MIDISPORT question. Not Scope related.

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid Len

MIDISPORT question. Not Scope related.

Post by Liquid Len »

Does anyone here use the MIDISPORT 8X8? I did something very stupid yesterday. I unplugged some USB cables, and when I plugged them back in, I put the MIDISPORT in a DIFFERENT USB port than it was in originally. O the humanity. Now I am not able to reinstall the drivers for the 8X8, I've tried putting it back in the port I was in originally, etc, etc, nothing works. Do I need a new frickin PC or just a new Windows installation?

:evil:
Really annoyed after spending 3 hours on something as stupid as this.
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Hi,

I think there's a freeware programme called driver cleaner or something (can't remember the exact name), which should sort that out - I only used it once and it solved a similar problem. I would, however, make sure to have all the drivers for your hardware handy, as I seem to remember it deleted a couple of useful drivers as well.

Alternatively, there's an option in the device manager: view->show hidden devices, which might list the driver of your midisport even after you've deleted it. Delete it from the hidden devices list as well, that might do the trick...

XP's handling of USB devices is a bit of a joke actually, it's really annoying how it thinks it's a different device even though it's just in a different port...

I think one of the above solutions should sort that out, but you might want to wait till someone who's a bit more knowledgable than me replies...

Chris
husker

Post by husker »

Have you checked Device Manager...you should be able to delete any confused entries in there.

Also uninstall the 8x8 driver, reboot and reinstall.
valis

Post by valis »

There is a driver cleaning tool available from the m-audio website should you need it under the 'Miscellanious' section of the driver download form. It's only necessary if you have (or have had in the past) a lot of midi devices (drivers) as Xp has a driver limit (dumb).

It's called "Midi Fix" and you can find it here:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... &o=15&f=84

Before trying that, just make sure you're installing the drivers properly. Run the driver installation application BEFORE plugging in your midisport, and then when the driver installation is completely finished (you will have installed to a Program Files subfolder) plug in your Midisport 8x8 and it will prompt you for driver installation & find the correct drivers.

8x8 Driver here:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... o=15&f=206

Hopefully my links work, I don't know if they're session specific or not.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Valis is right. The MIDI fix should take care of the problem, it also works on their controllers where I had to use it. I use the 8 x 8 also, but have chosen to use it as a hardware MIDI connection to the tails. I only like using USB for dongles and powering up the USB KS88's. It is a pain in the arse as a USB MIDI controller.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

I wonder if they fixed this in Vista? It's my most hated XP 'feature'.

Closely followed by 'add/remove hardware' telling me to 'try again later'. Sigh.
Liquid Len

thanks

Post by Liquid Len »

Problem solved. Thanks for the help, everybody. I only use the 8X8 as a MIDI router, I tried using it as a USB MIDI connector, what an absolute piece of crap! Why did they even sell it, working that badly? Oh well, I got mine cheap.
valis

Post by valis »

I've never had problems with mine...
dawman

Post by dawman »

I like mine as well, but prefer MIDI Thru.
husker

Post by husker »

I've got a 4x4 and 2 x 2x2's...so that adds up to 8x8 :-)

they all work well though
Liquid Len

Hmmm

Post by Liquid Len »

valis wrote:I've never had problems with mine...
You're able to use it with accurate MIDI timing out of a USB port, on all 8 outs? Are you running SX? Windows?