STM 2448 in Scope 4.5 OS - possible Mon Aux send bug?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

STM 2448 in Scope 4.5 OS - possible Mon Aux send bug?

Post by t_tangent »

Can someone check this against their system to see if this is a bug or not.

On the STM 2448 routing window module, send an audio signal to any left input on a stereo channel and another signal on the right channel. Use a different type sound so that the left channel and right channel are easily identifiable, and test which signal comes from left and right image via your monitors, e.g. low pitch square wave on left channel and high pitch saw on right channel. Both should be coming from correct side of stereo image

Then connect Aux Send called 'MonL' (bottom of stm 2448 routing module) to Aux Return 'MnL' (left side of module near bottom) and repeat for Aux Send called 'MonR' by connecting it to Aux return called 'MnR'.

Then go to STM 2448 main mixer panel and select the channel where the earlier inputs were set to, turn the fader all the way down and turn on Monitor Button (On is green), turn Monitor level knob up a reasonable level and Pre Post send button (on is orange colour). Pan Knob to be left in centre.

Please confirm if the signal stereo image is reversed or if it is the same correct image as the signals from the channel output. In my case it is reversed on the Aux Send MonL and MonR. This is only a minor bug but I havent seen it mentioned before and just wanted to confirm this before I send a bug report to SC.

I dont have Scope 5 OS installed on my setup with the scope cards so if anyone running Scope 5 can they also try this out. I do have Scope 5 for XITE-1 on my laptop so will also try on that.

Thanks

t_tangent
garyb

Re: STM 2448 in Scope 4.5 OS - possible Mon Aux send bug?

Post by garyb »

yes, that's true, but that send was meant to be for monitors(headphones), so it's never been much of an issue...
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

yep.. its normal with reversed stereo image...
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hi chaps,

Thanks for trying that out. Yes its not really a big problem, just that I never noticed it before and thought I would ask in case it was just my setup :)

Yes although those connections are originally supposed to be used for Monitoring/Headphones, can they not also be used as a true stereo aux send and return?

Anyway when using them for now for whatever purpose, the routing can just be reversed by connecting the output MonL goes to Right Input and vice versa, but I will send a short message
to bug reports just to let them know.

But thanks again

t_t
garyb

Post by garyb »

of course they can be used as a stereo aux. my apologies if you thought i was dismissing your setup.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hi Gary,

No need to apologise, and thanks for the reply :) Aux send return connections have always confused me somewhat and I have often wondered whether I was using the Monitor Sends/Returns correctly, but I figured that it worked so why not use them :) A couple of other stereo send returns on the STM mixers though would have been handy in order to connect them to certain fx. I also have SpaceF's FP-106 mixer which has 3 stereo aux send and returns although I have transferred that now to my XITE-1 and still need to integrate that into my setup more fully.

For the most part the normal aux sends work fine just having a single mono send, but when connecting to a reverb unit I assume a stereo send will keep the stereo image intact. I hope I am correct in thinking this but as I mentioned before it does confuse me sometimes. But anyway, thanks again for the advice :)

Cheers

Tim
Rebu

Post by Rebu »

Hi all,

I'm on v.5 now and is the same, i discover this time ago when i try to create a cue mix connecting headphone amp to MonL and MonR. I don't know this is a bug because if used for listening a track you hear ch L and ch R inverted (and is sound like a bug) but imagine if you are tracking a drummer with common drum set, in this case you see hit hat on right side so in mixer if you panning this piece 100%R in drummer headphone hh are 100%L and in his perspective is correct. ..i'm confused too..

Hope example is clear my Eng is orrible :cry:
garyb

Post by garyb »

why go to all that trouble for a headphone mix? (just mono the drums)
why work with prima donnas, especially one's who have done so little?
why not just swap cables, left and right?
Rebu

Post by Rebu »

garyb wrote:why go to all that trouble for a headphone mix? (just mono the drums)
why work with prima donnas, especially one's who have done so little?
why not just swap cables, left and right?
It depend what you need in my case all is started trying to create a cue mix for different musician in 2448 but actually is more simple do this in a daw and then routing all (stereo pair) to different A16 Ultra audio out.
Maybe 2448 need a little improvement in this way
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

it's always been like that, I remember asking the same question