Sequencer With External Audio Source

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post Reply
dawman
Posts: 14368
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Sequencer With External Audio Source

Post by dawman »

I am not a big fan of Arrpeg 1 & 2, they are nice but extremly mechanical sounding.
I would like to build a Sequencer in Modular using the external audio from my Analog Synth.
Is this possible or is it a waste of time. I have to consider the audio degradation, and the small amount of latency too, but I just love the incredible amount of controls available in Modular.

Is there a patch somewhere I can check out the color, and controls..?
User avatar
siriusbliss
Posts: 3118
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Cupertino, California US
Contact:

Re: Sequencer With External Audio Source

Post by siriusbliss »

Wow, we're in sync. there Jim. Was just farting around with Arpeg today.

It's fine. It's still an arpeggiator.
Wolf's sequencer is OK also.

What I REALLY need is a sequencer/step that simply tracks external chords. I do NOT want a preconceived step sequencer, and I do not want 'static' arpeggiation patterns. I do not need to just turn on preconceived sequences with a MIDI command. I need tracking and following.

Arpeg02 does the arpeggiation OK, with some pseudo randomness and what-all, but it's still 'static'.

I'm looking at building something similar to Omnisphere's step arpeggiator.

In other words - sustain chords along the timeline and have the step arpeggiator take care of the rhythmic component .

Purpose is to setup a real-time backing track under my real-time performance so I can modulate around jazz style, while also soloing.

I know it's possible somehow - probably a combination of Arpeg02 and some other module (maybe Wolf's). Just haven't had time to build it.

Greg

p.s. as already discussed elsewhere, I can already do this with Roland GR-33 and Axon AX-100 guitar synth interfaces.
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman
Posts: 14368
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: Sequencer With External Audio Source

Post by dawman »

With Roy's help I think we can get close.
I wish to trigger pre programmed passages using note input and let Modular do it's magic.
I think you should get the old ancient Kurzweil Expressionmate.
It has a long ribbon and you could trigger 3 different arrpegiations, bi directional,etc.
I'll let you know what I come up with.
User avatar
siriusbliss
Posts: 3118
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Cupertino, California US
Contact:

Re: Sequencer With External Audio Source

Post by siriusbliss »

OK great.

Yeah, should be no more need for anymore hardware :)

I also have a padKontrol, which serves multiple functions from controller to drum trigger.

Some other nifty programs out there that are great tools that could be emulated in Scope:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman
Posts: 14368
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: Sequencer With External Audio Source

Post by dawman »

I have figured it out but it is a very complex Modular creation.
It requires 7 x Modular patches just to have a monophonic and 4 voice polyphonic accompaniment.
1 x for SE-1 patterns, 1 x for LFOtoMIDI SE-1 control.
4 x for Prowave polyphonic patterns, and 1 x for LFOtoMIDI Prowave control.

The Prowave version would use 4 x monophonics patterns that would be used for 4 seperate intervals of a chordal structure. They could also have staggered, and random rhythms. The staggered rhythms are reminsicient of SpaceF's LBH series of devices.
The 4 seperate instances using Roys Piano roll modules also have glide per note which could all have 4 x different glide amounts which mimics a real analog synth and has some really incredible variations.
This is a giant programming experience for me though. The building of the patches was a chore, the foresight of programming the patterns so that they can be used as chords is a massive chore, but I think this could be a really unique live performance tool.
I also can incorporate Wolfs MIDI Chordizer and 16/32 Step sequencers once I get the Modular concepts dialed in.

Even if I find this too complex to use live it was a great programming experience.
We are quite lucky to have a guy like Roy making new modules, as each new version has improvements on the original CW and also his earlier version as well.
User avatar
siriusbliss
Posts: 3118
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Cupertino, California US
Contact:

Re: Sequencer With External Audio Source

Post by siriusbliss »

seems like there should be a simpler way to do it.

I have some ideas using Arpeg02 (since it already captures incoming MIDI notes just fine) and some filters.

Next step would be to find some step sequence delay - maybe Wolf's matrix.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman
Posts: 14368
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:00 pm
Location: PROJECT WINDOW

Re: Sequencer With External Audio Source

Post by dawman »

Also check out Advanced Clock and Classic Filter Delay by Hifiboom.
Wolf and SpaceF have some really advanced delays. Echo35 and Matrix Delay are sick.
Post Reply