Which are your preferred movies ever?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

borg

Post by borg »

hijack
hi fellow pulsarians, yes, long time no see for a lot of you. a lot of work (mainly lighting and video for a theatre), a lot of playing with Live on a powerbook only, changing houses, renovating, wife with two kids attached (btw, might introduce you to rosa in the future. 14 springs old, she plays the piano, likes melodic electronica like hab and early autechre. we should start doing music together once i divided my gear over two places...).
this means that i only just started using scope again after a few years of collecting dust... great! i also banned internet from my home to focus more on creative stuff rather than spend countless hours on the web. so i only browse about after work and at my gf's place when she's not at home.
so, glad to be 'back' on a more involved basis
hijack off

anyone has seen 'titus'? can't remember director (a woman), but it is with anthony hopkins. was very impressed when i first saw it. saw it again a few months ago, and was a bit disappointed (fell asleep), but that first view... wow!

i have seen LOTR a few times now, and although i really like it, there's quite some little things that, don't really annoy me, but still make me frown... gotta love Liv and Kate though :D btw, in the extended version there's this scene where one of Sauron's sidekicks appears at the gates of doom... very cool! should have been in the original theatre version imo.

anyone saw full length bruce bickford stuff? i only know him from his frank zappa collaboration, but his stuff is mind-boggling. (clay animation).
looking very much forward to zappa's roxy DVD... for eighty seven years now :wink: :D
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Michu

Post by Michu »

you mean Titus Andronicus?
thats Shakespeare ;)
yea, it was pretty heavy

clay animaton in baby snakes was wicked
but the best were interviews with that dude, he was so totally stoned :)

umm, Cate Blanchett, yesss 8)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

borg wrote: i have seen LOTR a few times now, and although i really like it, there's quite some little things that, don't really annoy me, but still make me frown...
Good as those movies were, they did change quite a few things that could easily have been left alone. The relationship between Rohan & Gondor for example.

But for me the books are so superb that anything that deviates at all from them would always be disappointing.
petal

Post by petal »

borg wrote: i have seen LOTR a few times now, and although i really like it, there's quite some little things that, don't really annoy me, but still make me frown...
You meen like the hobbits being too childish and melodramatic?
hubird

Post by hubird »

Ah, I'm not the only one who feels irritated by those stereotypes and overly 'humanised' and moralised characters.
Not my kind of movie it is.
Michu

Post by Michu »

or skateboarding elves, or making clowns out of dwarves...
hubird

Post by hubird »

indeed, or a murdering elve, a happy f*cking horny dwarf, etc. :-D
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

Alien 1 ...yep
everything I've seen from studio ghibli... OH YEAH
Duel
LOTR....good as the books
Johny Mnemonic ...good as the short story in burning chrome or something by William Gibson..you guys can read can't you :roll:
you have read all of Gibson and all of Iain M. Banks haven't you ...If not , WHY NOT
...matrix was good but it didn't really get hold of gibsons concepts I dont think , although it was a good hollywood try
I really liked lock stock and 2 smoking barrels but I saw that guy "the hero" on a reality show going fishing in siberia or somewhere and he was such a whingeing whining c...t that it's quite put me off .
Siam Sunset ...you gotta see this one it's quite bent ,not quite as bent as fear and loathing which I loved, but bent nonetheless .
Everything by Jaque Tati
Now I just cant see myself ever buying a movie on dvd but something I cant recommend strongly enough, and I did buy it, is the Biggest Bang dvd by the stones ....it is fucking SENSATIONAL ...I'm actually seeing/hearing it as an important blues document :o God help me
borg

Post by borg »

@ petal: you could say that, but i meant more things like too obvious blue key action, aragorn is totally unconvincing to me, when frodo is hunted down on foot by the most fearsome riders of the universe, and for minutes they just can't catch up with him before he jumps on the pont. same with Liv Tyler when she's riding frodo to rivendel... lots more, but having read the books twice, i was surprised that they have done such a good job at it. like i said, it's a great movie trilogy, but LOTR being such a milestone in literature, they should have made that extra bit of effort at times...

@ michu: yes titus andronicus... those costumes and other anachronistics are just great, fellini-like stages...

how do people here feel about 'eraserhead' btw? some of my cinephile friends think it's fantastic, a milestone. i myself would call it a 'fart in a bottle' as they say here. unbearable to me
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
BingoTheClowno

Post by BingoTheClowno »

I don't believe, judging most responses, that many would dig it.
I was impressed with his "Twin Peaks, Firewalk with me".

BTW, those who mentioned Brazil as the fav movie, what version was it, the nice ending one?
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I think the LOTR could simply not be made in a better way, there are limits… and the limits there have been reached by time.
I cannot dissociate the plot from the movie itself, I mean, for me a good movie it is first of all, a good plot, otherwise I don’t even care about it. So what most got my attention about the LOTR was its deep meaning, well beyond special effects or something.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

Time to think.............
The Innocents 60's friggin scary
Easy Rider acid/toot paranoia
Clockwork Orange even scarier
Being John Malkovich sooo bent
Tristram Shandy cool in a brit cynical way

most films with Jack Nicholson in and likewise for Clint Eastwood

Cosi Fan Tutti ... aussie film about a lunatic asylum that gets the inmates to do a play and they decide to do the Mozart opera

Spotswood ...an early aussie Russel Crow film ,as usual he's a prick ...also Anthony Hopkins he's not a prick

The Worlds Fastest Indian ....motorcycle film about a mad Kiwi Another Anthony Hopkins
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

A few good modern films:

Memento
Trainspotting
Swimming with Sharks
Short Cuts
Leon
Bad Leiutenant

Favourite Coen Brothers movies:

Millers Crossing (I reckon this is the best gangster film ever)
The Hudsucker Proxy

Flawed but still good movies:

The Warriors
Sin City
Gangs of New York (as a historical document and for Daniel Day Lewis.. the plot is forgettable)
Bad Boy Bubby (possibly the craziest movie I've ever seen.. very disturbing but an incredible experience)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

BingoTheClowno wrote:I don't believe, judging most responses, that many would dig it.
I was impressed with his "Twin Peaks, Firewalk with me".

BTW, those who mentioned Brazil as the fav movie, what version was it, the nice ending one?
i think that only existed in the US market - apparently you Yanks can't take a cynical end (see also Blade Runner). Of course it makes a complete farce of the whole movie to change the end. Here in the UK we've only ever known the correct version.

As it happens Fire Walk with Me is a fave movie of mine - i almost didn't see it because of the universal panning it got on release. i learnt from this film never to listen to critics again (see also Eyes Wide Shut). i have heard there is much more footage which would flesh out Bowie's character for instance - i would love to see a longer director's cut of this.
petal

Post by petal »

I actually did enjoy watching LOTR but it didn't move me at all like fx "The Straight Story" by David Lynch. What a beautyful movie that is in every possible way :)
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Blade Runner
Lord of the Rings trilogy
garyb

Post by garyb »

lots of good movies(including LOTR), but LOTR as the favorite of all time? really?

over
Casablanca? over Zardoz?
over The Conversation?
over Catch 22?
over 2001?
over The Jungle Book? :lol: :P
over Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein?
over The President's Analyst?
over Seven Samurai?(or any Toshiro Mifune movie)
over My Name is Nobody or They Call Me Trinity?
over High Plains Drifter?
over The African Queen?
over Playing in the Feilds of the Lord?
over Eraserhead? (yuck)
over Shaolin Soccer or Kung Fu Hustle?!!!
over Tati?
over 8 1/2?
over Akira?
over Enter the Dragon?
over Simon?
over What's up Doc?
over Solaris?

so many good movies..........
entertainment sure is entertaining....
hubird

Post by hubird »

entertainment? don't say so :-D
Nestor wrote: So what most got my attention about the LOTR was its deep meaning, well beyond special effects or something.
Michu

Post by Michu »

garyb wrote:over Zardoz?
now that is a strong contender for the best film ever :D

really, there are 2 Peter Jackson films i'd rate over LOTR ;)

@darkrezin - miller's crossing, yea
- hudsucker proxy - a total capra homage
- o brother - hell, george clooney singing is one reason to like the film and there is so much more :)
- big lebowski - the best introduction of female character ever (julianne moore)
- fargo - mind blowing
- barton fink - john goodman
garyb

Post by garyb »

yep, more good ones!