problem with win7/64 and jb synth-pack

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

soylent.green

problem with win7/64 and jb synth-pack

Post by soylent.green »

i've bought the jb synth pack soem weeks ago and from the begining it was no fun: sc delivered keys for synths that were not in download area and for some synths they didn't deliver keys...but by trial and error I was able to unlock solaris with a key for another synth.
But then I have problems loading synths, there is an error message about some. sys file that is missing. but actually the file is there. talked to sc about that weeks ago, they told me that i need the 64bit version of that file and that i can find this on there dl area or on jb site - nope, both not.
I tried to contact sc twice since my first inquiry. i've waited days...weeks...nothing. that sucks big deal. i've spent some euro and do not get working synths, not matching keys, short answers that contain not true things...is sc a company that i can keep trust in in the long term...
right now, i'm very disappointed. I very much look forward getting the cubase 6.5 update, but from an emotional point of view I've stopped enjoying my pulsar stuff..
garyb

Re: problem with win7/64 and jb synth-pack

Post by garyb »

64bit versions of .sys files are John's job(the error message probably calls them vxd files). i'm not sure if it's a rewrite or just a recompile. John will need to do it. please request 64bit versions of the sys files from him. tell him what file you are having trouble with(it'll be an sys if the error message says vxd) and ask him for a 64bit version. John is a very nice guy. i'm sure he'll help. if you pm me with the info, i'll contact him and ask.

i'm sure that i wrote to you in the past. perhaps my explanation was poor, but whether the plugin works in 64bit systems or not is the developer's business. if John doesn't intend to provide the 64bit version, then i agree that the description in the shop should say 32bit only, but i doubt that John has even tried to use a 64bit system with those plugins. he may not even be aware that you are having this problem. it may not be that big of a deal to provide a 64bit sys file.

actually, i think the synths will work without those files, but samples probably won't load. what the sys file does is allow the dsps to use the computer system's ram and other resources. in order for the dsps to access those resources, win 7 requires administrator rights for the application, which is Scope in this case. that's why Scope must be run "as administrator".
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Here's a tip for the SC headquarters:

TEST YOUR PRODUCTS!
Then clarify if it works with 64bit OS or not. I should't be too hard.

And Gary, are the distributors, it is their/your responsibility to put the correct info in the shop. I have no idea why they can't be bothered, as this is easy info to put up there, if they are bothered to try out their products.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i can't argue with that.

i don't think that anyone's been defrauded, though, either. the judge doesn't need his robes.

i only have the reality that exists.
there are only so many hours available in a day and a handful of people to man those hours.
money must come in.
products must be made.
do you want fixes?
do you want to use win7 with ten and fifteen year old cards?
do you want there to be a future for Scope?

what seems simple often is not, sadly.

personally, i hate failure and disappointment but when it happens, i'm not going to just ball up and die, either.

you better understand, that what can be done is being done. there may be mistakes in priority, but then sometimes the choices are between problem a and problem b and there is no win in sight. many battles are lost before the victory in a big war.

these are not valid excuses, however.
excuses are not useful.

what i am trying to do, is to fix a situation as it exists NOW.

it is still John's job to provide 64bit files. he's not bad because he hasn't done it, it would've been good for the shop to have a disclaimer. it's probably not THAT big of a deal to get him to provide the file(s). if it is a big deal, then that can be dealt with also.

again, i'm not suggesting that everything is great, but i am saying that if you want those synths in the 64bit environment, John needs to be contacted. i'm even willing to do it i know which synths and what files have problems. this is what i said before the post in this forum. is John even aware of this? i mean, he may be...
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

x64 sys files had to be rewritten not just recompiled_
only developer can do;
additional they had to be digitally signed_

good vibes
soylent.green

Post by soylent.green »

garyb wrote:64bit versions of .sys files are John's job(the error message probably calls them vxd files). i'm not sure if it's a rewrite or just a recompile. John will need to do it. please request 64bit versions of the sys files from him. tell him what file you are having trouble with(it'll be an sys if the error message says vxd) and ask him for a 64bit version. John is a very nice guy. i'm sure he'll help. if you pm me with the info, i'll contact him and ask.

i'm sure that i wrote to you in the past. perhaps my explanation was poor, but whether the plugin works in 64bit systems or not is the developer's business. if John doesn't intend to provide the 64bit version, then i agree that the description in the shop should say 32bit only, but i doubt that John has even tried to use a 64bit system with those plugins. he may not even be aware that you are having this problem. it may not be that big of a deal to provide a 64bit sys file.

actually, i think the synths will work without those files, but samples probably won't load. what the sys file does is allow the dsps to use the computer system's ram and other resources. in order for the dsps to access those resources, win 7 requires administrator rights for the application, which is Scope in this case. that's why Scope must be run "as administrator".
gary - thanks for you're reply
but actualy I don't want to be made responsible for getting things to work. and actually I have made a contract with sc. and in german law the seller is responsible for providing a working product to the buyer. so yes, it's johns task to do the technical stuff but it's sonic cores liability to provide a working product to me. and i want to stress this - the disappointing thing is not only that I don't have working synths, but the lack of sc's customer care, i.e. no (for several weeks now) or not helpful responses to my inquiries.

and yes - I allways run scope in admin mode. it won't work otherwise. the problem is really the 64bit thing, because I remember double clicking on the file and it says sth like 'wrong os'...but don't take this for granted, maybe it's just a wrong memory.
soylent.green

Post by soylent.green »

garyb wrote:i can't argue with that.

i don't think that anyone's been defrauded, though, either. the judge doesn't need his robes.

i only have the reality that exists.
there are only so many hours available in a day and a handful of people to man those hours.
money must come in.
products must be made.
do you want fixes?
do you want to use win7 with ten and fifteen year old cards?
do you want there to be a future for Scope?

what seems simple often is not, sadly.

personally, i hate failure and disappointment but when it happens, i'm not going to just ball up and die, either.

you better understand, that what can be done is being done. there may be mistakes in priority, but then sometimes the choices are between problem a and problem b and there is no win in sight. many battles are lost before the victory in a big war.

these are not valid excuses, however.
excuses are not useful.

what i am trying to do, is to fix a situation as it exists NOW.

it is still John's job to provide 64bit files. he's not bad because he hasn't done it, it would've been good for the shop to have a disclaimer. it's probably not THAT big of a deal to get him to provide the file(s). if it is a big deal, then that can be dealt with also.

again, i'm not suggesting that everything is great, but i am saying that if you want those synths in the 64bit environment, John needs to be contacted. i'm even willing to do it i know which synths and what files have problems. this is what i said before the post in this forum. is John even aware of this? i mean, he may be...
but gary ... you're response is like a excuse for any failure at all and once again the call to be patient and faithfull and stuff...this is really wrong, because you say like it's our fault, because we want sth so extraordinary and therefore we have to accept whatever happens/not happens to us from sc. this is not the way you can build trust or bigger customer base.it's actually a way to get rid of past faithful customers. I started owning pulsar cards from about version 2 of the sw, and actually considered buying a xcite...but now no more...
xite knight

Post by xite knight »

soylent.green wrote: I have made a contract with sc. and in german law the seller is responsible for providing a working product to the buyer
Maybe SC will allow you to return the product and get your money back in case you can't get it working... Just an idea
Cheers
garyb

Post by garyb »

soylent.green wrote:but gary ... you're response is like a excuse for any failure at all and once again the call to be patient and faithfull and stuff...this is really wrong, because you say like it's our fault, because we want sth so extraordinary and therefore we have to accept whatever happens/not happens to us from sc. this is not the way you can build trust or bigger customer base.it's actually a way to get rid of past faithful customers. I started owning pulsar cards from about version 2 of the sw, and actually considered buying a xcite...but now no more...

???

i'm saying no such thing.
i'm saying that i want to help you be able to use the plugins, but the fact remains that John needs to be informed.

i don't care about quotes of law or whatever. that's not the issue. no one has the intention to rip you off. if you want ME to contact John, i've already told you what i need. we can handle that via pm or email. if you just want to publicly flog me, you can, but it doesn't help to fix the situation. you can be mad at S|C if you want to, i'd still like to fix the problem.

if for some reason John can't provide a 64bit version, like other developers can, then i will forward your info to the powers that be to get you some satisfaction. i can't do any better than that.
soylent.green

Post by soylent.green »

Okay, let's say nobody said anything about nothing. I want a running system and if sc isn't capable of providing good customer support then let's take care of it on our own...

And by the way, thanks for your help. I appreciate that - you've responded within hours and I'm sure we can handle this in a constructive way.

Error Mesage "Can't find DSP file JBCtrlSh VxD - Please check installation"
Reproducible: yes
How to reproduce: Just Drag solaris_v5 into routing pane
File is here: <basedir>\SCOPE PCI\App\Sys\JBCtrlSh.sys
File is attached with changed extension ".txt2 instead of ".sys"
System: Core i7, 6GB, Win7 64 Bit, 2 * 6DSP Pulsar Cards
Scope Version V5.1.2709-x64 (allways started as admin)
Attachments
JBCtrlSh.txt
(11.16 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'll write John.

just for reference, it's the JBCtrlSh.sys that is the file in question.

if you could pm me your email, i'll let you know what's happening.
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Let the Z know too, Gary - I'm waiting on 64bit files for JB's synths.

/dave
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, have you contacted John?
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Oh yeah, he knows about this.
I don't want to hound John right now, he must be as busy (or more) than the SC guys. But I hope this is on his list (Xite versions too) & more requests will help.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'm not sure that he knows what he needs to do. i doubt that he has a 64bit system. i think that he knows that people have had trouble with 64bit systems and his synths, but i think he's been so cuaght up in Solaris that he hasn't really looked at what's needed.

anyway, he's a smart guy. i'm sure that this can be dealt with once and for all.
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Me too, I can be patient.
Mostly my issue is a bunch of "file missing" messages that have to be ignored after which the devices load and work. So it's tolerable.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, but the samples probably don't load in anything with a wave table.

could you pm me with a list of missing files? i'd like to get him moving in the right direction, if possible.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Guys, I emailed John many months ago, since I had this problem with some Zarg synths going way back when I first got my Xite over 2 years ago.
I also spoke with him at NAMM back in January.

He's aware of the issue - but he needs the resources that are otherwise working on getting Solaris out the door.

Nevertheless this is the only thing that has hiccups on my Xite, and I'm still able to get it to run with 3 voices after some coaxing :wink: .

Greg
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's time to fix this.

i'm going to hassle him(in a loving way) and i'll let Holger know about the shop listing.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Thanks Gary (and everyone else) - I've been too busy to contact John about this, but would be very glad to have my Solaris working in win7 64bit if it's possible. It's the only fly in an otherwise perfect ointment.