Output volume too high

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

f_kafka_il

Output volume too high

Post by f_kafka_il »

Hello, i've bought a new pulsar 2 and i plug it to an old stereo system with a cable XLR - RCA .... (temp solution till i bring monitors), and the output sound i get from pulsar to my system is too strong and has clipping and distortion, when i use the mixer to set -10db on the gain it sounds good again, i called the store i bought it from they told me that it has to do with me having an unbalanced system or something like that and that there should be a certian option on the pulsar for unbalanced systems, that it actualy make an output of -10db .... but i havnt found anything like that...

please help
thx
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you buy the +4 balanced version, that's what you get! there's no option.

pro gear operates at a hotter level than unbalanced consumer gear. if this becomes a problems there are always devices like this:
http://www.aphex.com/124A.htm
or this:
http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?ba ... rch=0&off=

just pad the input on the mixer and you should be fine. there's nothing wrong, though.
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Hi Gary,

If you've got the Control Room mixer (I think it comes with one of the mixer bundles), you can just patch the output of your mixer to that. That's my temporary solution, 'till I get an SM Pro M-Patch 2. 80 quid for a volume nob might sound a bit silly, but it also has phono-ins which would be ideal for playing consumer stuff through monitors with. Clean signal path etc., and an OK headphone amp.

Cheers,

Chris
f_kafka_il

so is there any software solution for that?

Post by f_kafka_il »

so is there any software solution for that?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, turn it down.