" presents a problem. :wink:

all advice is welcome. :)

p.s. as of the end of this post i will further eliminate the scope keyboard split to the 2 samplers and feed just one.

I go to sleep now it is 10am in the morning

P.S.S Manic, we will be ready this evening.
Attachments
arghhh.jpg
arghhh.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 3492 times
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

When you installed did you follow the instructions regarding ASPI Layer? i doubt it's that but you should do it anyway. Check the installation read me for further details.
Tau

Post by Tau »

Have you tried moving the card to a different PCI slot? Do you have the same problem with different latency settings?

It seems a bit weird... If everything else fails, it's a good idea to make a clean XP installation and see how that goes - maybe you can do it with a different harddisk or on a different partition so you don't lose your work. SP2 is essential, but if you're using the english XP, there's an SP3 already, i used it on my last scope installation and it works pretty well...

As a final idea, and since it is an older card with some use, maybe it loses contact every once in a while (although that would probably cause an error message) .You could clean the contacts really well and see if it improves. Usually, a very pure alcohol is reccomended, but I had better results using a special cleaning spray that's made for tuners (it's called Lubri-Limp no.5) - this is made not to alter the electrical capacity of the components and is very dry (not as oily as the usual cleaning spray)

Anyway, wish you the best of luck. Scope systems are a bit of a pain to get going, but as soon as you sort it out, it stays on!

Cheers,

T
garyb

Post by garyb »

what is sharing an irq with the Scope card?

aspi is no loger needed....
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

garyb wrote: aspi is no loger needed....
Oh OK, been a while since i re-installed :lol:
yish313

Re: And the freezing continues

Post by yish313 »

yish313 wrote:no irq sharing no forced hardware. Hell i even disabled the midi driver in device manager. (i am a bit of a techie)
srry Gary, i made sure that i put that up here as you've stated it quit alot in other post.

I have a pretty clean and stable system. Sessions on top of sessions on top of composing on top of mixing ...etc. Hasn't frozen in at least 2 years.(and that was because of a now replaced ram module)

The problem seems to stem from midi interactions as using scope as a mixer with effects proves flawless.

I even played a midi file and triggered Scope with it (MidiBar app), it froze.

I will say this, when it freezes, the sound stutters, but if you listen long enough to it, you notice that it changes as if it still playing. A lockup
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Ah! by the sounds of your last bit it sounds like you may have run out of RAM or your CPU is at 100%

Activate Task manager and monitor bothe to see.

If you're not getting a blue screen then it's not a crash just a lock up as you said.

P.S. Look forward to it.

You will love this system even though your stuff sounds great already.You guys can mix well too.
Lima

Post by Lima »

I've also got some serious midi troubles in the past. I remember I've lost about 2 months to sort them out (different windows installations and re-installations ecc)... :-(

http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... light=midi

Now everything works perfect :-D

The trick in my case was to install a second CHEAP soundcard (a soundblaster) and to record the midi with it.

Actually i've changed the computer (new motherboard, new graphic card, new and more ram, reinstalled the os etc..) and I've also installed an MT4 (usb midi box). My system still works stable, but I don't have tested the scope midi ports yet.

My suggestion is to buy a cheap soundcard (an old is perfect and you can find it used for 10 Euro or so) or a MT4 (better this one, because it has more ports and is USB) and record midi with it.
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
garyb

Post by garyb »

bad cable whip?
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit »

Someone mentioned Memory do scope cards have a onboard memory cache for dealing with the midi stream? If so this could be the reason for crashes.
Last edited by Mr-Bit on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit »

"bad cable whip? "

Mmmm possibility a grounding problem will try without thanks.
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit »

Lima wrote:I've also got some serious midi troubles in the past. I remember I've lost about 2 months to sort them out (different windows installations and re-installations ecc)... :-(

http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... light=midi

Now everything works perfect :-D

The trick in my case was to install a second CHEAP soundcard (a soundblaster) and to record the midi with it.

Actually i've changed the computer (new motherboard, new graphic card, new and more ram, reinstalled the os etc..) and I've also installed an MT4 (usb midi box). My system still works stable, but I don't have tested the scope midi ports yet.

My suggestion is to buy a cheap soundcard (an old is perfect and you can find it used for 10 Euro or so) or a MT4 (better this one, because it has more ports and is USB) and record midi with it.
Last edited by Mr-Bit on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's VERY strange.
Scope midi has it's problems, sure. but it's normally very dependable talking to the sequencer.

i've done quite a few installs and everything works, like everytime...except when there's a file system problem or if there's broken hardware somewhere...

Scope cards may make life easier for the cpu, but they are very demading of the motherboard and will show flaws that other audio cards won't...

i have seen a broken wire inside the d-sub on the cable whip make the system unstable before, it's worth checking since midi is an issue. also, you might as well try to reseat the card itself. i doubt that this will help, but it couldn't hurt. :)
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit »

HOLY SCOPE!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Mr-Bit on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)

that's just from staying power....

you should be able to fix the whip pretty easily if you use a clamp and a small tip on the iron...
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit »

To everyone else with problems keep trying it's worth it, a stable scope system IS POSSIBLE not just a fanboy myth, Goodluck everyone and thanks again GaryB and others for there tireless support and advise long live PlanetZ!
Last edited by Mr-Bit on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Mr-Bit wrote:GaryB is king

GaryB I owe you a beer !
pull a number, and take your place in the long row of those who owe him a beer or other drinks, too :)

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit »

I think it might be multiple problems next stop
give the card and contacts a good clean/
Last edited by Mr-Bit on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Try a project without any STS-samplers, only with synths.
It's a pity, but the STS-samplers seem to work not properly under winXP, when you use a sequencer.
So I decided to use a STS-3000 on my second computer which uses still win98 and a Luna, and connect it via MIDI and ADAT with my DAW.
I would like to hear a result.

Greetz, Thomas
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

D-Subs ? Cable Whips ?

What are these ? :)