Roland Vpiano?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Re: Roland Vpiano?

Post by kensuguro »

well, there ya have it, $6k at B&H, arriving in May.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... _with.html

I think I'd rather get a used upright for that money.
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

kensuguro wrote:I think I'd rather get a used upright for that money.
+1
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

The price of the V-piano sure is a steep considering it is a modeled sound and at this price it is possible to buy a real piano which would be endlessly more enjoyable imho regardless of the portability issues.
Still it looks nice - something like a Rhodes style
dawman

Post by dawman »

We all seem to get by with what we feel sounds good in software or hardware.
I really don't want to bash any developer for trying, as if they stop trying, we might never get the quality emulation we seek.
As for the V Piano, no thanks again. I will need much more than a video of Scientists in white coats and pictures of wooden hammers to to spend 6 large.
I have decided to get back to a solution I used years ago live from an old company that has continued to excell with it's Piano pick-ups over the past few decades. I will use them in my home Piano for recordings as I tire of this endless chase which leaves me unsatisfied over, and over.
We really need a combination of samples and Physical Modelling to get it right, like GEM did years ago, with much less capable technology.

http://www.helpinstill.com/

These pick-ups are a great addition along w/traditional mic'ing and even though developers who sample use mic's, this is another option, one I prefer as I used them 30 years ago and the FOH engineer agreed they were a better option live. For recording I would also add a nice Ribbon for some M/S type experiments.
Until someone gets it right, I will use my 80 dollar Black Grand for gigs, and the below jpeg w/ Helpinstill pic ups for recording. If I need to record a Grand Piano I can simply take the pick ups out and drag my XITE-1 to wherever I need. These pick ups capture the vibrations off of the harp and when combined w/ a single decent mic it's far better than what is currently heard on these smooth jazz regurgitation recordings.
I used the Roadmaster 64 30 years ago. It was a real piano harp made especially to use with the weighted keybed, which folded into the case and was rolled off into a truck in seconds.
These guys should bring these back as they are a real Piano. I cry when I think of how I sold it.
braincell

Post by braincell »

A real piano will constantly go out of tune and can't be sequenced. It should be one of the more simple instruments to model eventually since it is so mechanical. It is basically like an old fashioned typewriter with strings; not a very lyrical instrument. You could say being a pianist is much like being an elevator operator. All you are doing is pushing buttons.

Yamaha had a synthesizer which modeled breath instruments which sold for $6,000. Today the same technology is sold for $400 as a sound module for their WX5 midi wind controller. The price will come down as it does for most technology, except for Sonic Core which wants to go in the opposite direction. That's like making a touchdown for the other team. Oops! DOH!
dawman

Post by dawman »

braincell wrote:A real piano will constantly go out of tune and can't be sequenced. It should be one of the more simple instruments to model eventually since it is so mechanical. It is basically like an old fashioned typewriter with strings; not a very lyrical instrument. You could say being a pianist is much like being an elevator operator. All you are doing is pushing buttons.

Yamaha had a synthesizer which modeled breath instruments which sold for $6,000. Today the same technology is sold for $400 as a sound module for their WX5 midi wind controller. The price will come down as it does for most technology, except for Sonic Core which wants to go in the opposite direction. That's like making a touchdown for the other team. Oops! DOH!

I couldn't agree more......V Piano in a rack 10 years from now for 500 USD is the way to go.
Real Pianos have lost their use......very true.......they can't be sequenced and bathed in reverb. Totally useless.
I have been practicing Piano lately on my QWERTY to get ready for the future gigs, and it works very well. They should have a shift key to apply dynamics though, and quantize features for the Caps Lock anyday..........I do wish to be prepared.
Last edited by dawman on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I'm sure with your technique any keyboard would do because dynamics are not very important to you.
dawman

Post by dawman »

A little something with your whine.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Jimmy performing in his beloved Vegas mansion:
Attachments
jimmy.jpg
jimmy.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

Excellent... :lol:

I never knew Corey Feldman got the part in the soon to be released Liberace Movie....
Looks Great. :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

i wish i could work as hard as liberace.
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

I wonder if you can do this with vpiano:
http://www.adern.com/saffi/TheSongwriter002.mp3

who said a real piano cant be sequenced??
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

wow. never heard anything like it before. kuddos!
braincell

Post by braincell »

Sounds beautiful. Outstanding! I still would like a v-piano though, just to practice on hehe.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I hear a harmon muted trumpet I think too......
I love the song writer... It's been Flexorized for sure.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I liked the other music too but not as much as much as the piano one. I am more into avant-garde classical and jazz now than electronic. Are the vocals in "Simple Shapes" the Vocaloid? You have so much gear. It was great to see your photos. You are a handsome man.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I feel a lot of love here :D :) :lol:

Greg

p.s. pianos CAN be sequenced nowadays by using loopers and audio quantization.
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
braincell

Post by braincell »

I don't trust audio quantizing. So far it does not work for me and looping is fine but I am getting away from any literal repetition. If I repeat, I play every note. The only way I would sequence a real piano is to record phrases and start the sample a beat before the bar or a half bar if needed, also with a nice tail at the end. This means the next part would be on an alternate track so as not to cut the tail off.
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

Braincell - the saffi site is ancient i just use it as a dump dir. the songwriter track is a more recent one.
its made from piano and my own vocals only - and yes heavily flexorized :P

regarding simple: shapes-not vocaloid : talk-it ;)

there is nothing like a real piano. i think the choice is not between a real piano an this
but between a sample-based piano and this...
in this case, i think it wins big-time if you have the $.
still were not quite there yet. still sounds vert synthetic to my ears.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

dude that tune is beautiful...