Fanless 1U computer for XITE-1 PCIe card

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

doktorfuture

Fanless 1U computer for XITE-1 PCIe card

Post by doktorfuture »

Hi there,

I think it's time to build a 1U, silent PC to host the XITE-1 PCIe card. I was going to buy from mini-ITX.com.

Could anyone with experience suggest a system that would work? I'm looking at a zotac mobo, and one of the 1U cases at mini-ITX.com, and a horizontal PCI Express adapter.

Key is: it has to be fanless, and just suitable for running the scope software.
garyb

Re: Fanless 1U computer for XITE-1 PCIe card

Post by garyb »

whatever the motherboard, the chipset is usually the most important thing. go Intel and it'll probably give you no trouble.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I do have experience at this from last year, and we were messing around with a 785G Zotac.
It's fine for using with an XITE-1 but w/ additional VSTi's it seems underpowered. The RAM maxxed out at 4GB's and was fine for Kontakt, but I wouldn't expect to see anyone happy that uses Cubase/Reaper to load up channels w/ VSTi's.
I did learn lots about the integrated GPU/VGA solutions though.
128MB's of Sideport RAM is an elegant way to have the GUI of apps seperate from the system RAM and it works really well.
If you just want a sequencer w/ Kontakt I would say go for it. The AMD 890 is a fine chipset, as is the 785 and 790FX from NVidia.
I chose to have more power so I built the i3 530 and OC'd it to 3.786GHz. It's great for an XITE-1 running alongside of Reaper and using Bidule as a VST ReWired Sub Host.
Reaper can actually automate hardware FX and lights while Bidule houses a few VSTi's and Kontakt.
I am OK with the Intel Graphics but it does steal system RAM. Using a 3GB Switch allows this to go unnoticed as long as I stay with underpowered VSTi's and a few PhysMod VSTi's.
I might suggest that you get the 1U w/ top ventiliation that will take the CPU heat directly out of the case.http://www.rackmountmart.com/rm1u/rm1001.htm
Thermaltakes' 1U 300watt PSU is very quiet, and their CPU HSF is also a good choice.
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, I replaced my wife's internet PC with a Foxconn 45CS recently. Intel Atom 945 chipset.
It does in fact run without a fan in a small box (I was too lazy to add something...) :D
Yet it's getting too hot according to my estimation - the thing is dead cheap, tho... these boards with CPU are less than 50 bucks.
Anyway... there should be less power consuming chipsets meanwhile, most of the juice is burned on the GPU side, a waste if you never think 3D anyway... mine didn't have PCIe, but current versions do.

I've checked that with a Luna (90 degree PCI adapter) and it was the most noise-free Scope system I ever heard.
Just plain, clean white noise when all sliders were full up.
If you're going to rackmount, I'd choose a similiar board but with heatpipe, as readymade embedded systems look like they are built accordingly (cooler-ribs on case etc).

cheers, Tom
valis

Post by valis »

Is the cpu without a fan, or the case? Gelid fans have been working good for me lately, and cpu's can be cooled with 2u copper coolers meant for racks with an oversized fan drilled into the top much more effectively than stock cooling (and much smaller than the aftermarket coolers usually.)

I always worry about excess heat near my Scope cards, but that might be because I don't have gear on hand to solder anything that small (or do more than basic diagnostics & visual inspection.)