Recording Dolby 5.1 to Audio CD

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ontik

Post by ontik »

(Repeated from a less appropriate topic)

This is about the best tip I think I've ever had to offer.

Some of you may already be able to do this but I know I spent a lot of time finding out how to do it. I know the question has been raised here but I never found the answers I was looking for.

What you'll need:
1. Any mixer that allows for 5.1 channel output. (STM 48 S is the current one and I can't recall the model no. of the older ones)
2. Audio recording software (y'know Cubase or Logic)
3. A digital connection between your soundcard and a dolby 5.1 receiver and may I take this opportunity to stress that you should have this and at least 5 speakers connected. (All but the Sub)
4. An AC3 Encoder (They're expensive aren't they? Read On.)
5. CD Burner & Blank CD

What to do:
Firstly get your mixer and 5.1 receiver configured and working. Create your mix so that you have your 6 (or 5) outs from the going of to 6 (or 5) there4 desired speakers

Next, in your CW project, route your 6 (or 5) channel output to 6 (or 5) asio dest channels. You are trying to create 6 (or 5) separate mono wavs, one for each channel. So record them in the audio app of your choice.

Next using your AC3 encoder.... Oh hang on I forgot.

I am having an ethical dilemma on this one. Sonic Foundry once sold a program called Soft Encode but don't anymore. So although I am not a user of cracked software (anymore cos I'm a developer and after a crisis of conscience decided that ownership has its privileges ) I have chosen to use it cos I can't buy it from them and its still out there in crack land. If you need to know where it is lemme know.

In short, Soft Encode allows you to import your 6 (or 5) mono files and generate an AC3 file. (File format for Dolby 5.1)

In order to get this thing to work on standard Audio CD's (Although it must be played back via a DVD player ONLY. You can trash speaker if you try on a normal CD player.) Follow this link and read it:

http://www.modernrecording.com/articles ... -ac3.shtml

Follow the instructions and start handing out cheap audio CD's containing Dolby 5.1 recordings to your mates who have DVD players and home theatre setups. So I'm a show off. Sue me And yes "F***" is still by far the most commonly used first word response

Many of you like myself will be able to do this without cost as you will have almost all you require to do the job already. (Most audiophiles have home theatre already don't they?)

Quite a coup I thought. Enjoy!!
ontiK.

"If I have to explain, you won't understand."
brain1

Post by brain1 »

you can find great tools for encoding 5.1 here:
http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/Products_3.htm
ontik

Post by ontik »

Agreed,

If you are doing pro recordings and have a need for support/upgrades etc. This range of goodies is one of the most cost effective I have found.

But there are others so if you need maintainable software then do your homework. Others are SEK'D, genuine Dolby (is hardware and expensive but...) etc. etc...
cook

Post by cook »

Yes, very nice! The little SFP-surroundmixer is the STM16S and comes with standard Luna-software!
DJATWORK

Post by DJATWORK »

Hey ONTIK!! I´d like you to tell me where to find those encoders... (My consience let me do it by now!!!)

Thanks!!!

DJATWORK!
at0m

Post by at0m »

"still trying to do a decent stereo mix instead of jumping to Dolby5.1"

:grin:
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
ontik

Post by ontik »

Hah! Ain't that the truth. :grin:

One tip though is that you have far more flexibility in the panning department when you want to push sound into their own 'sonic space'.

However you must still get your mix right when you intend to perform spacial panning sweeps.

Oh Rev Wah.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ontik on 2002-08-02 04:52 ]</font>