NAMM News?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sinix

Post by sinix »

Any new / cool Creamware related news from NAMM? They have a booth there this year, right?

On the rumor note, I heard something about a new or revamped Korg Oasis project at kvraudio.com. Any truth to that? It would be awesome to see a new / improved version of that.

Maybe John Bowen would know something more? :smile:
sinix

Post by sinix »

Ok, my bad...

It's OASYS and not OASIS.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05 ... tudio.html

*bleh*

:grin:
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Looks pretty excellent!

Linux based OS?
powerpulsarian

Post by powerpulsarian »

Check out the new EMU Cardbus product:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05 ... rdbus.html

I wish Creamware could do something like this with the Scope cards.
diminu

Post by diminu »

I wish Creamware could do something like this with the Scope cards.
[/quote]
yes, that would be more nice than selling the same old things over and over again with new names.
astroman

Post by astroman »

righty right - EMU, who are selling the 25th version of the Protheus currently with an FX section derived from a Soundblaster Live... :razz:

the concept is the nth incarnation of the mobile-audio-with-mics thingy - not exactly innovative but it will bring an enormous amount of cash...

cheers, Tom - I love my Protheus 2 :wink:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I'm feeling that I shall give away a large amount of money here:
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/det ... sku=EW-165

And possibly here:
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/det ... sku=EW-163

And for US$199 probably here:
http://www.gpo-uploads.com/StradivariLarge.mpg
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

sinix,

Yes, I am here at NAMM, and met briefly with Frank Hund. There's nothing new to report, though...they are showing the stuff that is already announced on their site - tripleLE, REstore, and scopeFX.

Dave Smith's PolyEvolver Keyboard sounds good, and is a lot easier to program now, with knobs for every function. Retail will be $2699 for the board.

Alesis is showing their Fusion series, with what appears to be a similar idea of combining several types of synthesis functions and sequencing as does the OASYS, at a lower price point, but it's not really in the same league.

Muse Research finally started shipping their Receptor box 2 months ago. This is a Noah-like rack box that runs on a linux system internally and plays VST objects (but this is old news).

Not much else today - I'll see more tomorrow.

peace,
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

I just don't know how long they're going to carry on with the exact same products they've had for the last two years. Eventually they've GOT to come out with something new. I hope they're working on something! :smile:
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

i also met with Frank, Wolf and Ralf D(nice track Ralf :wink: ) at the show. no, there's not much that's REALLY new anywhere there. my impression from the brief meeting is that there eventually WILL be new products as Frank truly seems to be in it because he loves it. the current product is still YEARS ahead of anything else on the market. really, the only issue is one of compatability(only a few more years for pci, mac already buggered up)and it's my impression that the guys are well aware of what they're dealing with. a new product would be nice, but not at the expense of what already works so well. i would like the current line to be further polished. there are too many CONSUMERS in this market and too much garbage for them to feed on. just mho....
hubird

Post by hubird »

garyb wrote:
...the current product is still YEARS ahead of anything else on the market. really,...
:smile: true

... the only issue is one of compatability(only a few more years for pci, mac already buggered up)...
you don't have _any_ more words about the mac thing, from them, Gary?
at least your _feelings_ about it from your conversation with them?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2005-01-22 17:09 ]</font>
scary808

Post by scary808 »

I'm sure their sites are set firmly on firewire devices(which is a good idea). Once that happens, I'm sure the OSX thing will be resolved. Must we forget NOAH was OSX compliant.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, all i can say is that they are VERY aware of the problem. maybe pci cards in a expander box(this is my thought, not an official announcement)......
hubird

Post by hubird »

could be worse...thanks :smile:
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

re: new OASYS workstation - I don't know if anyone knows this, but planet z's own John Cooper played a significant part in the development of this new OASYS keyboard...and I have to say "congratulations" to him and the whole team, because it is one <em>amazing</em> product (expensive, though :smile: ).
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music
valis

Post by valis »

I'm really intrigued by the new Wave sequencing & vector advances they claimed in the NAMM videos I watched. Definately a PRICEY synth as u say...

One thing about the Firewire option for our future dsp solutions...they tend to eat more cpu & bus bandwidth even on modern mac & pc designs in comparison to pci/cardbus solutions. This is true for Powercore pci vs. firewire as well as solutions like RME where a 1:1 comparison is often a lot easier. Driver improvements mitigate this somewhat over time but don't remove the extra overhead altogether.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2005-01-23 05:05, johnbowen wrote:
re: new OASYS workstation - I don't know if anyone knows this, but planet z's own John Cooper played a significant part in the development of this new OASYS keyboard...and I have to say "congratulations" to him and the whole team, because it is one <em>amazing</em> product (expensive, though :smile: ).
Thanks John! After several years of working on it, it's nice to finally be able to talk about it :smile:

Yes, it's expensive, but you can think of OASYS as launching both a new flagship product, and perhaps more importantly, a new platform from Korg. The technology will eventually trickle down to less expensive products.

Cheers,
-John