latency

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mich

Post by Mich »

I have a pulsar 2 plus (6dsp) and i wonder if 7ms latency is the max i can get with this configuration. When i try 4 or 3 ms i get pops en clicks in my audio. I read an article where a guy got 4ms on a p][ 450. I have a 9gb AV scsi 160 disk and adaptec 160 controller, so that should be fine. My system is a p ]I[ 500mhz, 256 ram, 18gb ide ,9 av scsi for audio etc... My old souncard could do 10ms, and had no DSP i'm sure pulsar can do better ?!

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: latency

it depnds a bit in your system, als in the processor power, in an atlhon 750 l couldn´t get 4 ms (only 7) but with a thunderbbird 900 l can get 4 ms (44.1 khz), but there is a price, you get less perfomance with the sof synths, i.e. they eat more cpu that they did at 7 ms, so with my fastest systme l get the same around the same perfomance that with the old one, anyway 4ms makes a big diference when playing bass lines so l will simply upgrade my micro really soon to get more horsepower :), ´.t.w, l am using a powersampler, not a pulsar but l bet there is no diference.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: latency

Ive been asking the same thing before but never got any answer... I have a P2 450 running Pulsar sw 2.01, and I can just use 7 ms latency setting with my Pulsar2. Can anyone use lower setting with good results, no clicks and pops? (My entire system gets unstable, and cubase even freezes sometime with 3 ms setting). I read something somewhere that 2.04 might handle lower latencies better, can anyone confirm?
Mich

Post by Mich »

Subject: latency ;(

The manual of the 2.01 software says;
If have a pulsar 1 (4dsp) you can only use the two highest settings..." I figured that maybe if you buy an SRB card you can use the two highest settings, but i think it's really strange that you CANNOT use 3ms latency on a 6dsp chip card...anyone have any information on this subject ??

help us out,
M

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: latency ;(

lower latencies are possible with the new cards (pulsarII,
P.sampler etc.) because of a new pci bus interface, not related with dsp's.
cheers. alfonso