Finally got my new Bass!!! (many pictures)

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

wayne

Re: Finally got my new Bass!!! (many pictures)

Post by wayne »

It's funny - I started bass life on rotosounds, with the tone turned up full - 30 odd years later it is DRs, change them every 3 years, no or very little tone. But I was way in to Marcus M and Daryl J's playing then.

On slapping the 5 Nestor - take a little care building your right hand for the extra thumb extension. When I first had my stingray 5 I did a 7 hour gig, just went ahead belting the stuffing out of it like on the Jazz - and twisted a bone out in my hand. It was 6 months of therapy before I could play again.

I know this is unlikely to happen to you, with the low action and your dexterity and finesse (I have been described as "mauling the bass" :lol: ) - but it's worth keeping in mind.
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

Cochise wrote:...as for DR I've found those a bit too metallic, on guitars, years ago, at least...
I confused DR with GHS, which sounded very bright on my guitars many years ago. Actually I probably never played DR strings (yet) .
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

but... should I look for long scale, or medium scale strings for the SR neck?
:D This should be the second time I replace strings on this bass... the first time was when I replaced P's... coated strings last a long time..
garyb

Post by garyb »

long scale.

btw- ghs makes stainless and nickel wrapped strings, like most manufacturers.

here in the USA, there are only about four actual string manufacturers, yet many times that number of brands. there are about two manufacturers of wire. the brand is not nearly as important as the material, since everybody gets wire from the same source. there are like three makers of string winding equipment, and they are three of the four or so main manufacturers of strings as well. any good quality string will be about the same as any other good quality string made of the same wire...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Cochise wrote:
Nestor wrote: Those where crazy times, but both, the square and the both-sided basses did their job. The square one was called by people "water heater", what made me laugh a lot... :lol:
Wondering if you had anyway been inspired by the lamp in first pic for the shape
I probably got it subconsciously without realizing, just kidding... :lol: Don't really know why I decided for that particular shape. The frettless one it is like interesting and I think it is beautiful, but the square one... don't know really, why I did it... :P If was fun anyway. Electronics where very different from anything I know, a friend of mind did it, and we all where children playing, it was beautiful and we were all the time in a state of "totally out of enthusiasm".
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

wayne wrote:It's funny - I started bass life on rotosounds, with the tone turned up full - 30 odd years later it is DRs, change them every 3 years, no or very little tone. But I was way in to Marcus M and Daryl J's playing then.

On slapping the 5 Nestor - take a little care building your right hand for the extra thumb extension. When I first had my stingray 5 I did a 7 hour gig, just went ahead belting the stuffing out of it like on the Jazz - and twisted a bone out in my hand. It was 6 months of therapy before I could play again.

I know this is unlikely to happen to you, with the low action and your dexterity and finesse (I have been described as "mauling the bass" :lol: ) - but it's worth keeping in mind.

Oh man! That was seriuous, your finger got trapped between strings, and when you pulled out, bung! Is this what happened?
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

garyb wrote:long scale.

btw- ghs makes stainless and nickel wrapped strings, like most manufacturers.

here in the USA, there are only about four actual string manufacturers, yet many times that number of brands. there are about two manufacturers of wire. the brand is not nearly as important as the material, since everybody gets wire from the same source. there are like three makers of string winding equipment, and they are three of the four or so main manufacturers of strings as well. any good quality string will be about the same as any other good quality string made of the same wire...

Interesting information Gary. So, chose material instate of trademark, cool.

I am planning using the 485 stringed EADGC with my next set of strings, I am surprised that there are not ready made sets for this tuning. The only way to do it is getting a 6-string set instead, letting the 6th string out.

Now, about string brightness, I will give you an interesting "recipe" guys: take your strings out, boil them in water at the maximum temperature you can for about 10 minutes. Then, dry the strings imediately after taking them out of the boiling water. Then, if you have a hair dryer, pass it for a while till you know they are totally dry. Now, inmediately after add some machine oil, then pass onto it a dry cloth, put them back into your bass and you'll be surprised when hearing the gone brightness back just like when you had the new strings on. It simply works!
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, boiling them gets the skin, oil and dirt out from between the windings.

yes, material over trademark among well made, good quality sets. if you find a set you like though, no reason not to stick with it...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Here is the demo of HOW my bass sounds... :D

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30407
Throttler

Post by Throttler »

:D awesome work!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hello there :)

A little update again with my last song, which is a Brazilian Samba, so to study the character and tone of this wonderful instrument. This is my last one by the way, for this purpose.

This song is entirely made out of basses, I mean, 4 basses in all:

1- A deep one for the rithmic foundation

2- One only for chords

3- Melody

4- Solo

Then there is some drum and percussion

Here you have the link: http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 18#p278118
garyb

Post by garyb »

that was really nice!

glad you're having a good time....
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

garyb wrote:that was really nice!

glad you're having a good time....
I truly am Gary, thank you brother for your always supportive human feelings :)
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

I've recently gone for D'Addarrio pro steels big time , same guage as you . Have a search for Alain Carron on youtube if you're feeling brave :o . If that name doesn't get him "french slapper" should do the trick . He plays a six .He's friggin insane.... truly excellent band too .I got an MXR bass envelope filter a few months ago .It's a nice toy . Great job on your new girlfriend there . She's a honey and nice playing by you as well .
Paul
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I like very much Alain Carron playing style, he's fantastic :) It seems to be the same technique as alwasy, but in fact, his way of slaping is somehow different in his right hand.

His band is not too bad either :D
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

he's using up strokes with his thumb as well of course, and I think he may be plucking using three fingers not altogether but one after the other .
I think Entwhistle used three as well although he concealed it pretty well but if you slow him down a lot it sounds and seems to be three fingers plucking some times, the last movement in the bass solo in "my generation". Dah DaddleUddledah DaddleUddledah DaddleUddle dah dah :) can only be done with three although at the moment I can only do it really slowly . I'm quite interested in getting the third finger into the act . If you call index middle and ring finger 1,2,3, then sixteenths work well by going 1232 and six eight or triplets work well as "123 123 123 "at least thats what I'm thinking at the moment ....as always it could be subject to change :roll:
The Keyboard player in that band of Carrons pulls some nice sounds doesn't he . Theres a terrific guitar player on some of the tracks too
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hi Skwawks :)

I guess that everything depends on the kind of music and kind of playing you are atracted to, and how many strings you plan to play. For slap, I find that 4 strings is the best way, because the more strings you get, the more difficult it is.

For me, at the moment, it is a little difficult to slap onto the 485, strings are rather close to each other. I would like to get a 4 strings only for slaping.
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

yes it is slightly more difficult and one of the reasons I put some money and time into getting the old P up to scratch .However the P is a heavy heavy sucker ,not as bad as an Alembic, did you ever pick up an Alembic , I did once and then very quickly put it down to preserve my sex life .
We rehearse in our keyboard players place which is up a steep drive and then has 90 stone steps to the front door and carrying the P and the G+L got old very fast and also given that I've seen a lot of great slappers bashing a 5 or in Alains' case a 6 I just thought Oh Buggar it I'll slap the G+L . Initially there was a bit of pain in the quicks of my nails caused by digging beneath the strings to pop but thats gone now and I'm pretty happy about it . So much so that I've been looking at getting another 5 to set up to slap in the hope that the band gets some success and I'll have a roady to do the lugging 8)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

You are really funny if you want to, great :lol: I have played an Alembic, long time ago, yes... but my sex life is sill save.

The Ibanez 485 has one of the thinnest necks on the market, that's why it is a bit difficult. In the other hand, I love it for finger style, which is what I do most.

I know there are 5s aout there with a very open neck, quite big, and those are great for slap. Which one are you planning to get in a 5 for slap?