Clicks and pops

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

orbita

Post by orbita »

Can anyone help, I get intermittant clicks and pops from my setup and I cant work out whats causing it. I dont think its from ASIO since it doesnt go away when I remove the ASIO modules. I thought maybe it was due to dirty ADAT cables but ive changed them and its still there.

Basically, I get these clicks that sound like digital clipping and it can appear on random channels on the mixer or not on any channels at all. If there is no sound playing through it might click every few seconds or every 30 seconds or so. Sometimes playing sounds through it (internal or external will create worse clicking.

Ive been plagued by this for ages and cant work out whats causing it.

My system is as follows
Windows XP SP1 running SFP3.1c
Scope SP
Scope SRB
LUNA
2 X Ultra A16 - (one plugs in using 2x ADAT, the other uses 1x ADAT and 1x Zlink)

All my external synths connect into the A16s

Im using the 48 channel mixer and a couple of synths like minimax, prophet plus + pro one in combination with external synths. I dont use any VSTs.

Any ideas what could be causing these damn clicks?!

Ive discovered I get the clicks even when I disable the A16 that uses the 2x ADAT. I cant disable the other one since the final mix out comes from that one.
FreiFlug

Post by FreiFlug »

I have the same problem and i suggest that it has something to do with reverbs in the insertslots. That´s what i figuered out last week. I got random clicks in one channel of the STM 24/48 Mixer too. When i get the masterverb out of the insertslot it´s gone. My setup you can see in the TechTalkforum/CreamwareUserSetup/second page. Maybe there´s a solution for the problem.
CU
petal

Post by petal »

Perhaps some precise infomation on what's inside your computer would help to narrow down the problem.

Thomas :smile:
orbita

Post by orbita »

Its a Carillion Machine with 2 seagate barracuda 80g drives, an intel 2gig chip Matrox g550 and 1gig rdram. Then the soundcards are a Scope SP, a Scope SRB and a Luna card. Separated by card fans that keep them cool. I've noticed the clicking has reduced significantly recently but I have no idea why.
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

Hi orbita,

I have the same problem with my scope/sp card, make click and pops, and sometimes making everything sounds like it 2 bit + a lot of noise.

I found out that if I went back of my computer and pressed the actual outputs of the scope card ( the backplate with ADAT etc) a little up, the click disapered.

Then I took out the card and demounted the daugtherboard, and made sure that everything was nice and clean. Too, a cleaned my S/TDM slots.

And my noise & pops is gone...

Hope this helps you
Yours truely

Noah Laux
----------
http://www.thalamus.dk
FreiFlug

Post by FreiFlug »

Thanx Thalamus. That seems to be possible. I´ll try that.
orbita

Post by orbita »

Cheers for the suggestion, ill give it a try..