Cell and SHARC

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Frontline Studio

Post by Frontline Studio »

Hi all,

Just been reading about the new Cell processor which outruns the Pentium IV about a hunderd times! The makers, a conglomerate of IBM, Toshiba and (Oh NO!) Sony, claim it's suitable for a wide variety of applications: video, audio, PC, television, all kinds of electrical household devices...

I was wondering what the Cell's advantage would be in the light of the SHARC DSP processors on our Creamware cards? Could the Cell replace the SHARC? Would it be worth while for Creamware to explore the possibilities?
CU,

John.
wayne

Post by wayne »

funny you should mention that :smile:
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2005-02-10 01:43, Frontline Studio wrote:
Hi all,

Just been reading about the new Cell processor which outruns the Pentium IV about a hunderd times! ....
even a Motorola 68K can do that trick if the PIV runs some of the usual office bs... :razz:
Seriously, I'll never forget a certain floorplan drawing which I did 'for convenience...' with that app :roll:

but let's keep the technical discussion under the link mentioned by Wayne

cheers, Tom
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Switching architectures would mean having to re-code just about all the DSP code (and a good chunk of the rest), which probably wouldn't be worth it considering the time/effort needed, and their market.
astroman

Post by astroman »

a peek in my DSP folder reveals 800 (relevant) items adding to 5 MByte of object code...
dunno how compact that stuff compiles but that's hundreds of thousands of lines of source.
when they are adapted - the thing is outdated... :lol:

of course that's complete nonsense: you have to rewrite each module from scratch because the architecture is completely different.
one can use the existing DSP stuff as a roadmap at best - and I'm not even sure that all and everything was written by CWA themselves.
It could as well be licenced object code by AD on which CWA applied their proprietairy (interface) wrapper.

cheers, tom