Pulsar 1 and XTC?? I'm new and use Cubase...

Have Scope hardware to sell or trade? NO DEALER POSTING ALLOWED.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mikehbeck

Post by mikehbeck »

Greetings,

I'm new, and I'm considering purchasing pulsar 1 off someone whose made me an offer. However, I already have a fairly decent sound card for my needs, and really want it for the DSP power to include non-native virtual instruments in Cubase VST, which I am very fond of. I'm starting to get wind though that this may not all work out the way I want...

I plan on getting a UAD-1 for effects, and wanted to get the pulsar for instruments (synths and sampling), but I'm wondering if this is going to work? I was under the impression that all pulsar 1 instruments and effects would automatically be available in Cubase VST, like they will be with UAD-1. I'm now starting to hear only specific effects are XTC/VST compatible, and that XTC might not actually work in VST anyway with Pulsar 1!

Now, I do have Propellerhead's Reason as well, and don't mind using Rewire to get it all connected. I don't have to use the VST standard, but I do like to do my mixing in Cubase. Not knowing much about how pulsar 1 works (and is the only difference between 1 and 2 the number of DSPs?), is there another way to use the instruments in Cubase if XTC doesn't work? Please help...

My setup:
Asus A7m266 > AMD Athlon 1.4 ghz > 512 MB DDR RAM > ATI Radeon VIVO > Audiophile 24/96 > Dual 7200 HD's > Cubase VST 5.1
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Actually, everything running on the CreamWare cards are available to Cubase through the ASIO channels. Used this way, you can think of the Pulsar as an external effect box/synth/sampler with a very low latency.

On the other hand, you can use the XTC mode and use the Pulsar's effects as a VST plug-in. This makes the use of Pulsar effects slightly easier since you don't have to deal with the additional routing but, it comes with a penalty in latency.

Since you mention that you can use ReWire, I am certain that you'll be able to master ASIO and the Pulsar OS routing in no time. This way, you get the most flexibility and the least latency.

As for the differences between the Pulsar and Pulsar 2, the Pulsar 2 has two more DSP and a much better latency.

I hope this helps...

RedSun .:.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

If you confined yourself to just posting your question ONCE you would also find my answer here. Instead it's in general discussion.
:roll: