Playing DVD's in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround with Creamware c

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ashkenazy

Post by Ashkenazy »

I know now the problem is not my Scope, because today I installed a pulsar 2 in my computer. Exactly the same problems occured.
mgranger

Post by mgranger »

Did anyone ever get anywhere on this?

I am looking at using my PulsarII to output (coax or optical) to my digital surround amp.

This thread didn't really conclude!

Any ideas how it can be done?

Post by Guest »

may I suggest to use the version listed by kim

PowerDVD version 4, build 2417

this version may be the working version.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Look up your SFP folder for a project called multimedia, this should work with a surround receiver via the digital coax out.
Haven´t tried it yet, though.

By the way, has somebody a hint to a good but cheap surround receiver, please?
I want to produce a surround song, just to test the way to make one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2005-04-12 01:36 ]</font>
mgranger

Post by mgranger »

Odd behavior!!

I used the multimedia project which works - kind of!

I only get a signal to my surround amp when I am physically touching the case of my PC and the case of my surround amp. WTF

Any ideas?
martin granger
mgranger

Post by mgranger »

I have managed to get around this problem by connecting a spare output of the amp into the analog i/p of the PulsarII. Very odd.

Some more problems:

I can only seem to output dolby pro-logic.

The 'digital wave source' doesn't seem to send anything to the SP-DIF out. It's only the fact the the mixer output is connected to the i/p of the SP-DIF that I am getting pro-logic.

I am using TheaterTek 2.1 to play the DVD
martin granger
nprime

Post by nprime »

Just to clear up some terminology here...

In the case of a digital output from a DVD player...It is not a "SP/DIF" (stereo) signal being sent over the optical cable, it is an "AC3" (multi-channel) signal. Normally used to connect a dedicated DVD player to a receiver. You cannot send multi-channel audio over a SP/DIF coaxial cable, I don't think.

Can Scope deal with an AC3 signal? Not that I know of.

If you take the wave outs from powerDVD and assign them to 6 seperate output channels on your D/A, then send them as analog signals to the seperate appropriate intputs on the surround receiver.

That's the easiest way i can think of to do it, anyway.

R
christsuch

Re:

Post by christsuch »

nprime wrote:If you take the wave outs from powerDVD and assign them to 6 seperate output channels on your D/A, then send them as analog signals to the seperate appropriate intputs on the surround receiver.
But how can i do this?
What kind of inputdevices i have to use to get all 6 channels of PowerDVD?
siriusbliss

Re: Playing DVD's in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround with Creamware c

Post by siriusbliss »

Wow, a 4-year old thread rises again :D

With all this you still need a real-time decoder for the 5.1, so even something like AC3Filter won't work - unless you rip first, and then playback the individual files that way.

SPDIF will work, but you're still stuck with stereo differentiation of the 6 channels instead of true 6-channel playback.

With PowerDVD I think you're probably still getting a 'dual stereo' interpolation in the playback with no 'real' .1 sub/bass crossover if you were to use it with SFP SPDIF.

What I would do is buy a cheaper surround playback system that is really designed for gamers to use with PC's, and go that route, since they are cheap nowadays. PowerDVD works on my laptop just fine when plugged into a dedicated surround playback system.

I could be wrong, since it's been YEARS since I've tried this with SFP :lol:

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
christsuch

Post by christsuch »

siriusbliss wrote: Wow, a 4-year old thread rises again :D
It's still the only thread that comes near to my question.
But there is still no answer. :-(
siriusbliss wrote: With all this you still need a real-time decoder for the 5.1, so even something like AC3Filter won't work - unless you rip first, and then playback the individual files that way.
NO!
I do not need a decoder becase PowerDVD IS the decoder.
siriusbliss wrote: SPDIF will work, but you're still stuck with stereo differentiation of the 6 channels instead of true 6-channel playback.

With PowerDVD I think you're probably still getting a 'dual stereo' interpolation in the playback with no 'real' .1 sub/bass crossover if you were to use it with SFP SPDIF.
Why dou you thing i want use SPDIF?
Use the SPDIF for AC3 output is not a Problem.
siriusbliss wrote: What I would do is buy a cheaper surround playback system that is really designed for gamers to use with PC's, and go that route, since they are cheap nowadays. PowerDVD works on my laptop just fine when plugged into a dedicated surround playback system.

I could be wrong, since it's been YEARS since I've tried this with SFP :lol:
Maybe you would do this. But this was not the Question.

Excuse me, maybe I was a bit impolite, but answers like "use the onboard sound card" does not really help me (and also the others, i think). I have read this answer here often enough.

Is here nobody they use a Creamware to play the 5.1 from any DVD-Player Software?

Markus
christsuch

Post by christsuch »

unfortunatly PowerDVD can't use AISO or ASIO2.

For some reason it have very slow respons to the controls and don't start to play.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I don't believe that PowerDVD is a decoder.
Decoding is done in hardware that SPF is not setup for.
PowerDVD just plays back the decoded signal, which is why I gave up trying to do this with SFP and PowerDVD a long time ago :)

There may still be a way to trick SFP into seeing 6 mono, or 2 stereo/1 mono signals in real time, but you still need to 'break down' the encoded 5.1 signal, and I don't believe PowerDVD actively does this.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
christsuch

Post by christsuch »

ok, maybe i can't read, but i think the line "Dolby Digital (AC-3) Dekcoder: Yes"
means that i have one.

And with other Soundcards it is working. (unfortunatly are the routingposibilitys of the used motu 24IO very bad)
Attachments
PowerDVDconfig.jpg
PowerDVDconfig.jpg (22.93 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

christsuch wrote:And with other Soundcards it is working.
Yes, if the soundcard has the decoder chip, then PowerDVD will work.

If someone can find a way to trick SPF to decode encoded material as it gets streamed to the player, then that would be cool.

Greg