phase nightmare?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

ronaldmeij wrote: "I cant make a good mix with a mixer that's a phase nightmare."

Could someone, if not ronald himself, expand on this please?
ronaldmeij

Post by ronaldmeij »

shure

In today's modern world , everybody is mixing in stereo and dolby surround.

But here's the big BUT....

Still almost every pro recording has to be mono compatibel , because u need to have true phase allignment.

Let's say u are recording on a neve console and u are working on a left center right mix.

Almost everything goes to the center channel and maby some reverb to left and right and hihats.

But if al your mono channels have very small phase errors it cant combine so u get a dead spot and u like to have that rock solid in your face sound.

So take the bigmixer for example :

Take 3 channels pan them mono :

load 3 same synths same sounds same note's and play them.

U first open the first fader
now the second fader (phasing)
now the number three ( phase nightmare ).

If u record analog and u are doubling vocals
u tripple vocals to make it sound fat.

I also record on protools sessions this case
same thing analog way digital medium no problem.

Try it in pulsar mixer big problem..

Now try it in logic but only use the logic mixer ... sound okay..

so conclusion ... the mixer inputs or some other internal problem give's us no absolute phase allignment.

Put a scope on it , the don't lie...

put your ears to it , the don't lie ...

i hope this works for u ......

Ronald Meij.
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

When you triple vocals, you're going to be either recording three separate passes or using delays to create the impression of more voices. 20ms, a fairly average delay time for doubling, is far more than the inconsistencies you're talking about (& we don't even need to mention human inconsistency :wink:).

This isn't to say that you're wrong about the phasing issue -it's a well documented fact- but you're reason for having an issue with it is off. Most of us make use of phasing & delays to create a wider stereo field, I do much more damage than the big mixer can ever cause yet my work will still mono just fine.

If you're doing this professionally, it shouldn't be a big deal to splurge on the Recording Mixer or new Power Pack mixer, anyway.
ronaldmeij

Post by ronaldmeij »

u are right....

But there is one thing i really like about pulsar

The speed of the system...

and the 3.0 version is rock solid ... so i stop talking now :smile:
braincell

Post by braincell »

Is the new big mixer (3.0) a phasing nightmare? Why do you need 3 of the same synths and patches to play the same notes in the center? I imagine if you had 3 different synths and patches in the center you wouldn't hear any phasing. MIDI timing is not very accurate anyway. Correct me if I am wrong.