A little look at Japan

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

skwawks

A little look at Japan

Post by skwawks »

http://youtu.be/dxi6tHDhZKY
We went to see the snow monkeys near Nagano last November . I thought someone might like to see them too
Nestor

Re: A little look at Japan

Post by Nestor »

Really beautiful, all this little guys in hot water was great. At first, I thought, a little music in the background would have been cool, but then I realized it was very relaxing to watch this little movie as it is with the water sounds, really nice. I most liked the mother with his little primate son. Thank you for sharing :)
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
garyb

Post by garyb »

enjoying the Japanese national pastime, bathing....
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

There was an outdoors one for us too , the monkeys use it too sometimes :) they pretty much wander around as they please . The only thing is dont look them in the eye and dont carry food , but you can shove a camera at them and they couldn't care less . Magic place ... could you see just how fast that shinkensen was going . We dont have fast trains in australia ..we should .. I love them.. smoothest ride of any form of transport I've been in ,
Paul
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

If I were to go to Japan, I sure could not help to visit Ibanez if this was possible. How cool would be to see the manufacture of those amazing instruments! :)

And of course, I would also like to see all sorts of performances, all genres of music live, because japans people are amazing emulating anything, they are like chameleons that can very precisely get into any whatsoever kind of music, and make it shine! One of the most difficult genres to emulate in the world is Flamenco. Well, you bet, only Japanese groups have done such an accomplishment, as far as I know.
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

Thers a place in Tokyo called Akihabara ,it's also called electric city . It's great all sorts of gizmos and stuff . What I didn't know when I last visited a couple of years ago was that if I'd gone on just a bit further I would have walked into Tokyos guitar district :x Now I know and next time I'm in Tokyo I'm sure going . I'll find a link for you Nestor and post it
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I don’t know to which extent they will let you in, but hey, if you can see the instruments assembly chain that would already be fantastic. Ibanez has already 100 years of existence, being one of the oldest manufacturers of electric guitar and basses. I know they have a room where they have all the models created from the beginning until now, that would be truly interesting. Cheers :wink: I look foward to that link.
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

This a copy paste of something I found looking for info, just use google and follow your nose , you'll find some interesting guitar shops and stuff

"I like "Music Key" in Shibuya, "Ishibashi" and a couple of smaller ones in Ochanomizu,
and the "Sofmap" Apple store in Akihabara which has the "Creator's" shop on
the 5th floor. These have the best prices I've found. For smaller accessories and
live sound stuff, I like the "Tomoca" shop on the 2nd floor of the "My Way" complex
next to the JR in Akihabara. Occaisonally I've found great deals on "sale"
items at Yamano Music in Ginza, 6th floor, although right now it's being renovated
and is very limited. Yes, i've been shopping! "
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

ah, interesting you went straight for a pretty high level Japanese entertainment. For travel, Japan really only has onsen.. been that way since a long, long time ago. When I moved to Japan in highschool, I couldn't understand why there were no other places to visit.. always the same thing, onsen, food, onsen, food. But as I got older, I began to really appreciate the very delicate balance of artificial (lodging, food) experience and experiencing nature. (you're there.. surrounded by it) I still think it's a bit of an acquired taste, since not all lodgings are five star quality, or not every facility is new and shiny. The main part, though, bathing outside, surrounded by nature, hearing the rumbling river, birds.. is in a dimension of its own.

Every time I go, I find it fascinating to think that people 1000 years ago, did the same. Traveling thousands of miles to go to yet another onsen, only to enjoy the most minute difference in geography, seasons, maybe just a different local herb that you can eat there. Japanese people do that a lot.. they travel to towns to just eat a local brand of soba or udon. Eating soba from all over Japan, and drinking sake from all over Japan was a very popular hobby for rich shoguns.

One interesting thing that I picked from onsen menus is that they mix local foods and far away foods in an interesting way. Most onsens are in the mountains, so they will have plenty of mushrooms and local herbs, especially seasonal herbs. So it emphasizes location, and season, or time. But then there would usually be one dish that is from far away. If you're in the mountains, it will be something from the ocean, or vice versa. I guess from a modern perspective it means very little because of convenient delivery routes, but 1000 years ago, it must have been eye popping.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the trip.
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

Ken we loved the trip. 3rd time for me but this time as you see we got out of the city . We're going back if we can . we're going to go to Matsumoto and we're going to do that alpine crossing so we'll go from Toyama to Matsumoto across the top . Buses ,Rack and pinion trains , cable cars and walking . Going that way is supposed to be one of the best bus rides in the world . Plus we want to go to Kanazawa and back to Takayama so Kerry can buy more vintage kimono fabric for her quilts , pronounced Koowiltoo in Japanese :-) except this time we'll go to the yubinkyoko and send them home rather than ME carrying them around Japan . We walked on the Kumano Kodo this time , from Takajiri oji to Takahara ( terrific Ryokan food in Takahara... traditional with an edge @ Ryokan Kiri No Sato)and Takahara to Nonaka and from Hongu Taisha to Yunomine where we had a bath in a unesco listed onsen . We would have walked from Nonaka to Hongu but the Typhoon broke the trail . We saw a lot of Typhoon damage ,a bad year for Japan "11 . We also went to Toba and saw the the Mikimoto pearl museum , I first thought well this is going to be boring as batshit but it was sensational . Not only did Dr. Mikimoto pioneer cultured pearls he personally set up an international trading organisation from Japan to the U.S. to Europe and the U.K. in 1908 . Quite a guy .Anyway there you go .... Love the Joint, except someones got to tell them you cant eat bacon and eggs with chopsticks :D
astroman

Post by astroman »

bon appetit, Paul - nice clip, really enjoyed it :D

cheers, Tom
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

Thanks Tom . Nice to hear from you