SCOPE PCI v5.1 & notation software (Finale & Sibelius)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kyunghwee

SCOPE PCI v5.1 & notation software (Finale & Sibelius)

Post by kyunghwee »

More recent versions of both Finale & Sibelius seem to have terribly difficult time working with SCOPE PCI v5.1 in 64-bit Windows 7 here. ASIO driver has always been a little troublesome in the past with v4.5 & v5 in 32-bit but at least it allowed programs to start if I just take out ASIO software module in SFP. Not so much any more in v5.1 with 64-bit Windows 7. I have to go into Windows Device Manager & disable SCOPE PCI cards in order to let these applications go trouble free not dealing with SCOPE ASIO device.

Here's my work around so far:

In Sibelius 6:
1. Disable SCOPE PCI cards in Device Manager, reboot, then start Sibelius 6 (it does complain about SCOPE ASIO device not being there but that's ok since that's what we're trying to do anyway here)
2. Run Sibelius 6 (it shouldn't hang while in its splash screen anymore).
3. In 'Play>Playback Devices>Audio Engine Options', select a non-SCOPE device (I have installed & am running ASIO4ALL v2 in my case)
4. Now go back to Device Manager & enable SCOPE PCI cards.
5. Don't go back to select any SCOPE devices as audio engine as it will cause Sibelius to hang again next time you run after rebooting the machine. Then you'll have to go through process 1-4 all over again!

In Finale 2009 & 2011 (I don't have any other versions on this machine that I can test that has the problem), the work around is slightly different. At least in my machine, Finale hangs if you make a change to audio device in its menu. Only way to be able to make changes after the 1st time is to go through the process of disabling SCOPE PCI cards in Device Manager, reboot, then start Finale (just like Sibelius, it will complain about SCOPE ASIO not being there, but that's ok here too). At this point, Finale should let you select another audio device but obviously not a SCOPE device since we disabled it. At least this way, you can have Finale use its VST instruments & hear the sound through your onboard soundcard.

I know this is a terribly convoluted work around to get these meager notation software to work. Of course, my other simpler workaround is just using much older version of Finale (2006 & earlier) that did not have all these troublesome audio engine issues. I'm sure there are other SCOPE users out there using these notation software on SCOPE v5.1 in 64-bit Windows. Let me know if you know of a simpler workaround since I am out of ideas at this point until Sonic|Core hopefully can figure something out or better yet just tell me that I forgot to enable/disable something simple in my system.

Please, feel free to chip in, share solutions.
SONAR X1 PE; Live 8.2.1; Max/MSP 5.1.7; SCOPE PCI 5.1; Windows 7 (x64)
PowerPulsar+PulsarPlus+PulsarSRB+A16 Ultra; DIGIMAX FS; MTP AV USB
Core2 Q9300+DP35DP+8GB PC6400 DDR2 DIMM+GeForce 8600 GT
MOTIF8; JV-80; DR-660; DR-5; MCU PRO; BCR2000; Lemur/Dexter
dante

Re: SCOPE PCI v5.1 & notation software (Finale & Sibelius)

Post by dante »

Maybe you could use the Scope I/O Enabler instead of DEvice Manager + Reboots.

Would this take the reboots out of the picture ?
View ScopeRise latest issue at www.hitfoundry.com
kyunghwee

Post by kyunghwee »

Hmmm...I can't seem to locate this 'I/O Enabler' in my system anywhere. Any ideas on where to look or how it may have gotten left out? :-?
dante

Post by dante »

Courtesy of 'ChampionSound'

Start menu -> Scope Platform -> IO enabler
And set the desired amount of ASIO inputs, outputs and midi ports. Then restart scope, put some ASIO source (and dest) modules in the project and start cubase
kyunghwee

Post by kyunghwee »

I wonder if IO enabler is a legacy app.

I looked through my older Windows XP 32-bit system HDD image & noticed IO enabler was indeed found in SFP application folder.

But in my current system running Windows 7 64-bit with SCOPE PCI v5.1, I can't find this "IO enabler" thing. In Start menu, I have SCOPE PCI folder (which I believe is the default folder) and there's only Sonic Core SCOPE PCI, no sign of IO enabler.

Are you running 64-bit v5.1, Dante? BTW, your help/suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)
dante

Post by dante »

Nah only 5.0 in 32 bit XP. Maybe S|C dropped the IO Enabler for 5.1 64 bit ..?

Did you try running the legacy one in 32 bit compatibiity mode or whateva ?

Anyone else know whats happened to the IO enabler in Scope 5.1 ?
widy

Post by widy »

maybe a other atempt is
to use a other sequencer and integrate e.g. sibelius
e.g reaper can integrate other software for midi edition
or u can use rewire

lg widy
lg widy
kyunghwee

Post by kyunghwee »

Man, this whole 64-bit migration is turning out to be much greater headache than I had anticipated. :cry:
I thought I waited long enough for the industry to iron out issues as such...but then again, perhaps this is a longer standing issue of Sibelius v. SCOPE that has been a topic of discussion here from the days of XP.

Anyway, I just tried installing SONAR & running it in XTC mode, then realized my DSP card order had gotten all messed up in CSET.ini (as in no boardid entries) from the installation of Windows 7. Long story short, once drivers were assigned to proper DSP boards, issues with Finale seem to have subsided...for now, cross my fingers. But at least for anyone else having issues with Finale & SCOPE v5.1, here's one more item on the list of things to check for troubleshooting. Live & learn, I guess.

Now, the issue with Sibelius is still out there. Perhaps ReWire solution is the way to go, at least for now. Thanks for the suggestion, lg widy, I'll have to try that out. :)
kyunghwee

Post by kyunghwee »

Just come to think of it, I wonder if this instability is related to ULLI setting (I have set to min. latency). I'll have to try it out with increased latency & see if Sibelius can be tamed. I'll be back after this brief experiment.

Results are in...as suspected, ULLI setting made absolutely no difference. I suppose it's probably more strictly related to driver compatibility issue at this point more than anything else.
CarvinGuitarFreak

Post by CarvinGuitarFreak »

Hi,

I gave up on Sibelius with Scope a long time ago. I only found your thread as I wondering if anyone had solve the problem? I started a midi orchestration course and they used Sibelius. I brought Sib Student Edition and exchanged it for Notion3.

Notion 3 is cheap and very good. Not as good as Sibelius by a long mile. Anyhow, I don't know how advanced you are in orchestration/notation (I'm a novice) but Notion 3 is well featured and easy to use.

I can Rewire 32 staves consisting of Miroslav Philomonik, GPO4 and JABB instruments betweein Notion (slave) and Reaper (master). Haven't tried multiple instances of Notion yet. Very simple to set up. It's also great for live input.

My DAW = 3xPulsarII, 2xUAD PCIe, Scope 5.1 x64, Win7 x64, Reaper

Sorry, probably not much help.

Good luck,
CGF
(o)==][;;;;;;,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,;;;;;;;;;;;,,,..
********CARVIN GUITARS RULE*********
..,,,;;;;;;;;,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,;;;;;;;][==(o)