Best Way to Install 2 Cards

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

soundz

Best Way to Install 2 Cards

Post by soundz »

Hi, I just picked up a used Pulsar II card, so now I have one Pulsar II and one Pulsar I. I have a few questions about best way to install. I am going to be reinstalling Windoze XP and SFP 4. My questions:

1) What is the best order to install the cards and software? Plug in both cards, install OS, install SFP 4? Plug in Pulsar II 1st, install OS, SFP 4, then plug in Pulsar I card?

2) Should I put the Pulsar II card closest to the video card? Does it matter?

3) When is the best time to plug in the STDM cable?

4) Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Jimmy
alfonso

Re: Best Way to Install 2 Cards

Post by alfonso »

soundz wrote:Hi, I just picked up a used Pulsar II card, so now I have one Pulsar II and one Pulsar I. I have a few questions about best way to install. I am going to be reinstalling Windoze XP and SFP 4. My questions:

1) What is the best order to install the cards and software? Plug in both cards, install OS, install SFP 4? Plug in Pulsar II 1st, install OS, SFP 4, then plug in Pulsar I card?

2) Should I put the Pulsar II card closest to the video card? Does it matter?

3) When is the best time to plug in the STDM cable?

4) Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks,

Jimmy
First of all you don't need a full reinstall to add a card, if that's the only reason.

1) It's not very relevant, I've always put my cards in and then started with OS installation.

2) Often the card closest to the video card is the first recognized so is better to have the P2 in that place and the P1 more distant, but it might also be the opposite, I don't really know how do all the Mobos work.

3) Immediatly as you physically install the cards.

4) When you add or remove cards with OS and Scope already installed is good to disable the startup project so the system boots without calling for drivers before you have them installed or uninstalled, and it's good to uninstall the drivers before you remove the corresponding card to have a clean registry.

:)
soundz

Post by soundz »

Great advice. Thanks!
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

You're welcome :)

few more:

If you have two cards and you have the STDM cables with 3 connectors use the 2 extreme ones, leaving the mid one unused.

connecting a P1 to a P2 can be a little cumbersome as you will have to twist the cable a little because the connectors on the cards are not aligned.

:)