Latency compensation

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Faybs

Post by Faybs »

I use the external effects module in the insert section of my SFP mixer (I just have 3 DSP's).
It is connected to vst effects thru asio source and dest (works nice), but the vst host has a superior latency than the SFP system (dry goes throught SFP =3ms and wet goes throught asio =12ms), so then I get a kind of delay between dry and wet sound.

Does a delay SFP module exist for compensating this difference of latency ? A kind of sample delay or else ?

Thank you
at0m

Post by at0m »

Hoi Faybs,

That latency cannot be removed, it can only be compensated for. You could add the same latency to the channels which don't go thru VST. A delay effect (with no filtering, feedback or wet signal and set to full dry) or a modular patch with a delay (again no feedback, full wet) could do the trick. The STM2448 has a delay time per channel which can be used also, but not everyone uses that mixer.
This can't be done on realtime playing of a dsp synth which has a VST effect of course, just like one cannot kill all latency playing on a VST synth from a keyboard. However, 12ms is only just above most hardware synth's latency.

Hope this helps :smile: