build me a 64bit pc.

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

firubbi

build me a 64bit pc.

Post by firubbi »

im interested to build a 64bit pc.
card - RME hammerfall (they have 64bit driver) connected to pulsar2 via adat.
looking for ssd hard disk and win 7.
please leave your opinion.
thanks
valis

Re: build me a 64bit pc.

Post by valis »

I'm assuming you're using the Pulsar2 in another pc, yes?
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

hi valis,
youre right and both pc are connected with adat.
1st pc is with pulsar_core2duo_4gbram_sata7200_powercore6000_duende-pcie-studio.
2nd pc is with RME hammerfall_duelcore_2gbram, so my plan is sell this pc and try the 64 bit with ssd hard disk(im not sure if there any mobo is there for ssd disk)

so has anyone tried here yet? one of my friend is works with animation has bought a dell with win 7,64bit,8gb ecc ram etc. and its pretty interesting ... everything is sooo smooth :)

anyway plz help me build a setup :)
Last edited by firubbi on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valis

Post by valis »

My Scope cards are in an older Xeon machine, connected to my "main" PC via adat, so very similar to what you're asking about. My primary pc is also a Xeon (dual quad, 2 cpu sockets) which I think you probably don't need. However any Core2 era cpu on up (or AMD from similar era) is 64bit capable. RME's drivers aren't really problematic in my experience, what you want is a known-stable motherboard & ram combination I think.

So the real question is, are you interested in going for the current p55 chipset with an i860/i870 cpu (socket 1156) & dual channel ddr3 (the 'current' product that seems to be in the best part of the price/performance curve) or a 'proven' Core2 motherboard and a Core2Quad (socket 775) running at 2.66Ghz->3Ghz. The cost savings where you are (ie, depending on your market which I'm not familiar with) might make the Core2 option the best, but here in the US there isn't a big enough cost gap to justify the older gear so the main reason (without a cost difference) to get the older hardware is if you want to stick with hardware that others have proven to be 100% solid.

IF you want the 'proven' Core2 era hardware, there are actually a lot of motherboard recommendations in this very forum that should work fine with your RME.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

if you want to run lots of VSTi the i7 on the LGA1366 socket is amazing for speed and memory bandwidth and you have a wide choice of motherboards to chose from, if you dont need "SLI" or other graphics card madness the asus P6t SE is a good one. you can put 12 GB of memory on it quite cheaply (although memory prices seem to be rising now) i would just get the i7 920 rather than the higher end ones, the price performance ratio is not very good as you go to higher models.

Getting it to run quiet is a bit more of a challenge though. a massive heatsink with 2 slow fans in push/pull seems to work quite well.

If you want to save a bit of money the Q series quads are still very good, and you can get lower power ones which are easy to run quiet.

SSD:
If you have lots of money the Intel SSD are supposed to be the best bet, but in the slightly lower ranks any of the indilinx controlled ones from OCZ, Corsair etc are good(doesnt really make much difference by brand, just get the least expensive one you can find at the time), it makes a massive difference! i just put one on my studio PC for OS/Programs and Maschine samples, it seems to run like hardware now, and its just a low end xeon quad.

If you have a Gigabit network then you can keep all your samples and work data on a machine/NAS in a different room, and just have the SSD on your studio PC, the silence is nice! gigabit network is as fast as your average mechanical hard drive anyways (actually faster drive benchmark at my work on the network shares than the local hard drive, but thats a dell lol)
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGall ... sk%20(SSD)

it looks very different from sata1 i/o and power i/o... how do you connected to your mobo? is there any special cable is being used? and thanks guys im learning more from you :)
valis

Post by valis »

Those are normal SATA & SATA-power connectors, the device is just small.

Also if you don't need more than 1 cpu socket or lots of PCIe bandwidth I do think the P55 chipset based motherboards (socket 1156) and an i860 or i870 which are branded i7 but aren't the nehelem-based socket 1366 cpu's. They're trouncing the 1366 i7 cpu's in many cpu benchmarks (including audio) at the same pricepoint, only require dual channel ram thanks to the P55 chipset (2 sticks or ddr3 instead of 3 as in x58) and the x58 motherboards come at a higher expense compared to p55 as well.
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/m ... erview.htm
so this mobo looks nice as you said.
Six Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (i can hook 2 ssd drive, and 2 sata_1 right? as you said sata1 and ssd has same i/o and same power i/o )

Expansion capabilities:
* One primary PCI Express* 2.0 x 16 bus add-in card connector (my basic vga)
* One PCI Express* 2.0 x8 bus add-in card connector, bifurcated from the primary PCI Express 2.0 x16
* One PCI Express 2.0 x4 connector
* Two PCI Express 2.0 x 1 connectors
* Two PCI Conventional bus connectors (my RME will go here)

Four 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM (16GB)
win 7 64bit

hope this works (64bit machine connected via ADAT to a 32bit will not coz any problem right?)
valis

Post by valis »

Will you use 16GB of ram? I have 16GB in this PC and rarely use more than 8GB (win7-64) unless I'm doing very large 3D renders (I do *not* use multi-gigabyte romplers though.)

Otherwise I think it's a fine choice. SATA connectors will work fine yes, so you can have 2 SSD & 2 SATA-1 if you choose (I'm guessing you're reusing older SATA drives? SATA-2 is the current standard for new ones.)

And you can connect ADAT regardless of whether the hosting computer is 32bit or 64bit, as the optical ports aren't in any way affected by that (as long as the soundcard has working drivers that is! Which RME does...)
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

thanks valis, neutron :)
btw intel is saying: http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/m ... ndows7.htm

does it mean DP55WG might not work with win 7?
valis

Post by valis »

It means that they haven't finished validation since Win7 is just out, and it could be that there are perhaps some additional onboard peripherals that don't have 'full' win7 drivers yet (but Vista drivers work fine and I suspect there's Win7 drivers for everything anyway.) Validation means that it's passed a certain number of hours of QA testing with as many things as they can test with during that validation period.
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

im interested to do sata raid. does Intel DP55WG support sata raid? do i need any controller? http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_e4i.html i read raid 0 means all HDisk will work like One disk. i dont know how to start. need help.
thanks
valis

Post by valis »

RAID has several levels: most typically striping, mirroring, parity, and spanning with software raid as in Microsoft Windows (scroll down to Operating system based {"software RAID"})
  • Put simply:
  • Striping means that data is interleaved across 2 (or more) drives so that performance is increased.
  • Mirroring means that data is written (mirrored) to 2 (or more) drives so that each drive in the set contains an exact copy of the data.
  • Parity means that a Parity block is written from which data can be reconstructed if one of the drives in a raid volume fails
    (parity is usually used in combination with Striping, Mirroring, or especially both in a hybrid RAID volume as in RAID 1+0 or 5+0)
  • Spanning means that a raid 'volume' can span multiple disks, enabling you to partition out that area as you see fit (no real benefit imo and you risk increased loss of data.)
  • RAID is commonly achieved in 3 ways:
  • BIOS-level RAID like Intel Matrix RAID
  • Using microsoft's built-in software RAID (which relies on OS-prepared volumes and drivers to function and has some cpu overhead--especially with parity blocks.)
  • Dedicated RAID controllers (which can be inexpensive up to extremely expensive depending on features.)
I recommend you dig into the links above and read a bit, but most likely you're asking about MS's software RAID or BIOS-level RAID. Then the question is what you're thinking of using it for (application/usage)?
dawman

Post by dawman »

For huge amounts of data for video RAID can save time, which translates to money.
For audio, I wouldn't waste my time.
80-90MBps is plenty of data. so the idea of faster and better will work, but you aren't going to notice anything above that. If you have Pyramix or some high end mixing solution where DSD/DXD @ 192k and 48/96 tracks are needed, one could simply use an SSD for the transferring of data, while one of those huge 1TB HDD's could be used as storage and archiving.
SSD's and even 300GB VelociRaptors can handle that chore.
I have tried RAID a couple of times for the sake of redundancy at first, and figured out the downtime one has when a HDD fails.
Nobody wants to talk about that. RAID 5 which is suppose to be the best for speed & redrundancy can barely provide similar performance during a rebiuld/failure on an expensive 3Ware or Promise Controller. This is what you should be concerned with.
IMHO it's a server trick that trickled down to consumers, and just isn't needed for gaming or audio. A database server w/ high I/O's and small chunks of data being processed simulraneously,...maybe. Audio streaming...........save your money.
You could make hot spares of critical drives and swap them out much faster than any controller can do a rebuild.
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

our pc market is still very poor. its hard to find better solution or current hardware. so after a huge search i able to find:
motherboard: Intel DP55WG (here computer source is the dealer of Intel. and they bought only 4 or 5 pcs of this mobo... this was the last one)

Processor: Intel i7-860
RAM: i didn't found any brand what Intel Suggest on the mobo page. they said not more than 1.6v http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 030683.htm so i bought 1.5 volt. hope it will work.... Transcend JetRam DDR3-1333 (JM1333KLU-2G) 2GP*4 total 8GB. as valis said 16GB is for video.(also 16GB RAM is 1100 Pound in UK) so 8GB cost me $400+

about win7: there are 3 version of win7. Home, Professional and Ultimate. does anyone know which version is for Audio? or its safe to buy the Ultimate?
thanks
dawman

Post by dawman »

There's an 8GB limit on the cheapest " home " style version. I would go the usual all the way route with this O.S. as many sampleheads I know are quite happy with the workflow and stability.
The P55's are an excellent choice IMHO. Intel shot themselves in the foot with the X58/Dual Channel mobo.
The new Intel is awesome IMHO. It has an excellent layout of features the usual short trace front surface soldering, and even the BIOS appears to have some good RAM tweaks.
Intel boards aren't very finnicky about their RAM from what I have seen.
I was restricted to a certain voltage in the P35, but I swapped it out w/ faster, higher voltage RAM and decreased the latency w/ a RAM tweak and the 3GB switch, and it runs damn fast on an E series CPU.
You have the smartest set up IMHO. All Intel usually runs perfect. It has for me anyways.

Congrats.
leavittg

Post by leavittg »

I have an 8 core MacPro with 16GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit installed natively via bootcamp, 3TB internal software raid.

You could most likely install an SSD if you wanted to...

The MacPro is really fast, and the boot camp software makes it very easy to install windows. This is definitely the fastest desktop computer I've ever had. Nice and quiet as well.