ASIO for modern times

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

ASIO for modern times

Post by Music Manic »

Last edited by Music Manic on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Music Manic

Re: DAS Polteq

Post by Music Manic »

I've just read that scope is 32bit integer, so which ASIO drivers are best suited, seeing that modern DAWs are 64 bit floating point?

What actually happens when the audio enters the Scope environment? Do the DAWs take the output of Scope audio and reconstruct them correctly? Would integer to float to integer affect things?

I still love sound of VDat.

Thanks
fra77x

Re: ASIO for modern times

Post by fra77x »

The application probes the drivers on the system (here scope asio) for it's native format. Then it streams the audio according to that. Yes if internal computation is different format conversion can take place. I can't advice about which module to use. I use the "32 bit asio" and not the "flt" type but i haven't tested that thoroughly. I know scope is 32 bit fixed so i don't use the "flt" so to avoid conversion. I also prefer VDAT, and i can here differences between wavelab playback (plays the 32 bit integer files as 24 bit int) and reaper playback (converts audio to 64 bit floating). I prefer precision of integers and simpler computation than infinite headroom of floating.

a kind of informative article http://www.dspguide.com/ch28/4.htm