flexor 3 hardware mini-modular

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mr. prawn

flexor 3 hardware mini-modular

Post by mr. prawn »

imagine a nord micro-modular style box w/ flexor modules and sharcs! would that not be the coolest thing ever? in a nice little silver/chrome box, maybe looking something like this, or this - with some real time knobs and a little display for presets, with the same interface we have for the cw modular (maybe a bit prettier, though the flexor modules are already quite pretty..>). some nice balanced outs and maybe digital i/o, midi and usb connection so we can upload modules people have made w/ the sdk...am i the only person who lusts for this? i suppose for the scope people it wouldnt be that attractive, since we already have flexor (though it would be nice to use in the loungeroom/in bed w/ your laptop, right?). still for the vst people it would be gold, if it could integrate into their beloved hosts, but w/ kickass sound quality and no tax on the cpu, i think theres a market for that.
whose with me?
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Yep, it could be a real (dangerous) contender to Clavia Nord Modular! 8)
The Nord Modular has, i.e., a good control interface... :roll:
The best (but actually a "little" expensive) solution for the interface is a multi touch screen as Lemur... imagine an infinite multi page and customizable controller!!!
Maybe a joint venture with Jazz Mutant & Sonic Core to realize an upgradable product that allow an independant (standalone, with patch build software) sound engine and a basic controller (as Nord Modular) form Sonic Core, and a dedicated pro-controller from Jazz Mutant that allow to control and build all from touche screen!!! :o

Wow! A best seller dream machine!!!
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Something low cost but stunningly powerful like the micro modular would be my preference. I really don't think that a touch screen user interface is any good for modular users & especially patch builders. The interface wouldn't be large enough to view an average size modular patch without LOTS of scrolling caused by having to make all controls & sockets fingertip size or at least a size coundusive to the whole touchscreen concept & spec. Sorry, but I think touch screen for a hardware modular project would be suicide.

that's just my 2 cents..
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hard to say what a Scope Dream-Machine would be, but I agree that the Solaris hardware synth will be a serious contender there! The best synth for Scope realised in new dsp hardware & software can't be bad!!!!! If it eventually supports 3rd party modules, I'd think that would be just an incredible bonus.

About the Scope modular hardware with touch screen... yeS, please send me a 40 inch flat screen with built in Scope system. You are growing weary, you are growing even more weary, you feel tired, you feel very tired, you are slipping away into.... mmmmmmmmm ... now listen carefully.. Shroomz doesn't have to pay a penny for his new 40 inch flat screen Scope gear ... :lol: :D :wink:
astroman

Post by astroman »

Shroomz II wrote:Something low cost but stunningly powerful like the micro modular would be my preference. ...
yeah, the little red s*cker drives me nuts... I always wanted one, but instead of getting cheaper eBay prices are on the rise - constantly :o :D
I like the idea of the stored performances. The # of knobs is humble, but then it keeps things simple and tidy

cheers, Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

Have no fear,..hardware Solaris is near.
John Bowen will be busy for years upgrading that FAT BASTARD.

If those gravellers that I encounter on the other forums think I rub it in now,
They will surely grow to despise me when my Olive tinted Redwood sided warrioir enters the battle.

I would love to see a hardware style interface called RD MODULES IV and FLEXOR IV.

And I do enjoy the ideas above. I actually believe that JB has started me in the right direction. I bought all of these cards and DAW's to quit hauling around hardware, just so I could return to an all hardware rig in my golden years.
the19thbear

ok

Post by the19thbear »

what about real knobs with little lcd screens below them with the "parameter" text in it. you could assign your modluar thing to different controllers, and with a "shift" key, you could turn all the knobs to control another set of controllers. Like a box with 16 real sliders, but with 2 or more layers. and below each slider: a a small lcd textbox. and a big lcd screen with a picture of the module and its knobs, which you are currently controlling.

just my ½ cent.
erminardi

Re: ok

Post by erminardi »

the19thbear wrote:what about real knobs with little lcd screens below them with the "parameter" text in it. you could assign your modluar thing to different controllers, and with a "shift" key, you could turn all the knobs to control another set of controllers. Like a box with 16 real sliders, but with 2 or more layers. and below each slider: a a small lcd textbox. and a big lcd screen with a picture of the module and its knobs, which you are currently controlling.

just my ½ cent.
A good compromise ;)
I suggest a 64 knobs/lcd x 2 realtime switchable banks or 32 knobs/lcd x 4 banks...
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

if i only had the money i would build it myself...

i have had so many ides.. i remember on day thinking: I would like to build a oc scratch device... have a vinyl with a time code on it, and the plug the audio out to the computer and let it read it, then load a sample on the computer and be able to sctrach away!!!

and i saw it in store 2 years later.... :-?
the same thing with the korg ms 20 software/hardware modular idea.. have real knobs and even cables, but controlling software with it..
saw it in the store 2 years later.. etc etc..
and i ahve thougth about controlling synths with scopes audio out, amplifying it 100x times and use it a s a cv source years ago..
and i have some other ideas that i will probably see soon..
im basically whining and saying: give me money to make things happen!

sorry for my rambling, and i dotn mean to seem selfish or give the impression that "i'm amazing! yes! me! me!" but im simply whining :)
this scope modular synth is a good idea from you guys as well!! nice to see creative thinking people on here!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

astroman wrote:yeah, the little red s*cker drives me nuts... I always wanted one, but instead of getting cheaper eBay prices are on the rise - constantly :o
I haven't been watching their value, but I can imagine why they'd still be really popular. The best value for money 2nd hand is probably an original nord modular KB. The basic model which you'll find for less than twice the price of a micro is like 4 micro modulars in one in the form of 4 slots, but you also get much more... the control interface is incredibly simple, but well designed (imagine a custom hardware implementation of the Mod3 MRC as being quite close), the LCD for accessing the presets, slot & global parameters etc, the handy little keyboard. You're getting a lot for 450-500 euro !! The expansion for the KB model doubles the number of DSPs & basically doubles the polyphony of the 4-slot architecture.

Anyway, sorry for waffling ! :D
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The easiest way would be to have a hardware MRC version with its 16 knobs (each with its own textdisplay).

Hardware wisingly, it could be achieve with the same elements as the one used for the SOLARIS: 2x40 LCD display + 4 infinite encoder knobs duplicated 4 times would bring an hardware controller for a scope system.

This device could be dedicated to Modular III patch tuning while waiting for an expansion board to bring the DSP inside the box (could be something like the ASX module).

In fact the GUI of the Nord Modular G2 just provide 4 set of 2 encoders + 1 2x16 LCD display...

Otherwise, it should be possible to achieve such a result with normal midi controller by assigning midi CC to the 16 parameter of your choice...
Personnaly I would do it with my lovely BCR-2000 which just lack the text display for such purpose but offer enough infinite rotary encoders (let's say 32 physical one of which 8 can be swapped for 4 variations).

A mackie control C4 has the displays on it but is much more expensive and I do not either how to achieve LCD information from a scope system.

The novation remote SL series also have the displays for a fraction of the price but with some less smart knob and always the question about sending text display from scope.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Shroomz II wrote:..., but I can imagine why they'd still be really popular. The best value for money 2nd hand is probably an original nord modular KB. ...
that's correct, but I could tack the Micro to my belt and play it with the Casio Digital Sax - even route the synth audio to the fake horn's internal speaker :D :lol:

cheers, Tom
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

LOL :D
mr. prawn

Post by mr. prawn »

well its been a while since ive posted as ive been a bit slack with the music-making and whatnot. but now seeing this new 'plugiator' device i figure this thread might be somewhat relevant. i mean this box is essentially what i was thinking about, except of course it doesnt run mod3/flexor...and it could use a nice lcd screen a la waldorf's blofeld. but otherwise, thats it! and its cheap too (as is the blofeld) so its surely possible to make such a machine at quite a low cost.
anyway, i think the 'plugiator' is somewhat misguided - the plugs are way too old by now, and just as importantly (from a marketing pov) they look old - those gui's need a facelift if theyre going to attract the vst crowd.
i intend to buy the blofeld soon and i think it will be quite a success for waldorf. it looks great and judging by the demos/videos it will also sound great - walforf did a good job marketing this little machine. i think its possible for another german company to do something similiar with scope technology. what you say?
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, the plugs will also be hosted by rather competitive chinese keyboards - and the 'classic' synth line will hardly ever be 'outdated'. ;)
Just have a look at the prices of Roland and EMU extension boards - there is a market indeed.

I wouldn't consider the VST crowd (as you call it) a true market, though - most of the stuff is pirated anyway and only a minority will take it's DAW setup on stage.

the problem about your original suggestion - to put a Modular in a box - is the highly dynamic nature of the synth structure as it has been explained a couple of years ago.
More or less it can only be 'boxed' by putting a full Scope system in a rack.
And according to Scope4Live's experience this isn't a big deal... technically speaking... ;)

cheers, Tom
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

What about a Muse Research Receptor, that would eat a Scope Pro card and run SCP 5.0...
Terrac

Post by Terrac »

<Shroomz> wrote:Hard to say what a Scope Dream-Machine would be,
some suggestions....

how about a card with faster SHARC DSPs? 66mhz? c'mon

how about an external version of the card in an expansion chassis with PCI express, PCI, Firewire, or Cardbus interfaces so you could run it from a laptop, dektop, or OLPC (haha).

how about some dedicated memory on the card for plugins / sampling Ale' Capybara?

how about OS X support for their card?

how about some new atoms for the SDK (granular?)

and how about an advertising campaign and some US representation to sell more units, get a larger market share, and eventually have a more solid platform.

k. I am finished.

Terrac
-terrac, It's whats for dinner
Minister of tiny plastic robots
CloudFactory
astroman

Post by astroman »

Terrac wrote:...how about a card with faster SHARC DSPs? 66mhz? c'mon ...
well, my apologies in advance to re-quote an old statement by myself, but ...

I once had to do a network documentation and for simplicity (production department on Macs and the administration on Windows) I choose Word with it's integrated drawing app from Office-97 on a 1GHZ, 512MB Pentium 3.
I should have known better...
On a 33MHZ Mac with just 32 MB of Ram I would have finished that job in about 25% of the time or even less.

this is not a joke and I'm not fooling you either - it's been several years, but you probably understand that this 'adventure' is burned into my non-erasable part of personal memory.
It wasn't a sophisticated technical drawing, just a scan of a floorplan and a few lines and symbols on top - I really didn't expect the logarithmic decrease of performance with progressing work :-? :o :P

it's in the code, not in the clock

cheers, Tom
ps: SC will use faster chips in whatever comes after Solaris hardware... ;)
dawman

Post by dawman »

New hardware is something I look forward to. I could build Scope4live Jr. a little DAW, and I get the new stuff. :D :wink:
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The core DSP processor(s) of our scope card (and of the former NOAH), the ADSP 21065L KS240 running at 60 Mhz (analog devices 25$ budgetary price) seem to be still in production.
But it is the last element of thi serie which is still available.

I suspect that the core DSP of all the more recent hardware devices, ASB/klanbox and the new use-audio design ASX board and plugiator to be powered by an ADSP-21363KBCZ-1AA (analog devices under 20$ budgetary price) running at 160 MHz if I remember well.

Two of these last chips were able to run a 12-notes polyphony MINIMAX or PRO12 just like what was possible with a 10 old DSP NOAH Ex.

So this first step should prove that the progression can be evaluated by a factor 5 between these two creamware product genreations.

I guess new product like John Bowen SOLARIS and next generation SonicCore hardware would be powered by some even more powerfull DSP.

So we can hope for an even more powerfull platform as long as we can keep all we have now with some new extras