Perhaps, the last forum division for the Z?***A Z SAMPLE dat

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

great idea! I'm also pretty sure that once the CD is put together, it won't be too hard to find a small distributor in europe, and maybe some underground one in the US. Sounds like an interesting project to undertake.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Cool idea Chris! :smile:

We are brainstorming right now, so please, if you didn't join this discusion already, do, we need your feedback! :smile:

I think that something will come out of it... something will finally happen that will perhaps make everybody happy...
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

On 2003-12-22 03:01, LHong wrote:
Cool ideas! I like it!
Regards,
LongStudio
Li Hong, all my respects...

I'm sure you don't remember me, but something very interesting happend between you and me, a lont time ago. It was the end of 1998, I was reading everything about Pulsar in different little articles in the net, and could not find somebody to tell me, personaly, about some questions I had. Then I found your e-mail, among a list of mails relating to a shop or something like that, and send you a mail:

Becaseu I did not now much English in those days, I could not express myself very well, and the mail would seem to be from a not too serious person. You answerd me back telling me somethig like this:

"Hello. Well, Pulsar is not a child's play, you should not get into it, go an get something else that may suit better what you want to do". :smile:

Then I send you a second mail and asked you about some specifications and so, and you changed your mind, telling me Pulsar was the best card, but that was too difficult for a begginer to get into this... :smile:

I can't help to feel a great feeling of respect and gratefullness for you. THANK YOU FOR YOUR MAILS LI HONG!
LHong

Post by LHong »

Dear Nestor,
I'm glad to hear from you. Wow, it was about 5 years ago...Never mind!

About Pulsar, I still love and pround to have it, its functionality is something that leads the technology in a few years, thought....

Again, thanks for your great contributing as useful info for us. I really enjoy the words you have written and I feel the Planetz forum as great home. Please count me on the creative samples, maybe I can create some sample utility program, which can be included in the sample CD as well like something that currently does not exit in the Pro-audio Tools (just an idea, might not be new but custom and more specific application used).

Anyway, here is for all of you,

I just uploaded the Osilloscope test program as beta version, of course there will be more useful tools under development. It takes a lot of time, a three to six months project, so, if we see some potential interest we shall make it better or as the way we wanted....

Here it is, sorry, without the detail user manual. Let me know if there is any questions.

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=13

Best regards,
LongStudio

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LHong on 2003-12-23 16:02 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, thanks Li for your contribution, I think that if we ever do such CD, your program will come handy to help, thanks.

I'm most surprised you still remember those mails! :smile: In any case, you were the first contact that helped me to get into it. Glad to have you here, very much so... :grin:
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Nice Nestor and LHong, the world is small isn´t it?

The Best Of CD idea becomes more clearer to me.
I´ll and can speak with some labels here in my town to spread the CD around Europe. I am sure they won´t get money out of it.
I won´t promise things that aren´t clear but I see a way.
The biggest problem I see is to get together all music tracks in CD quality.
I can make an offer, I could open a post office box and the producer of the voted tracks can sent me their tracks in CD quality and I will put them on the CD.
Also I have a good Internet connection and I can download all presets, tools, devices and all other things we want on this CD.
After that I can sent a copy to someone how can spread the CD in the US array.
I think this would be a nice thing really. Please tell me, do you want a Best Of Planet Z CD and what should be on this CD?

Let us brainstorm together!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, I personally love the idea Chris! Of course, it has little to do with the Sample database I was talking about, but one thing does not contracit the other.

I think we need to first answer the "Sample Database" question... Is it feasable or not? If it is, which would be the way? Where would it be located? etc., etc., etc... I personally think this still can be a great source of samples and loops, a trully useful, unique source of inspiration.

Despite all of this, I say "NO" to my own idea, because it is too complicated, and I don't want to upset John, with too much work changing the real personality of this site. No way! So I give up, to a certain extent.

BUT this giving up is only in a public way. I'm going to be speaking to some of you soon... :smile: about a new idea, not to be done in the Z.

In regard to the CD, again, I love the idea. This idea have been here for quite a while I know, about 2 years already, but we were not ready to get into it. Now we are perhaps in the right time. If I'm in, I'll work more than hard!

Passing you the tracks in CD quality is not a problem at all. Doing exactly the same thing we are doing right now with the last Z contest, we can put them up into a FTP space, as simple as this, and you download them to your hardware, and then put toguether the CD. That's it. What do you think?
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Yes, I agree to most of the the things you mentioned and I still think that the sample pool idea is great. I am a person who takes his time to think a while before he says something but what is in my mind at the moment is that we could go for a best music track of a month and all twelve tracks of the year can be on the CD.
One minute of music in CD quality results in aprox. 10Mb. so 12 tracks should be enough on one CD beside all devices and the other things.
Regarding the sample pool, it would be nice to have those samples on the CD too, packed maybe.
We´ll need ftp space, though.

Fine, the picture becomes clearer each day, thx Nestor.
Let us wait for other responses!
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Nestor if the samples are strictly STS-based programs (as opposed to swapping akai, giga, etc. commercial stuff), I would consider providing the storage. I only have 1 GB of ftp space, but if the sample base grows to 650MB we could archive it on a CD for disributing on request. We could try it out on my ftp and see how it goes.
It would take some organizing and brainstorming to figure out how to best set this up, but this could be an excellent way to build an original sample base for the STS samplers.
We can discuss it more on this forum, or you can email me if you like.

/dave
R-type

Post by R-type »

It's easy to receive online payments using PayPal's secure servers. All you need is a credit card and anyone with a credit card or paypal account can pay you.

Anyway, if this goes ahead I'll definitely buy it, there are lot's a talented dudes on this forum and I'd be very interested in using some of their patches.
hubird

Post by hubird »

About the cd, which is a nice idea:
I'd say, forget about that democratic way of thinking in defining what songs should be choosen.
The startpoint isn't the choosers but the cd as a product you have to enjoy.
Think as a potential listener who even will not know of Planetz at all.

Why and what then, good questions :smile:

Why, coz an absolutely condition to the whole project (the cd) to be succesfull is not the sum of the separate songs but the 'styling' of the whole cd.
12 Songs don't necessory make a cd product, that does the specific combination of the selected songs.
Just using the choosen 'best of's' would rather create a dragon than a 'surprising' independent cd product finding it's own way on the market.
And why wouldn't we reach that high if we take the trouble?

So?
this has consequences for the way we have to handle this.
I think the full attention should go to finding one (or more) persons who see themselves capable to make a very nice fitting compilation from a certain global preselection made by planetz members.
Ah, I know what you're thinking, yet the word selection, but it really is a different approach coz the result will be different!
I.e. the cathegory in which each song is put in by the maker of the song absolutely isn't important in the first place, and I can imagine many other considerations that will differ from the iron democratic approach.

How and what for to select then?
It's reasonable and even whishable that the preferences of us members should be the base for any planetz cd :smile:
So I suggest everybody who's interested gives his (still no hers here?) most preferred song titles, as much as he likes, no burocracy, everybody will know what's reasonable and what's necessory to his mind.

The one who likes to give it a try can listen to the selected files just here on planetz as mp3, and think about *SOME* but perfect compilation.
If there is more than one perfect option, even better, the future is bright :smile:

I can imagine the 'beta' version of the cd which is based on the downloaded mp3's, could be listened to as mp3 from a friendly offered server by one of us, as ... did already :smile:
(Still no burocracy in collecting files, naming them, etc etc).
Mister Mixer then can see what this or that one has to say about the result, and take adventage from the valuable suggestions, about order, slyle aspects, the flow of the whole cd, the crossfades etc.
But...HE is the one who is responsable for the end result, he makes the decisions, and these are what we just have to accept.
It's just a matter of trust, as you will agree.

Big adventage: it's sufficient to collect just the selected songs as WAV (no burocr...)

For the person who's gonne make the (a) cd it is important to have *any* feeling for *styling*, you don't combine 6 ambient songs with a rough techno track, etc.
If he's the type of guy who likes lots of styles without specific preferences, and wants to show proudly what a broad, rich and tolerant community we are (to say something), he better forget it, I would say :smile:
It is even very well possible that a song will be crossfaded on 3/4 of his length, or even that the 'best' song of planetz with the most nominations should not be selected for the cd...

For the one who likes democratic :wink: , everybody who likes it can make such a perfect (mp3) album as a test, and put it on the given server.
It will soon be clear if it's a viable compilation worth to make it the next planetz cd.

This is what I thought about it.
cheerz

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2003-12-22 21:58 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

On 2003-12-22 17:31, dbmac wrote:
Nestor if the samples are strictly STS-based programs (as opposed to swapping akai, giga, etc. commercial stuff), I would consider providing the storage. I only have 1 GB of ftp space, but if the sample base grows to 650MB we could archive it on a CD for disributing on request. We could try it out on my ftp and see how it goes.
It would take some organizing and brainstorming to figure out how to best set this up, but this could be an excellent way to build an original sample base for the STS samplers.
We can discuss it more on this forum, or you can email me if you like.

/dave
Well, this is fantastic! You have already provided us with the possibility to do the latest Z contest, and by the same means you are providing us some of your space for this experiment, thanks very much for your disposition to help dbmac, this is great! :smile:

I think that due to the nature of this possible new forum, related to the Z, if I mail you personally, John, will not know what is going on, and because he’s the moderator, I would like for him to be informed at all times. What do you think?

But of course, once the main ideas are up and running, I will for sure talk to you by mail, to sort other details and help as I possibly can…

If working STS Samples is fine regarding legal matters, that could as you suggest, be the solution. What everybody else think about an STS sample database?
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

On 2003-12-22 21:28, hubird wrote:
About the cd, which is a nice idea:
I'd say, forget about that democratic way of thinking in defining what songs should be choosen.
The startpoint isn't the choosers but the cd as a product you have to enjoy.
Think as a potential listener who even will not know of Planetz at all.

Why and what then, good questions :smile:

Why, coz an absolutely condition to the whole project (the cd) to be succesfull is not the sum of the separate songs but the 'styling' of the whole cd.
12 Songs don't necessory make a cd product, that does the specific combination of the selected songs.
Just using the choosen 'best of's' would rather create a dragon than a 'surprising' independent cd product finding it's own way on the market.
And why wouldn't we reach that high if we take the trouble?

So?
this has consequences for the way we have to handle this.
I think the full attention should go to finding one (or more) persons who see themselves capable to make a very nice fitting compilation from a certain global preselection made by planetz members.
Ah, I know what you're thinking, yet the word selection, but it really is a different approach coz the result will be different!
I.e. the cathegory in which each song is put in by the maker of the song absolutely isn't important in the first place, and I can imagine many other considerations that will differ from the iron democratic approach.

How and what for to select then?
It's reasonable and even whishable that the preferences of us members should be the base for any planetz cd :smile:
So I suggest everybody who's interested gives his (still no hers here?) most preferred song titles, as much as he likes, no burocracy, everybody will know what's reasonable and what's necessory to his mind.

The one who likes to give it a try can listen to the selected files just here on planetz as mp3, and think about *SOME* but perfect compilation.
If there is more than one perfect option, even better, the future is bright :smile:

I can imagine the 'beta' version of the cd which is based on the downloaded mp3's, could be listened to as mp3 from a friendly offered server by one of us, as ... did already :smile:
(Still no burocracy in collecting files, naming them, etc etc).
Mister Mixer then can see what this or that one has to say about the result, and take adventage from the valuable suggestions, about order, slyle aspects, the flow of the whole cd, the crossfades etc.
But...HE is the one who is responsable for the end result, he makes the decisions, and these are what we just have to accept.
It's just a matter of trust, as you will agree.

Big adventage: it's sufficient to collect just the selected songs as WAV (no burocr...)

For the person who's gonne make the (a) cd it is important to have *any* feeling for *styling*, you don't combine 6 ambient songs with a rough techno track, etc.
If he's the type of guy who likes lots of styles without specific preferences, and wants to show proudly what a broad, rich and tolerant community we are (to say something), he better forget it, I would say :smile:
It is even very well possible that a song will be crossfaded on 3/4 of his length, or even that the 'best' song of planetz with the most nominations should not be selected for the cd...

For the one who likes democratic :wink: , everybody who likes it can make such a perfect (mp3) album as a test, and put it on the given server.
It will soon be clear if it's a viable compilation worth to make it the next planetz cd.

This is what I thought about it.
cheerz

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2003-12-22 21:58 ]</font>
I have to agree with you Hubird. I think you gave us here some truly interesting points, not only taking into account what WE want to do, but WHO is the one who’s going to receive it.

I like it too, because you are giving a wider opportunity to the members of the forum than otherwise. :smile:

Nevertheles, I want to ask you to please rewrite these rules you are suggesting, into a much shorter and concise post. Is it possible please? I think we all are going to appreciate it better. The explanation is needed of course, I just would like to see your ideas in short phrases, one after the other, for a better understanding.
hubird

Post by hubird »

Not 'rules', just a suggestion to a procedure to keep it simple and fast, with (to my opinion) the greatest chance to get the best cd('s) out of it:

1. everybody who's interested posts his nominations in a special thread
2. Based on this selection, Chris or anybody else who has time and likes to do it makes a personal selection according to the style concept he likes and thinks he can get out of the preselection, creates a trial cd compiled on base of the mp3's available on planetz, and publishes the test file on a given server.
3. Everybody on planetz can make suggestions and give advice, but without a single claim...
4. The Mixer publishes on planetz what track titles definitely are selected by him, and invites the makers of the songs to upload the Wav files to a specified server.
And creates the compilation.

Two remarks:
1. there can rise copy rights complications concerning future releases of a song, or other ways around
2. I wouldn't put other stuff like samples or software on the cd.
I would definitely choose for just a simple audio cd.

edit: So far I forgot to say that Chris's offer to use his connections to distribute the cd is extremely valuable, in fact it gives sense to the whole idea.
After all, everyone of us can easily make his 'best of' by compiling his own selection from the mp3's and burn it to cd.
Some of us do this already if I'm right.
Just if you decide to go out 'to the world' you have a good reason to take all the trouble to use the original files (and to draw everyone who likes it into the project).
To my opinion :smile:
cheerz.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2003-12-23 21:44 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thanks Hubird, nice :smile:

Now, I would like to see what everybody thinks about it.

So the sample idea is off?
Cheers.
coc999

Post by coc999 »

Since i come on pz i realize that there is a concentration of people who composed various styles in various directions , each of us have his own way of expression . Somewhere in all these differences there must be a Pz unity .

There is around 900 tracks in music forum .
Maybe some of them are amazing tracks that we have forget ?
I am really curious of what kind of compilation it could be ? each of us must have an opinion but represent an audio image of pz world is really a great adventure .
we could
Create a thread (it could be long) where each of us put his favorites 12 tracks on pz ?) it could give a first direction or give strange results...to our future artistic director.
John should have a voice for the 12 th track , the master selection :smile:

oh my god 900 tracks to lesson !

It was my brainnnnnstoormiiing :smile:
wish you a merry christmas .

i am still blablating too much .