Announcing Solaris v3!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know about a significant upgrade I've just released for Solaris - version 3.0!

The changes are detailed as follows:

1) New RDX section - this stands for "RD Extended". While working some time ago on the Solaris Jr. (which I subsequently decided not to build), I had the idea of this multifunction oscillator, that essentially represents one each of the current oscs types already in the Solaris.

When you select the RD Oscs page (Now 'RDX 1/2'), you will find labels that default to 'RDX1 MM' and 'RDX2 MM'. These are popup selector lists that, instead of just the RD Slot, give you one each of the current osc sections. This allows the user to have 4 of the same type of oscillator going on in the Solaris, which was not possible before.

2) All Filters in all sections - I decided there was no real reason to limit each filter group to a certain type, since all filter blocks get offloaded from the DSP when they are not selected. However, for backward compatibility's sake, I kept the LP, HP, BP, and Comb designations.You will find that each filter section can now select from any of the filters.

3) The Vibrato LFO has been changed to a multimode LFO, with most of the parameters that comes with the multimode LFO added: Delayed start (DelS), Fade In control, Retrig and Phase options, and MIDI clockability.

4) Dynamic Mix Control - A highly requested feature, this allows you to modulate each of the 16 mixer input levels individually from the full mod source list.

5) Sync source for MM osc 1, RDX 1 MM osc - now selectable from most other sources for sync input.

6) The Mod Source menus for most destinations have added the Rotor 1/2 and RDX 1/2 as sources.

7) No Track, Midi sync, and Low Freq Range have been added to a number of oscillator sections. Also, for the No Trk button - all places this button shows up now bring up a wide range frequency control displayed in Hertz.

:cool: Pre/Post routing for 'Off Send to Main Mix' - when the button is green, the full signal of the filter mixer is sent to the Off Send Modulation Source path, bypassing the Level control and any associated modulations.

9) Envelope Follower Input - now a popup menu choice of Ext L, Ext R, Int L pre FX, Int R pre FX, Int L post FX, Int R post FX

10) 2 outputs added to device - these are the dry, pre FX signal, called Pre L and Pre R

11) Standard Creamware FX Bypass switch icon added in upper right. This will bypass all effects (both the internal and insert FX).

I hope you will agree these additions make this incredible synthesizer even more flexible and powerful! I will be posting new screen shots in the next few days, but to order your Solaris v3.0 upgrade now, please use the following link:

https://secure.element5.com/shareit/che ... ge=English

Upgrade price is 40 Euros (about $55). (If you recently purchased your Solaris - in September, October, or November - you will get the upgrade free of charge.)

Thank you for your support and interest in Zarg products!

Sincerely,
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music
hubird

Post by hubird »

thanks John, I'll check it out :smile:
wolf

Post by wolf »

hubird,

you should .. it has really grown to a very deep synth.
I made some cool blubber bass yesterday with it.
Fine shit, that beast :grin:
decimator

Post by decimator »

No you shouldn't, you MUST !!!!!

The long list of new features above means Solaris is more than ever a lifetime investment, the possibilities are just plain staggering and I've just scratched the surface ...
Frankly, if you're into synths, have 6 DSPs or more and don't buy it ... you need help ! :wink:

I made a 60 presets bank on it, mainly of weird & dark pads and sounds, John will make them public soon to show a little of Solaris mighty powers ( and those are just first steps into new realms )

In my opinion, it has all covered : from a very large range of basic sounds to extremely complex pads ! :smile:

Furthermore, I like working with it because it can change directions very quickly with few tweaks and never gets boring, always stimulating and evil at shortening the sleep nights. :wink:
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

I got it originally mainly because it had all the Prophet-5 goodies, and the other items were add-ons...now that it has everything including the kitchen sink, it's a must-have! The modulation and routing options are its best features -- there are just so many things you can do! One great addition in the latest version is the amplitude modulation with level offset: it allows you to do tremolo. And, now that all filters lie in all filter banks, you can have a true stereo Prophet-5 filter! How can you beat that?? :grin:

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
caleb

Post by caleb »

I'm not sure which version of Solaris I now own but it wasn't that long after it came out so it's probably 1.x. My music computer is frazzled so I can't really check.

What upgrade price would I need to pay to get v3?

Do I pay the same upgrade price as v2.x owners?

Just curious.
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
hubird

Post by hubird »

...let alone the very fast and accurate GUI reaction :smile:
it's definitely a topper :smile:
decimator

Post by decimator »

Even if you pay 2 X 40 euros for a V1 to V3 upgrade, it's still an an awesome bargain and worth every euros ! :wink:

OT : On the other hand when Sonic Foundry were charging 149 $ for each update, I waited some time for a 4.5 to 7 plunge and just paid 99 $ because I bought it in the grace period ! :grin:

Ah also, BUY the Red Dwarf modules extension, it's an another bargain ! and if you have the modular + Flexor or the Spacef satellites ( I think they work too ) well even more crazy possibilities for the sanes and insanes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: decimator on 2004-11-21 04:59 ]</font>
caleb

Post by caleb »

I think I should just ask John I guess.

I haven't got Flexor yet or the various RD products.

I'm sure I will eventually but I found there was so much to learning Solaris the last time that I didn't need to overcomplicate it straight away.

Anyway - I have Modular III so I can grow in that direction before I grow in multiple other directions.

It's really good to know that its a synth that grows with you though.

I liked it when I first purchased it and I believe version 2 made some improvements in the patch building workflow. Looking forward to updating the package when I get the chance.
Caleb

decimator

Post by decimator »

I find Solaris to be a nice complement to the Modular and the various third party modules ( Adern, J9K ... )
Presets in certains cases can be assimilated as a modular patch and you gain a huge amount of time by not having to load then wire / unwire all the time not to mention you have a clear view of modulations and not wires clogging the view ( if you want to follow what's going on ... ).
It offers quite complex possibilities if you want to go deep and quite simple options for a huge number of basic tasks and presets ! :wink:
caleb

Post by caleb »

On 2004-11-21 08:45, decimator wrote:
I find Solaris to be a nice complement to the Modular and the various third party modules ( Adern, J9K ... )
Presets in certains cases can be assimilated as a modular patch and you gain a huge amount of time by not having to load then wire / unwire all the time not to mention you have a clear view of modulations and not wires clogging the view ( if you want to follow what's going on ... ).
It offers quite complex possibilities if you want to go deep and quite simple options for a huge number of basic tasks and presets !
Sounds like I will be coming to you for lessons when I get it all up and running again. :wink:
Caleb

decimator

Post by decimator »

Lessons ? I may not be the best technician around !
Practice, tweak fast, experiment, pinpoint why and how a preset moves is what I can do but planning from scratch in the head a preset by weighting how much each element will interfere, that, I'll be never able to compute ! :wink:
decimator

Post by decimator »

A little noodling with the new presets : Solaris 3 ( 5.6 MB )

I'am very far from having exploited a fraction of the new possibilities so you can fathom the potential ! :wink:
elektrolurch

Post by elektrolurch »

@ decimator:
Are you sure you can make MUSIC with these
noises?!?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: elektrolurch on 2004-11-26 17:29 ]</font>
decimator

Post by decimator »

No !! it has never been done and will never happen since it's widely accepted that musicians are not a creative kind.
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Hi,

There is now a demo version of Solaris v3.0. Just send me an email requesting the Demo, and I will send out the necessary files.

peace,
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music
Ganool

Post by Ganool »

On 2004-11-25 14:53, decimator wrote:
A little noodling with the new presets : Solaris 3 ( 5.6 MB )

I'am very far from having exploited a fraction of the new possibilities so you can fathom the potential ! :wink:
Absolutely fantastic...

Carl
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

On 2004-11-26 17:29, elektrolurch wrote:
@ decimator:
Are you sure you can make MUSIC with these
noises?!?!
I think you already know this, elektrolurch, but let there be absolutely no misunderstanding about whether you can make music with Solaris. Decimator's wonderful presets are pushing at one extreme of the possibilities that can be acheived with Solaris, but don't be mistaken into thinking that Solaris can only be used to make this sort of alarming noisescape!
Solaris is capable of a huge and varied range of sounds covering pretty much all the bases (and basses for that matter). You know all of those preset types that are there to chose from in the preset window - well Solaris can do all of those and much more besides. I will never tire of experimenting and playing with this synth.

As decimator already said, it's like having a massive modular system without the complications that modules and wiring can bring. For someone who likes the idea of a modular system, but is put off by the modular interface, this is an ideal synth. And for those of you who are into the modular already, the Solaris Red Dwarf combo opens up even more possibilities!

It's like having all of John's previous CW synths rolled up into one (and that's saying something, is it not?) and then having a load of extra functionality added on top.

I have a load of presets brewing, and will record some of those for you soon. The only problem is that I keep getting distracted by the synth to dig deeper, so I never get round to doing the recording.

There are also banks of presets from a number of other experts, so you already have a great starting point when you get the synth.

Now that there's a demo available, there's no excuse not to give it a try.

Cheers,
Ben
braincell

Post by braincell »

I went to the zarg site but couldn't find any demo mp3 samples. Honestly I can't afford it soon but I am curious to hear it. You really need some samples up there. I prefer that to a demo program.
decimator

Post by decimator »

Thanks Carl and Ben ! :grin:
Indeed this new bank is just there to say : " Solaris can also do those kind of sounds "
Solaris has many facets, there are plenty of ways to approach and use it ...
I would try the demo instead of some mp3's because it can do too much things : that can't be exposed in some files.
When you can, I recommend you test at 96 Khz, like many other synths at that rate, it really shines ! :wink:
I often choose to sacrifice some voices for that extra clarity.