Computer stops responding

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

balaftuna

Post by balaftuna »

Neil B wrote::( :( :( :(
Guess what - after 4 hours in a hot room
Sorry to hear this.
1) Did you solve the IRQ conflict ?
2) Did you disable all unrequired services ?

cheers.
Shay.
Alho

Post by Alho »

Back from the holidays!

The capacitor is now re-soldered to the card, and I installed it again yesterday. On-board audio is disabled, the pulsar has an IRQ all for itself, and yet there was a crash after only about 15min of use... I'm clueless... except that I fear the card may be simply broken... :cry:

Neil B: Thanks for the welcome! I've actually had the pulsar for about five years now, and I've been reading the 'Z' now and then, but I only signed up now.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Neil B wrote::( :( :( :(
Guess what - after 4 hours in a hot room
Are you saying it is stable in a colder room? in that case the solution is obvious.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Well,
no problems since I got back off holiday and I've used it quite a lot so it's either okay now or I'm lucky at the moment. Used it for hours yesterday and today without any problem whatsoever.

H-Rave - it is possible to have a hot room in Stoke :) South facing, but yeah, I know what you mean............

I didn't mean that it only failed when the room was hot or the pc was hot after hours of use Piddi - I have 4 really good fans in the pc and it's by an often open door.

I'll keep you posted as to how it goes on as I'm playing with my new Garritan Orchestra package at the moment and it's keeping me interested for hours at a time.
Alho

Post by Alho »

A little update: since I was worried that my Pulsar may actually be broken, I re-built my system with the previous components, on which everything worked fine (except for the occasional "unexpected DSP overload" -message, but I had that always on that system and it always goes away when I just click 'Ok'). The result is that everything still worked perfectly on that system , so it seems that the Pulsar is not broken.

Now I'm back to the current system, and a little more testing shows that the crashes are frequent and occur even while just playing audio in winamp when the motherboard audio is enabled. This isn't too surprising since the on-board audio shares an IRQ with the pulsar.

With the motherboard audio disabled, the crashes become much less frequent, but it's still about once in 1,5h on average in Cubase, which is way too frequent for comfort. When the pulsar is not used, the system is rock solid.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try? I'm going to give it a try and re-install the os (Win XP), although I don't really see why would it help. If (when) that doesn't help, I can't really think of anything more except to try another motherboard, but since the DP965LT was actually recommended as a stable board with the creamware cards, I don't really know if that should help either, or what other motherboard to try.

The only thing really about my system that I haven't seen anyone else having here is the quad core processor, but that shouldn't be a problem, right? Does anyone have a working creamware system with a quad core?

H-Rave: how come your pulsar 2 seems to be having two IRQ's? Mine only uses one.
balaftuna

Post by balaftuna »

Alho. did you try to disable all Windows startup services?
cheers.
Shay.
Alho

Post by Alho »

Now I've tried disabling everything. I've also re-installed XP on an another partition in a multiboot configuration, trying to keep everything maximally clean on that install, only music stuff. No help, still crashes.

I'm basically out of ideas, and I guess I'm just going to try and buy another motherboard. Any suggestions on what board to try next?

Cheers,
Timo
balaftuna

Post by balaftuna »

most people recommend the mobo that you already have.. so maybe that's not the problem. i don't know why the installation of this card is such a hassle. i would definitely not recommend it to anybody.
Alho

Post by Alho »

Yes, I bought the DP965LT because it was recommended here. I know that it probably isn't the problem in itself, but switching motherboards simply has a very high probability of fixing whatever the problem is as a side-effect, since so many things change with the motherboard (a hardware version of shotgun debugging :P). Also, I did find someone having problems too with the P965 chipset on this thread.

I'm considering the Abit IP35, since that provides 3 PCI slots and firewire (which I need, since I have the possibility to borrow a Powercore FW for bigger projects). One thing that makes me a bit nervous about that is that it also has an intel chipset, so there's a slightly bigger chance of my problem recurring than if I went for some totally different chipset. Intel just seems to be highly recommended.

It's true that the Creamware cards can be a bit of a pain in the *ss occasionally, but on the other hand I've had the Pulsar II for five years with no serious problems and working perfectly most of the time, and I'm definitely willing to go through the trouble it takes to get it to work. As people here say, there just still is no other card that does what the scope series does, with comparable sound quality.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the 965 is fine.
it's possible that the specific motherboard may be faulty, although if it works when the room's not hot, then cooling would seem to be the issue...
galileo

Post by galileo »

Hi, friends! Greetings from Argentina.
I have a Pulsar 1, with soft updated to v4 because of the Windows XP, and my problem is the following:
Using Cakewalk Sonar, when i pick the Record box of any track, automatically my PC crash and reset, telling me when reboot that the system has recovered from a very serious problem.
Then, since i installed WXP and v4 soft, I CAN't RECORD anymore!
Can anyone help me, please?
My PC:
- Mother Intel D915G with video and audio (on or off, i have tried) abord.
- HD SATA 160 gb.
- 512 MB RAM.
- DVD recorder.

thanks a lot!
G.
garyb

Post by garyb »

unless you have hardware(memory, video card or motherboard) which is faulty, v4 and sonar work perfectly. maybe a reinstall of everything will help, if there are corrupted files in any of your apps or the os....

as the the "serious error" message, that's the standard message after a crash and reboot. ANY such error is a "serious" one.
galileo

Post by galileo »

Thanks for your quickly response, Garyb.
I have this problem since 2006, when i changed my motherboard, microprocessor, RAM and a HD sata. Before of this, with a Pentium 3, a mother Intel 865 and win98, it worked perfectly.
You can imagine i have tried a lot of possible solutions. The first, formating and reinstalling all.
I really don't know what to do, because i made of Pulsar my workstation since 2000. But now it is very uncomfortable, because i have to record to a minidisk and then going back from MD to pulsar to continue with my project.
I refuse to left pulsar, but i don't know what to do.
Any other suggestion?

big hug.
G.
from ARGENTINA...
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, it SHOULD work. i wish i could just say "do such and such" and everything would be fine. i don't know what would cause this error, but my guess is faulty hardware. it happens sometimes...i doubt it is directly related to scope. recording is really a sonar job, not a scope job. scope merely passes the audio to sonar, so if you have a crash enabling recording in sonar, it's likely sonar that is encountering the error in the process of storage...

which version of sonar are you running? do you have other programs running like antivirus?
galileo

Post by galileo »

at first, i had Sonar v2.0. When it crashed, i moved to Sonar v5.0 and the same happened.
I had running Norton antivirus, but now i have Panda.
Another prgs running: Microsoft office and some from Macromedia (Dreamweaver and Flash). Anyway, i tried before those installations, and didn't work..
Could it be the motherboard? Intel 915. Or XP. With win98 were so stable!
The problem is i can't get some pieces to make a PC running with 98.
But i think there are lot of guys using pulsar + XP.
Or maybe my SATA HD + one PCI HD.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's not any of those things. the antivirus can make it crash, try disabling it. antivirus has nothing to do with a DAW.... :)

the 915 chipset is perhaps not the best choice, but i know it will work. i've used sonar 5 many times and scope and xp are very happy together, i've literally done hundreds of installs.... this is not a scope problem......

...unless...go to start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information/hardware resources/conflicts-sharing and tell me if the scope card is there and if so, what it's sharing with...
galileo

Post by galileo »

ok garyb, i have this:

Puerto E/S 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Bus PCI
Puerto E/S 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Controladora de acceso directo a memoria

IRQ 11 Controladora de vídeo (compatible VGA)
IRQ 11 Controladora Ethernet

Puerto E/S 0x00000400-0x0000047F Recursos de la placa base
Puerto E/S 0x00000400-0x0000047F Recursos de la placa base

IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C

IRQ 16 Intel(R) 915G/P/GV PCI Express Root Port - 2581
IRQ 16 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2662
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B

IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2664
IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A

IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2666
IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659
IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651

Dirección de memoria 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Bus PCI
Dirección de memoria 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VgaSave

Puerto E/S 0x00000500-0x0000053F Recursos de la placa base
Puerto E/S 0x00000500-0x0000053F Recursos de la placa base
galileo

Post by galileo »

In addition, the IRQs:

IRQ 0 Cronómetro del sistema OK
IRQ 1 Teclado estándar de 101/102 teclas o Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 4 Puerto de comunicaciones (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Controlador estándar de disquetes OK
IRQ 8 Sistema CMOS/reloj en tiempo real OK
IRQ 9 Sistema Microsoft compatible con ACPI OK
IRQ 10 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM SMBus Controller - 266A OK
IRQ 11 Controladora de vídeo (compatible VGA) OK
IRQ 11 Controladora Ethernet OK
IRQ 13 Procesador de datos numéricos OK
IRQ 14 Canal IDE principal OK
IRQ 15 Canal IDE secundario OK
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 915G/P/GV PCI Express Root Port - 2581 OK
IRQ 16 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio OK
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2662 OK
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B OK
IRQ 17 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660 OK
IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2664 OK
IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A OK
IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2666 OK
IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659 OK
IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651 OK
IRQ 21 Creamware Pulsar OK
IRQ 22 NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Familia RTL8139 de Realtek OK
IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658 OK
IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C OK
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, assuming that the software is installed correctly, you have a hardware issue. i'd guess motherboard, but it may be ram or video.......

did you try disabling antivirus?
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit »

So my question is do the lower numbered IRQ's get priority over the higher ones or do they all get the same ?
Last edited by Mr-Bit on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.