Namm Show and Sonic-core

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

Re: Namm Show and Sonic-core

Post by petal »

I don't know about you guys but I'm dying out of curiousity here :)

so - could you ask them when we will get new and more info on XITE? or maybe produce some for us in your next post :)

Oh, and how about a #&%¤ release date? ;)
braincell

Post by braincell »

Well, I would not want them to release it before it's ready. I'm just curious. I already got the Echo Gina3G but I'll probably be buying Scope 5 in a year, with or without a new Scope card.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

braincell wrote:Greg, You don't understand. Having 64-bit drivers has nothing to do with the sample rate. It's about having more RAM. A 32 bit OS has a limit of less than 4 gigs of RAM. That was not enough for me. RAM is cheap. I see how you got confused and why you said it doesn't matter though. It is slightly confusing.
It's not confusing, and I DO understand. I've been in the hardware industry for 30 years.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
braincell

Post by braincell »

Streaming requires samples to be partially loaded into the RAM, otherwise performance would suffer.

siriusbliss wrote: p.s. ask all the supposed 64-bit sample library people what rate they are really sampling at. Then ask them why their programs require so much overhead.
<troll mode off>
Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin »

So no news as to when we will see Scope5?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Mike Goodwin wrote:So no news as to when we will see Scope5?
right after spectralis 1.0 comes out :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

ok, i spent the day with Holger and Jurgen and i took no pictures. :P

don't worry, siriusbliss was there and he took some video.

i may take a few pictures when i go back on sunday.

i did take a screenshot of v5 running an XITE on a laptop on vista, which was very smooth, except for an unregistered plugin...

as to 64bit drivers, if you want them, write a nice letter to S/C. there are a number of issues they are addressing(such as the possible updated automation), and things become a matter of priorities. if they see a strong desire for them, they'll make them.
Attachments
V5 XITE1.jpg
V5 XITE1.jpg (297.31 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

OK - I already have pictures, but won't be able to get them uploaded until late Sunday night California time - SORRY :roll:
Video won't come until after I capture, render, and upload somewhere - probably not 'til towards the end of next week - SORRY :roll:
Gary - you should still take some pictures - including pictures of the Soniccore dudes so that we can thank them for taking on such a daunting project.

re: 64-bit - Holger says that it's 'in the cue' - after other developments, which they have received more requests for (and therefore higher priority) - which I probably can't mention here (since he didn't really mention what they were anyways).
Note: even the RME guys say that 32-bit is totally effective in 64-bit environments with machines running 8-Gig RAM on 64-bit OS's, etc., since it doesn't matter if the plugins/rompler/samplers can effectively use the extra RAM and throughput anyways. They have issues with justifying it at this point in time.

Nevertheless, all I can say is - WOW, what horsepower! You can feel it in the instantaneous loading of large modules, synths, mixers, 'verbs, etc. You can 'feel' the lack of latency, etc. You can 'feel' the 10X DSP horsepower in the DSP's.

The unit looks simple, yet impressive and unobtrusive. Tons of I/O to work with in a stand-alone environment ranging from good mic/line pres in the front-end to all the various I/O output on the back end.

I wanted to open the unit, but it was running, and I didn't want to disrupt it.

My impression is that the unit is basically complete - barring some minor touchups with cables and such, but it's very close.

No - I couldn't get a release date from the team other than 'very soon'.

No I couldn't listen to it inside the cacophony of the convention center - we could barely hear each other talk.

So, that's all I have to report for now. More to come in the next few days.

Greg

p.s. The Xite-1 is IMO one of the standouts at the show, since it is unique amongst the deluge of yet one more F'ing VST synth or other plugin, etc.

p.p.s. The only other standout for me so far is the Moog guitar, which is very cool technically, but two guys at their booth didn't know how to demo it properly (IMO).

p.p.p.s. GaryB gets the award for the scariest hair :lol:
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
garyb

Post by garyb »

siriusbliss wrote:p.p.p.s. GaryB gets the award for the scariest hair :lol:
sorry. it's too late to do anything about it now...
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Thank you very much guys.

More information!!!!!!

I have started a new thread in Announcement regarding news from NAMM, since I don't consider news about XITE & Scope 5 OT - http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 10&t=26727
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

Can we get some pictures of Gary's hair too? :lol:
Acoustic tinkering thinking
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Mary Mungo wrote:Can we get some pictures of Gary's hair too? :lol:
wait for the video. :lol:

Actually, Gary's a nice guy - very knowledgeable - and has done well dealing with the din of bad guitarists and blatting tubas.

Besides, the Magix (Samplitude/Sequoia) guys are right next door, so what more could you ask for? :D

Greg
Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin »

So was there any news as to what is actually new in scope? They must have done more than change the color :wink:
Any new FX or mixer features that where talked about? I would love to be able to afford the Xite but that is not even on the map. So for me it is only about new software features.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the main changes were "under the hood", so to speak.
there are new eqs and synths, but that's definitely not the reason to buy XITE. you want XITE if:
1. you want more power for a ridiculously low price. if you currently have enough dsp for everything you might want to do, you can use the old cards for another 10 years without any problem. for a little more than the price of 2 Scope Professionals you can have 10 times the power of 1 Scope Pro.
2. you would like to interface with a laptop.
3. you want the two VERY nice mic pres that have hiz inputs(just like PZ requested, although it's another thing that slowed down the release).
4. you want to move the computer as much as 10 meters away from the controlroom/studio. the pci-e cable to box can be that long.
5. you want the improved, almost instant load times and nearly non existant need for global optimization for the biggest synths.
6. you want to lower machine and digital noise at the onboard converters and analog i/o(since they're not inside the computer environment that includes a huge power supply)

if you have no use for those things, just upgrade to v5 and have a better running machine.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Wait, there have to be new internal cards at some point. I hope they don't stop development of those... you know? for people are aren't rich!
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Gary, I asume you forgot one :wink:

7. you want to keep bigger things on one chip and avoid those 1 sample phase issues.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, that goes along with #5.
nice one.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

braincell wrote:Wait, there have to be new internal cards at some point. I hope they don't stop development of those... you know? for people are aren't rich!
They probably will BC, but they have to start somewhere. :)
The core technology is probably more easily scaled down than up.

I was VERY impressed by what SC's done to get Xite together. Indeed NOT a trivial deal.

Greg

p.s. yes, I agree with Gary that it was VERY nice to see friggin' instantaneous launches of mixers, plugins, synths, etc. and see NO drain on the stupid computer. There is so MUCH overhead with this thing that it could easily be the hub of a studio.
Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin »

Thanks Garyb
So im looking at some new eq's and some synths. I guess that is fair enough. I have been planing to upgrade my setup but it might be wise to wait as all the current cards may fall through the floor in value. Anyone have thoughts on that topic?
braincell

Post by braincell »

It would be prudent to wait at this time.