My first synth plug is about to be ready - the OSS 107

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

HUROLURA

My first synth plug is about to be ready - the OSS 107

Post by HUROLURA »

After 6 months having received the SDK, I just found time to achieve a beta version of my first synth plug (a preview is available bellow).

I would like to thank all the people who help me to get to this point and especially:
- ShroomZ for his GUI graphic elements and advices
- Neutron for providing some exemple projects which help me to get my way and learn how to survive in the SDK jungle
- My french speaking friends from MaoMusique ( www.maomusique.com ) for their help and support.
- grutgrut for selling me the Scope Pro Board without which I would not be able to get there

To further test this device now, I would need some Behringer BCR-2000 owners to test it together with this type of hardware surface control and generate some preset file to share with other PlanetZ members.

Anybody interested just tell it and I will send the first package to the volunteers as soon as it is ready (in a few days probably).
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

OSS 107.jpg
OSS 107.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
Last edited by HUROLURA on Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JLS

Post by JLS »

New synth GREAT :-)
sharc

Post by sharc »

Congratulations! :)
Lima

Post by Lima »

Wow! Looks very promising!!! Congratulation! :-D
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Added one simple sound example done quickly with 2 instances of the OSS 107 and the CW Arpeg 02 (just feed the Arpeg02 in one of the instances and press key to make it move a bit).

The DSP use seem to be a litlle bit lower than the DSP use of the SATURN or BLUESYNTH (from what I could estimate using the DSP metter). I guess you should expect 1.5 note per DSP so:
- 5 notes on a SCOPE LUNA board
- 10 notes on a SCOPE PROJECT board
- 25 notes on a SCOPE PRO board
dawman

Post by dawman »

I would love to hear this beauty.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

A quick sound example is available at the beginning of the post... ;)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Let me re phrase my statement................................................I would love to hear it, as I play it !!!

Put that in your pipe my Brotha'.

BTW, the GUI is definately happening, and quite simple for maximum performance.

Saturn was a great free synth, the C4T , and now the OSS.

Hopefully you will finish your work.

It must be quite rewarding to have created something for the community and share it.

Thanks, I Look Forward To Playing It.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Hi Jimmy,

The tuning process of the plug is going on.
A few bugs/enhancement have already been reported.
I am planning to release the plug in the next weeks (except if I have a big bug reported).
If you want to join the beta test teem Jimmy, just PM me a mail address where I can send you the package (it is too big to be attached with planetZ PM).

CheerZ
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I already got 6 volunteers from PlanetZ to test the OSS 107 ...
Release date to beta tester planned next week-end if everything goes on this way ...

CheerZ
7XL

Post by 7XL »

Is there a reason that you're only opening the beta testing to BCR-2000 owners?
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The reason is just for deeper test as this device is designed (i.e. the control elements are organized) to be controlled by a BCR 2000. Any other MIDI controller or no controller at all would also be OK but as I provide the device+the BCR 2000 template for the device, I thought one can achieve deeper test this way.

With other MIDI controller, you would have to design the template dedicated to this device (I can provide a file describing the Midi CC description later on). This would be OK for a 2nd beta testing session...

CheerZ
dawman

Post by dawman »

FYI,

Here in the states there's a memorial dedicated to the efforts of the French Underground, and OSS 107 class.

Strange as it sounds, the Office Of Strategic Services worked w/ the French Underground quite sucessfully. Unfortunately they now call themselves the Central Intelligence Agency ( a contradiction in terms IMHO ).

It's good to know you already have a memorial dedicated to your synth.

Did you already know this?

If not it's a very strong coincidence.

Powerful past ancestors creeping in to the new world perhaps?
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

HUROLURA, sounds nice.
:)
just one side note: have a look at your internal circuit. There seems to be some distortion in the demo sound.

Maybe you have setup the poly out to high or maybe you have "hot" internal mixing.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I think I did not adjust quite good the input level of my mixer I used for recording. That should be the problem ...

Interested for beta testing the device hifi ? Just PM an email address where I can send you the first candidate package ...

CheerZ
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

sure!!! pm send! :)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

scope4live wrote:FYI,

Here in the states there's a memorial dedicated to the efforts of the French Underground, and OSS 107 class.

Strange as it sounds, the Office Of Strategic Services worked w/ the French Underground quite sucessfully. Unfortunately they now call themselves the Central Intelligence Agency ( a contradiction in terms IMHO ).

It's good to know you already have a memorial dedicated to your synth.

Did you already know this?

If not it's a very strong coincidence.

Powerful past ancestors creeping in to the new world perhaps?
Did not even notice anything about it !!!

The name of the synth is the result of a strange process:
- first when I started to design my synth I used what is called an "Empty Synth" under the Scope SDK.
- when you tell this with the Inspector Cluzot accent (from the pink panther films) you obtain in french what is really similar to "Un p'tit synth" which would be translated in english to One Small Synth, and here you get the OSS acronyme
- then as I designed this synth at first on a SH-101 basis, I thought I could call the plug OSS 101
- I made such changes toward the first SH-101 type structure that I thought I should choose a higher number (for the added value ;) )
- then as I heard about one french films whose hero is a spy called OSS 117 and was kind of being presented as a french competitor of James Bond

"OSS 117 was the codename of Hubert Bonisseur de la Bath, an American spy whose adventures were written down by the late Jean Bruce from 1949 until the year of his death, 1963, and later on by Mr Bruce's wife until her death in 1996. The serial, though never reaching a peak, were turned into movies in the fifties, sixties and early seventies. A french comedy, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies was released in 2006, featuring Jean Dujardin in the main role, although in this satire of the old spy film genre OSS 117 is a french spy. "

- But as I thought this name could be a trademark or so I lowered the value to 107 which is also an allusion to the UKnow 007 from CW which is based on the same oscillator module as my device

I checked the wikipedia link regarding OSS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_ ... c_Services
There I found that the OSS 117 I knew from the film was linked to the OSS.

So yes there is a link to it but I didn't even knew it !!!
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

nice naming evolution.... :D
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

OK, after explaning you the name genesis, I decided to send the third release candidate od the OSS 107 to the people who send me an e-mail address where I can send them the package (device + BCR 2000 template + 32 presets).

What I ask you would be to provide me some feedback about the way to handle the device, any not yet found bug and what would be kind would be some presets to be added to the package before release to the whole scope user community.

Let's say the chalenge would be reach a set of 128 interesting presets files before the release ...

Check your e-mails ...

CheerZ
dawman

Post by dawman »

Got It.

Just got done playing through your presets. Your are definately a noise lover, as your presets demonstrate.

This little synth w/ 8 voices takes very little DSP.

I am sure many here will like this. It modulation paths are well chosen, and the expression / breath control xy idea is great. Your sub sounds like a sine wave ? Am I correct. It has a real nice round low end.

This is your first synth 'eh.

Let's get going on the second then.

I wish I had the discipline and time to create w/ SDK like this.

Also, I noticed in your jpeg. you had Luna modules. This was very considerate of you as many here have Luna cards only. My buddy will see this when I get back home. I am busy making old Hippies feel young again, gotta go.

Excellent travail monn frere,