wanted: adat expansion board

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

piet piel

Post by piet piel »

Hello,

i'm searching for a way to expand my outputs from 16 to 32. How could i do that best? install 2 adat-8 expansion boards? Does anyone have the for sale?

manoah!
blazesboylan

Post by blazesboylan »

It sounds to me like you have a Pulsar II card Piet Piel? The ADAT expansion is only for Luna II, and it provides 24 channels above the Luna's standard 8. I got mine off EBay a couple of years ago for $150 Canadian. I don't think they're sold any more except bundled with a Luna II card (though I could be wrong).

For what it's worth, there's a Luna II with expansion board (16 Z-Link + 16 ADAT IO) for cheap ($389 USD) at Nova Musik. It's been on sale for a long time, I'm surprised they haven't sold out.

Cheers + good luck Piet Piel,

Johann
piet piel

Post by piet piel »

Yeah i have Pulsar, i just sent an email to CW to advise me in this.

thanks!

Post by Guest »

2 options:

1. add another Pulsar (scope Project) for another 16 I/O
2. buy a Luna (scope Home) with ADAT Expansion for another 16 I/O
blazesboylan

Post by blazesboylan »

On 2004-10-18 12:38, antar wrote:
2. buy a Luna (scope Home) with ADAT Expansion for another 16 I/O
That would give you 32 I/O (though no A-D / D-A).
piet piel

Post by piet piel »

Someone from Creamware tells me that CW also had ADAT expansion for Pulsar II once. I'm trying to get rid of one of these. Anyone..??

Second option would be adding another pulsar, but that would give me a lot of options i don't want but yet pay for. Same with Luna or SFP 4.0. Thanks so far, anyone have experience on adding another Pulsar? Does windows treat it as one pulsar? The dsp doubles i presume?

thanks!
manoah
blazesboylan

Post by blazesboylan »

Well the Pulsar II cards do have daughterboards. If you have a "Sonic Rocket Booster" it's basically a Pulsar II with no daughterboard. You could then add the daughterboard, e.g. the 24 channel ADAT one, or the 24 channel Z-Link (16 ZLink, 8 ADAT) one, etc.

So if you currently have a Classic plate and you replace it with an ADAT plate, you'll get 8 extra channels. And you can sell your Classic plate.

I don't know how easy it is to buy a daughterboard by itself though?

As for the 2nd Pulsar option: for all intents and purposes, yes, Windoze treats the pair as a single audio card.

Cheers,

Johann
piet piel

Post by piet piel »

Ehr.. Sonic Rocket Booster? sounds like a device to fly to the moon with a personal computer, I just have a Pulsar II card, bought it 4 years ago. No daughterboard whatsoever. And I want 16 more ADAT outputs. What's a classic plate? Thanks.
at0m

Post by at0m »

An SRB is a card with no daughterboard. Daughterboard came to see the light when CWA released the 2nd generation DSP cards, a la Pulsar2. The IO are mounted on a screw on/off daughterboard, so they can be swapped - I put my Pulsar2 IO on a Scope SRB for example.
So every Pulsar2 with IO has a daughterboard. A Classic IO board has 2 pairs of ADAT/optical SPDIF, elec SPDIF, analog and midi. A Plus has balanced analog, the rest is the same. On a Z-Link daughterboard, one ADAT io pair is replaced by 2 Z-Link connections, each capable of transferring 8 channels 24bits 96kHz in and out.

Then for Luna, which does not have such a daughterboard system, on top of it's onboard IO there's an ADAT expansion card with 3 ADAT pairs.

Hope this explains a little :smile:
piet piel

Post by piet piel »

Thanks Atomic! That clears things up. Still looking for a Pulsar card. Anyone? Or ADAT expansion for Pulsar?