2 Computer Setup

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

soundz

2 Computer Setup

Post by soundz »

Somehow, I've ended up with this configuration of gear and would like to figure out how to maximize it. I would like to not buy any new hardware, but could make exceptions. Any suggestions are appreciated. My equipment:

1 new fast PC laptop with lots of RAM, Yamaha X01 audio interface, M-Audio Axiom, running cubase, reason, rewire, vst stuffs.

1 old not so fast PC desktop with an ok amount of RAM, Pulsar I (with A/D, D/A converters giving me a total of 32 analog ins and outs), Midi Express XT Parallel Interface (gives me something like 8 MIDI ports)

A bunch of hardware synths are connected to the desktop computer via the Midi Express, most of the inputs go back into the Pulsar.

I used to use my Pulsar setup a lot, but my needs changed when I had to take things mobile, which is why I ended up with the laptop setup. I no longer have to take things mobile, and I would like to maximize my gear (both for MIDI and audio).

I'm thinking of using my laptop as the master and somehow triggering synths on the Pulsar and my hardware synths (keep in mind that these are all connected to the desktop computer via the MIDI interface). Would MidiOverLan allow me to do something like this?

How can I maximize my time spent on the laptop, and not have to go to the Scope interface? Will something like FX-Transport help me in any way (audio-wise)?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy
soundz

Post by soundz »

stardust wrote:Midi over Lan will work for sure if you have 100kbit LAN minimum.
This becomes even more important for Teleport.
But you dont need teleport if you use the midi overlan for the Midi and lets say a couple of ADAT between the audio engines of PC and laptop.

So all you need is an ADAT interface for the Laptop to transfer digital audio between tzhe PCS.
Thanks for the reply. I tried out MIDI Over Lan, which worked fine, but ended up going with a combination of MidiTrix and MidiYoke since they are both free. Although it took a bit longer to figure out w/o support, I actually like how MidiTrix puts things in a matrix/spreadsheet-like format. It's working like a charm.

I just gotta rebuild the desktop now adding the Pulsar II card that I just picked up 2nd hand for real cheap!

I don't have the ADAT going b/w my laptop and desktop yet, but I think I am ok mixing in 2 computers for now and running stuff b/w the 2 computers through my analog patchbays as needed.

Also haven't tried out Transport yet, but that's for another time. Let me make some music first!