SFP vs XTC

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bLiNd

Re: SFP vs XTC

Post by bLiNd »

nevermind just figured it out. Wow awesome. Cubase is great for having external hardware features <3 Thanks for the tip

edit: well using them as sends seems easy, not sure how to route it in cubase to make it work as an insert so that it will actually come back to the channel. hmmm
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

bLiNd wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:If your host (no longer called sequencers) can route out to external hardware then you can already do both modes.
Stay in SFP mode, route your host's channel inserts to Scope via ASIO channels and you're good to go.
how would you go about this say, in cubase 5? like have an insert routed to an asio out?
Yes.
When I'm back in the studio I'll post a screenshot (in Samplitude)

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

bLiNd wrote:nevermind just figured it out. Wow awesome. Cubase is great for having external hardware features <3 Thanks for the tip

edit: well using them as sends seems easy, not sure how to route it in cubase to make it work as an insert so that it will actually come back to the channel. hmmm
Once you have setup your external link in the VST Connections tab (F4), then go to the track you want the FX inserted, click on a slot and its there in the list to choose.
Now you will get a small window with a couple of controls.
Click the 'Square Wave' button and this sets up the correct delay Cubase needs for the plugin.
Away you go!
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Blind, Press F4 and go the "external" tab however it's called. Create an insert, route I/o's and save it to favorites. It'll appear in the vst plugin list as an external device. use it on inserts or auxes. There is a ping feature to calculate the latency compensation and the possibility to associate a device panel for midi control. Here is an example of integration in Cubase with a little hardware reverb and it's associated device panel.

If some of you ever used an UAD1 or an SSL Duendee didn't your appreciated the integration of just going in your list of plugins and picking the one you need and get done with it ?
Hardware inserts + Nuendo/protools/Samplitude/Logic/Sonar/Fruityloops/Ableton live/etc... own plugins + SonicCore plugins all in the same spot. Same workflow.

Using XTC is a dynamic sizing process.
Example : If in a session I use a vinco and decide to copy it across all X channel strips, it's done in a matter of seconds with xtc. No need to go in sfp add asio strips, insert multiFX devices in each asio I/O loops, insert Vincos in them, go to the Host and insert the corresponding slots. Verifying what is going where... etc... Then I add SC plate reverb, oops not enough juice, I change my mind for a Vst software verb etc... Fast & souple.
In SFP, you have to get a large provision of spare I/O's with inserts. They appear under the Host with no names, it's easy to get lost and send the wrong signal to the wrong strips. It's a waste of pci channels power.

I had the Emu 1820 M and it could do what we're talking here, using dsp plugs + having the routing in front of the host. The elaborate XTCproject.pro (with a STM4896 mixer) we discussed in lenght in the XTC sction did more or less the same. Why fiddling to get a plug in the host ? Then if we had the choice, we could still have the no latency method for motoring what is recorded or super complex modular/efx routing ala JimmyV (scope4live) in addition.
"Siriussly", how dare you comparing those workflows ? :o
Guys, could we have a more elaborate discussion than "+1", "No", "how" type of responses for once ?
At least I tried.
Bye.
garyb

Post by garyb »

why? are we going to implement such functionality here? if someone has something to say, great, but if +1 is the opinion, isn't that fine?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

There are Probably reasons why SC calls it Vstim rather than XTC.
Dual option would be great.
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
katano

Post by katano »

garyb wrote:why? are we going to implement such functionality here? if someone has something to say, great, but if +1 is the opinion, isn't that fine?
+1 :lol:
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

katano wrote:
garyb wrote:why? are we going to implement such functionality here? if someone has something to say, great, but if +1 is the opinion, isn't that fine?
+1 :lol:
Huh ?
:D
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Bifop wrote: I tried Protools 9 in XTC mode and it doesn't start (works in SFP mode though).
Hi Bifop,

Could you elaborate on this? Have you had XTC working in older versions of Pro Tools? I ask because I was planning on squeezing my Core card into the same system as my Scope cards, and would have been rather chuffed to be able to load CW/SC plug-ins as VSTs in PT... Have you tried any more tinkering with the XTCproject? Have you used the same XTCproject to get other versions of Pro Tools working in XTC mode?

Basically, any more info you can share about how/why it might not be working and if it's possible to get XTC working in PT9 would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Chris