Caretaker needed for Modularsynth.co.uk

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Hi Modheads,

I'm soon (10th March) to be taking 6 months off work and going travelling.

While I'm away it would be fantastic if someone would volunteer to look after the Modular Corner site.

All it really needs is someone who'd be prepared to keep the news section up to date, keep the patch lists up to date, and investigate any problems with the site that might occur (file not found, etc, etc). Any other contributions (new pages, etc) are welcome, but not essential.

The ideal candidate would be someone who has some knowledge of how to build and maintain a site, or at least has some experience of HTML, FTP, etc. I've been using FrontPage to build the site, but I don't care which tool you use, provided I can still pick up the reins when I get back.

I'd provide account details for the FTP site and domain name host, and also a CD with the entire site so that you've got something to fall back on if anything goes horribly wrong while I'm away. No financial reward, I'm afraid. The best I can offer is copies of some classic Modular based records.

Let <a href="mailto:modular@nortica.co.uk">me</a> know by email if you're interested.

Cheers,
Ben
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

HI,
I'm very pleased to announce that Michu will be taking over the day to day running of Modular Corner whilst I'm away.
I'm not off for a couple of weeks yet, but I'm glad to see that I leave the site in capable hands. :smile:

Cheers,
Ben
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Oh oh Michu - Flexor is coming ..... :lol:
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Now I have something to look forward to coming back to England for ! Flexor looks awesome! But I think I can wait until September :wink:
Having a great time (in Boston at the moment).
Cheers,
Ben
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

I'm back !

Got back to England last Weds, and have had a few days to re-acclimatise myself, and now I'm back at work :sad:

Without boring you with all the details, we've had an absolutely fantastic 6 months. Particular highlights were diving with dwarf Minke whales on the gt barrier reef, sleeping out under the stars in the desert in Australia and doing an 8 day fast/cleanse (including twice daily colonic irrigation !!!) in Thailand just before coming home. We spent time in the following countries: North America, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand. Loved each country, and would happily go back and spend more time in each of them. We're back feeling happy, relaxed and definitely recharged.

I thought that Flexor might be out by the time we got back, but I think we have to be patient with that one. Meanwhile there's lots of other interesting things happened (Noah, Solaris, B2003, uberplastic, Amper, etc) so plenty for me to get excited about.

Anyway, thanks a million to Michu for looking after the site in my absence - I'll try and get the news page up to date over the next few days. Lots of new patches for me to try out. Have you noticed that there are 60 patches to download with Flexor... That's going to take a lot of investigation - can't wait.

Cheers,
Ben
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Good to read that you had a nice, recharging time.
Flexor is knocking at our doors and I´am sure that this will balance the difference between Reaktor and CW´s modular a little. It´s good to have both of them.
Welcome back Ben.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Here are a few photos from our live aboard dive trip on the Great Barrier reef. The second group of photos shows the Dwarf Minke Whales we dived with. Dwarf in this case means 'only' 8 metres long. We spent over two hours in the water with these magnificent creatures, first diving, and then snorkelling once air had run out. At times, there were up to 8 whales in the water with us, swimming as close as its possible to be without actually touching us. Truly awe inspiring!
<a href=http://benwalker1793.fotopic.net/>Ben's photos</a>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben Walker on 2003-09-15 17:36 ]</font>
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Every time i read this post i keep thinking it says you went swimming with dwarves, conjuring up all sorts of Lynchian images. Cripes. i actually thought you were back some time ago and that this was a new thread cos you were off again!
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Some exceptionally cool-looking cuttlefish there :smile:

*very jealous* hehe

peace
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

wow, what colours I like div23 very much.
In the middle of nature, great.
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

nice pics!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

welcome back, ben! it sure seems like you had some crazy fun!
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Seems you had a good time :smile:
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Welcome back!

It seems you had great time, very nice pics...I hope you'll have good time with the new modular stuff around too....

Cheers Ben. :smile:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Was it difficult to take the fish photos? Was it dangerous?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-09-23 16:39 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

Wow, some of these pictures are absolutely fabulous. I was especially impressed by the pics of the whales, that one can swim so close...

Ben, you know how to make one envy you :lol:
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Yeah I was also wondering what you used to take those underwater pics... they came out very well indeed :smile:
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

The pictures were actually taken by a fellow diver who was on the 'live aboard' dive boat with us. He was using a small digital camera (Canon or Sony, I think) - you know the sort, with a little LCD one the back, etc, but one of the accessories he'd bought was a waterproof case.

He could take the camera down to 30 meters, no problem, and the case had an extra level of magnification (as well as the cameras own zoom) which is very useful for underwater photography, as you can get good close ups without having to get too close and disturb the fish too much.

I have to write to him anyway, so will try and get more details from him about the camera. I was very impressed, and would definitely think about getting a similar camera for when I next go diving.

Samplaire, you asked if it was dangerous. Well, I guess diving is inherently a hazardous sport, but providing you are sensible and well trained, you should not have any problems. People get into difficulties when they dive outside the level of their training and experience, or if they go and do stupid things like poking sharks (I've seen this happen).
Personally, I think diving is far less dangerous than driving on the motorway, and it's a far more pleasant and relaxing activity! I spent almost 24 hours underwater during the 6 months that we were away, and I can't reccomend it highly enough. I learned to dive about 10 years ago, and it has opened up a whole new world of experience to me.

Anyway, this is getting seriously OT, n'est-ce pas? Why aren't you all playing with your Flexors instead of looking at my photos. :smile:

Cheers,
Ben

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben Walker on 2003-09-24 05:49 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Flexor? What is that? :lol:
But seriously. I had once an opportunity to dive (25minutes, 6m deep) and I found it interesting yet exciting. The main thing to rtemember is to breathe very deeply and not to stop breathing - there is no way to take additional breaths later! I know it can be dangerous that's why I asked you about touching the fishes which sometimes can send you toxic fluids as well as high voltage. This can disturb your breath and troubles are ready! But as I can see 'diver' is your second name (right behind 'walker' :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-09-24 08:51 ]</font>