List of atoms provided by CW or others

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

HUROLURA

List of atoms provided by CW or others

Post by HUROLURA »

Is there a list of atoms provided with CW SDK ?

As Xmas seems to approach, I am wondering about joining the SDK user community (and for that buy a scope Pro Card, I only have a Home card here next to my NOAH).
I already have several synth projects in mind but would like to know which of them I could achieve without any new atom design just to be sure I can at least achieve something.

Would be gratefulll for any information...

CheerZ
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

No.
You must read the short description near the name of each atom in the atom list tab ... the SDK is a hard thing to handle because the serious lack of official informations from CW. :roll:
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Would it be possible at least to print out this list tab as a PDF file then so that I almost have something to make up my mind ...

CheerZ
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Uh, that's a loooong work!!!
Atoms are trillions and not text selectable, so not copy/paste!!!

Just my 2 cents, first think about your circuits with ModIII, then, when you take SDK, convert all to dev.

Cheers.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
at0m

Post by at0m »

HUROLURA,

A list of atoms won't tell you what they can do for you. Think of all functionallity that devices have, you can do that and more. Think of all the packages that come out that do not require you to install extra atoms, maybe apart from the registration key (which is also an atom, provided by CW to some commercial DP owners).
To get a vague idea of some atoms, check some ...\Scope\App\Dsp\*.nfo files. Even with all atoms in your head, most functionallity may not reveal itself untill you've really practiced extensively. For not very experienced developers (and, excuse my language, maybe for the others too;), there is more a lack of insight than a lack of modules IMO.

So my dense reply to your question would be: see what's possible with your current setup, and recombine that in some wild dream to your killer device.

If there's any functionality you doubt from being available, feel free to ask more specific questions - here or in the SDK forum at CW's.

Greetings,
at0m.

PS. If you get logged into CW SDK forum, say hi from me. After several attempts through various channels, they haven't authorised me there yet. Maybe they don't like my hair. :P
PPS. If only for one device you dream of, why learn how to work with SDK and not contract an experienced SDK/DP-er for a one-time job? May be cheaper and faster - except if you're in for the game, but then I'm sure SDK will have plenty to offer as is.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

erminardi wrote:Uh, that's a loooong work!!!

Just my 2 cents, first think about your circuits with ModIII, then, when you take SDK, convert all to dev.

Cheers.
Do you mean every module available in Mod III is also available as atom ?
How do you achieve migration from mod III patches to dev :
- save patche as dev file and then customization in term of user interface ?

CheerZ
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

HUROLURA wrote:
erminardi wrote:Uh, that's a loooong work!!!

Cheers.
Do you mean every module available in Mod III is also available as atom ?
How do you achieve migration from mod III patches to dev :
- save patche as dev file and then customization in term of user interface ?

CheerZ
Every mod module is available as circuit patch in SDK, every circuit patch is composed with atoms.
If U want, is possible to save directly the Mod patch to dev, but if U use ModIII, the other users must have the reg key for ModIII (same problem for Flexor modules).
But if U like deeper programmation U could recreate the whole Mod patch with custom circuits.

It's similar to Reaktor concept gerarchy:

atom+atom+atom+...
|
circuit patch+circuit patch+...
|
device
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Thanks for all these informations...

I will try to build up first few things with Mod II patches and see what I can achieve.

By the way I only guess I will end with a need for more DSP. I only have a scope home card here with its 3 DSP ... besides the 10/11 DSP of my NOAH EX.

What about GUI programming ? I already understand that you build up things with TGA formated images but what is the process to match a GUI to an underlying Mod II/III generated dev. Can anybody describe (shortly) such a process if this way of working is possble ...

Thanks for all this infomations

CheerZ

PS: being electronic engineer, I am kind of familiar with signal processing, so I am not really afraid about programming new atoms (I know I would need more than just a scope pro card to achieve that) but my intention is to first try the easiest way: first use what is available (that 's the way I am playing music for ages now: it just started up with my old casio CZ-101 and roland MKS-50 and then the setup just grow up from time to time ...)
daver2

Post by daver2 »

If you have a SCOPE card and software installed you should already have all the documentation available for the atoms. I don't think you even need the SDK for this documentation.

Check in the "setup\dsp" directory. You should find a load of files with the .nfo extension. These files are plain text files that can be read with an ordinary text editor (such as notepad).
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

HUROLURA wrote:Thanks for all these informations...

What about GUI programming ? I already understand that you build up things with TGA formated images but what is the process to match a GUI to an underlying Mod II/III generated dev. Can anybody describe (shortly) such a process if this way of working is possble ...

Thanks for all this infomations

CheerZ
if you make a sdk device by using modular modules, you'll need to make the control surface in the same way as making a scope device.
The problem is that modular 2/3 modules are protected, so you can not link to sliders and potentiometers of mod2/3 modules, but you can control modulation inputs where available.
For example, if you use a flexor bp-1, you have to connect a control to the mod input and then link it on the device surface, but you can't control the cutoff pot directly due to module protection, but there is not reason to use the same modular modules inside sdk, because you already have it available from the library.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

From what I understand, the modular could be used for a preliminary design before remapping the all stuff to dsp modules rather than modular modules.

Am I right ?

CheerZ
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

it's a matter of preference.

I don't see any advantage by making circuits 2 times.

It's a different thing if you would translate a modular patch to make a scope device, but if you are making a new device from scratch, you can forget about the modular and go making the circuit directly inside sdk.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Maybe for optimization and DSP usage limitation ?

I mean: if you have to use a mod control input to apply a fixed value on a cutoff of filter for example, then if you intend to also use a modulation input, you'll need an adder module which would consume some DSP, or ?

As for now I only got a scope home card, I am very sensitive to DSP use topic and would not build some devices for others without that idea in mind.

CheerZ
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

value assignments are not dsp intensive, so feel free to add as many modulation sources you want, but for sure, for a fixed value, we don't need to add any modules, it's enough to enter the value in the pad properties or to add a range text module.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

One more question:
- SDK provide a way to build up new device by combining so called atoms DSP module (I guess this is just interface to DSP executable code modules) and then build up a GUI for that device.
- Are you limited to existing device or is it possible to build up your own DSP atoms with appropriate tools (from analog device I guess) ? If this is not the case, has any of you ever done this type of thing and how do you proceed ? Are there a few simple source code availbale to see how to build an OSc, a filter, an enveloppe generator ?

Information would be helpfull.

CheerZ
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

http://www.steckenleiter.de

go to scope developers to have a idea

good vibes from vienna