Does anyone use Scope and Pro Tools HD together?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

Re: Does anyone use Scope and Pro Tools HD together?

Post by the19thbear »

i have had it working succesfully with PT 9 native.

When you wrap the XTC plugins be sure to note down the latency in your Cset.ini and use the same setting in pro tools later, otherwise the plugins will sound like white noise...
I think that was the problem i had as well.... or use it with a latency equal or greater than 1024 - i am not sure though... but it has worked!
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... +pro+tools
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Cheers!

Last night, I removed the RTAS wrappers, changed the Cset buffer values to 64 (which is what PT was set to), and re-wrapped the plug-ins... Weirdly enough, the character of the hashy/digital white noise changed - it sounded slightly closer to how it was supposed to, but it was still obviously not right. I'll try setting both PT and XTC to 1024 buffers and see if that helps (though I assume I'll a bit more latency when going through XTC plug-ins, and perhaps when playing XTC synths?)

Oh - I'm trying to do this with Pro Tools *HD* remember... This is a slightly different proposition to just getting PT9 (non-HD) and XTC working, as I'm using a HD Core card with 96io as the interface, and essentially using the Scope as a DSP-only card. In theory this should be the same as getting PT 7.x to work, as back then you had to use a Digi Mbox as the interface...

The other thing I'm wondering is if Scope needs the same clock source as the 96io to work. Though I'm not sure this can be the case, since I'm not using the Scope's ASIO driver.

I'll try 1024 samples this eve, and I'll post back with the results. In the mean time, if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to share them.

Cheers!

Chris
garyb

Post by garyb »

you need to disable the Scope card's i/o...

i think there's a post on how to do that in the XTC or possibly the Tips and Tricks forum...
astroman

Post by astroman »

as usual: I'd just route the stuff via Adat physically, even on the same PC.
(of course only if that's a serious attempt to use the 'double system' that way, for testing only it's overkill)

plain setup, no latency, no software dependency between both sides
(at least I've seen some 'affordable' Adat bridges on eBay, no idea about regular prices)

cheers, Tom
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

but dont you add latency with an extra set of adat connections?
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Quite possibly... That might ruin the clocking, but then I'm not so sure if the Scope card actually needs to be clocked to provide DSP only sans I/O.

Gary, I think I already did as you suggested - if you mean the pin 2 & 3 shorting trick, as described in the XTC/PT7 thread? If you mean something else (perhaps a CSET line that disables the I/O), could you clarify?

Cheers!

Chris
astroman

Post by astroman »

the19thbear wrote:but dont you add latency with an extra set of adat connections?
sure you do... the transmitter reaction time
I had 20 samples for a full roundtrip with a digital mixer together with Scope, dunno how much was from 'inside' the mixer.
You would need a buffer for the programm communication as well.

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

chriskorff wrote:Quite possibly... That might ruin the clocking, but then I'm not so sure if the Scope card actually needs to be clocked to provide DSP only sans I/O.

Gary, I think I already did as you suggested - if you mean the pin 2 & 3 shorting trick, as described in the XTC/PT7 thread? If you mean something else (perhaps a CSET line that disables the I/O), could you clarify?

Cheers!

Chris
no, that's what i meant. you cannot use ANY Scope i/o, if you are using the card in that way, but i guess you know that...
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

I thought as much :)

I might try removing the IO plate to see if that works (though it didn't seem to be necessary with PT7). I'll keep trying, and when I find out what the problem is I'll report back, in case it'll help anyone else.

By the way, am I right in thinking that from v5 onwards, the VST DLL files don't need that batch fixer file I remember using from v4.5?

Cheers!

Chris
garyb

Post by garyb »

idk...

i would never use xtc mode... :D