Anyone Practicing?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Anyone Practicing?

Post by dawman »

I am declining some fine trim to play my synths today, who else is as sick as I?
Granted, the beautiful little Russian Hussie would cost 750 USD, and I could keep the suite. I chose to let my fingers smoke, instead of my balls smokin'.

Surely there are more of us out there today, please speak out, or am I just getting old and cheap?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

well jimmy, I wouldn't call my practicing a "fine tuning" of any sort, but it's coming along quite well. No real flaming chops quite yet, but the keys are starting to feel "right" on my fingers, and I'm beginning to feel a comfortable momentum as I play. Really basic, but I'm glad to take the time to just practice, to improve technique, not to compose. And it's a slow, slow process for me, but the small improvements here and there are rewarding. So someday, I'd be able to do some live performances!

synth playing over a russian eh.. I guess you can be thankful you had the luxury of making that choice.
synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 »

Who else wants to party with Jimmy?

I took the day practicing, but mostly guitar. I put together a NIN-style industrial instrumental demo, unless you count the verse where I screamed myself hoarse through a distortion pedal. The director loved it, and so did I if I may say so. I used Minimax on bass and mostly guitar, Andromeda and Super Jupiter for the rest. Fun fun.

If the gig pays anything I'll be exploring the nasty side of Solaris.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am glad to see the warrior spirit still exists.

I have been making some great stuff in modular, but I also get to practice my Debussey songs, that beg to played by synthesizers. I wonder if ol' Claude dreamed of different sounds other than symphonic, or piano. He was a very opened minded composer also, his Suite Childrens Corner had a great peice for piano named Golliwogs Cakewalk. It was written on , and for piano, but a fellow conductor asked to try it as a symphonic score, reluctantly he agreed, and when he heard the peice, he liked it more than the piano. Rarely such prominent artists change positions, especially on their own compositions.

BTW Kensuguro, the practicing always pays off, always. In my case the Hussie called with a much lower rate, so I reserved her for Memorial weelend. She has the largest breasts I have ever seen, so I was compelled to accept. I will be guilty as it is now reduced to 500 USD, and I could buy more toys. But I live by the Viking motto of Wine ,Women , and Song. I have my fiancee's blessing, and shall live by my creed. It's great to have an understanding woman. But I'm sure she also has a couple of Steeds in her stall as well.

Wine, Women, and Scope 4 All !!!!
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

Nearly got to the end the end of "accelerate your keyboard playing " by Dave Limina ....only the old rock piano a la Jerry Lee and some latin stuff to go and then finishing off with the first 4 hanon exercises ,I think I made a mistake before by trying to push thru hanon too fast. Still incorporating Tony Smiths mind blowing thumb technique from "advanced bass grooves " ....still noodling on the strat . trying hard to keep going on the drum pads and the dm5 but even tho I was warned about the dangers of playing keyboards and getting totally sucked in yet again, those giga pianos keep taking up all the time . Far too old to want to renew my aquaintence with working girls :cry: and anyway dont believe in paying for it ,I always thought they should pay me for letting them know how life could be :wink: $500 U.S. get the gear Jimmy get the gear :roll:
Grandad
Wired

jimmy

Post by Wired »

jimmy, since you play alot of fusion, where do you go for your chart sources, ...i was wondering if you have a site you frequent for jazz or fusion
Hysteric

Post by Hysteric »

I'm having a go at Robert Johnson (again) at the moment, slow going for a guy with no left thumb movement. Having fun though. :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

A Shitload Of Jammers,....Great.

The Russian babe promised to demonstrate many interesting gymnastic moves 4 me, so it's my reward, and my dog needs to be walked. A week off of gear buying won't kill me anyway.

I am glad to hear about the books and vid's you are using. The Hanon book is the only one of it's kind, and will give you so much power and finess simultaneously. Czerny, is a great follow up to that also.

I have no place for charts, just my ears. I have seen some charts, and they really suck. Especially when they leave out the solos, and just write shitty guitar chord charts !!?? I think I can hear the chord changes, let me see , E, then A, then E, then B,...Jesus. I did see some great charts years back but cannot find them. Is there a certain song you are looking for. Maybe I could have it stashed in my QX-1 files somewhere. These sequences are so old, they are on 5 1/4 " diskettes, as they were then called. Let me know, as any fellow fusion enthusiast is a brotha' of mine. I got into this stuff long ago, and it is still a big part of me.

Are you speaking of the Robert Johnson Blues Guitarist From Mississippi Hysteric? That's the real deal in Blues there. I have his collection of slide and pick works. He can be heard in songs still recorded today. Hell B B King made him popular. He also live in Vegas Too.

Chop, Chop, Amigos !!!
hubird

Post by hubird »

scope4live wrote:Are you speaking of the Robert Johnson Blues Guitarist From Mississippi Hysteric? That's the real deal in Blues there. I have his collection of slide and pick works. He can be heard in songs still recorded today. Hell B B King made him popular. He also live in Vegas Too.
BB King was it? Are you sure?
For me it were the Rolling Stones with 'love in vane' who made my light (later that is), and 'Steady rollong man' by Eric Clapton.
Robert Johnson is killing, still...

Imagine, I didn't know a shit about the roots of the Stones and sixties rock in general, back in those days, in my student time I learned all that backwards.
I was a European white (blue actually) puber in a small town who thought it was all new...well, it wasn't :-D

I got a culture shock when I heard for the first time 'The little red rooster' in the version of Howlin Wolf, somewhere in the seventies.
Which on it's turn was a cover of Silas Hogan's original hit in the black charts in 1957...
Robert Johnson, Jimmy Reed, JJ Cale...stoned music.

I had to rewrite my own (musical) history, in the same way as I later had to discover the roots of Reggea and Ska music when I learned to know the old Wailers and Skatalites etc. records from the early sixties.
Even Euro song festival winner 'My boy Lollypop' and Desmond Dekker's 'The Israelites' had to be re-interpreted.

Yet I love electronic music...
At least the swing time feeling of a lot of electronic dance fits my love for that 6 over 4 feeling.
Burning Spear (unforgivable killing deep roots reggea) may regret the 'Slavery Days', it brought us at least 80 years of musical history streight from black Africa with it's unic rhitmic feeling, dance actually.

I once had a talk with a collegue after work in a bar annex small music hall with life music activities.
A 2 meter tall big black Amarican Jazz musicion was drinking a beer at the bar, after his gig, with his back to us.
That collegue asked me how I was able to combine my old music taste, the black blues, with my new love for electronic dance, there were great regular dance parties then overthere which I was promoting to my old fashioned collegues all the time.

I i.a. told about the Aces band, the regular conduction band of Freddy King (if I'm right), specialized in ultra tight shuffling timing.
I ended up saying, 'blues IS dance man!
That big black guy in front of us, with all his educated skills , who obviously had got the essence of the conversation, turned around to me, and without saying anything, he gave me the five, obviously with all his respect.
Man what was I proud to have said just the right thing at the right time :-D

And it's true as hell, blues is at the base of pop music, sexy music for the body. Electronic dance brought that aspect back to us, where highly sofisticated Fusion and Symphonic Rock and the boring New Wave with it's streight sixteenth' feeling with a dark 'downward' and angry attitude had led us in confusion about what it was all about.

Disco music wasn't the alternative for me, as it was mainly commercial producers music for the masses.
Black Funk music, with JB on front, was what was keeping the flame, but in my student circles it wasn't the most popular style, tho The Sexmachine was an altimes favorite of course.

I still consider it as a strange coincidence of fate that electronic dance music, with it's principal lack of life performance, was actually bringing us back the real dance character of popular music.
It was like coming home again for me, back in 1989...back from the old blues days again :-)
What conflict?

wayne

Post by wayne »

Spent an hour yesterday playing Rainy Night In Georgia on guitar & Noah/basspedals. I had the pleasure of touring with TJW last year, the old dog was smokin' - blew up 4 different Fender DeVilles while in Australia :)

I also applied to be a postman, as the "boom" in this town doesn't look like it'll ever trickle down to the music sector, and gigs are thin on the ground with winter coming on.

I also took a gig with a circus for Sept/Oct - underpaid, but it'll be fun, and they'll fly my family to be with me. Noah will get a workout.

Here's a songlist I've been programming into Noah for duet gigs with Simon - my practice lately consists of going through these, working out the logistics of brass/bass wrangling in the arrangement, etc.

Grandma's Hands
Kissin My Love
People Say
Who Is He
Havin A Real Bad Day
Senor Blues
Mind Yor Own Business
Gettin' Crazy Up In Here
Drivin Wheel
Take Me to the River
Love & Happiness
Superstition
Boogie On Reggae Woman
Poet
If You Want Me To Stay
Drown In My Own Tears
Sticks & Stones
What I Say
Big Chief
Qualified
Such A Night
Groove Me
Fire on the Bayou
Pocky Way
Jealous Guy
Just Like a Woman
Iko Iko
Lonely Avenue
Ball of Confusion
Everything I do
Got To Get Ya
Messin with the Kid
Come Together
Feelin Alright
Rainy Night In Georgia
Polk Salad Annie
All Night Long
Thrill Is Gone
Ready
Never Can Tell

Ce la vie say the old folks, it goes to show....
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'm working up to two notes at a time....
wayne

Post by wayne »

garyb wrote:i'm working up to two notes at a time....
:lol: that stuff is overrated anyway :)
Hysteric

Post by Hysteric »

[quote="scope4live"] wrote:
Are you speaking of the Robert Johnson Blues Guitarist From Mississippi.

Jimmy, That's the Robert Johnson alright. I have been watching the dvd Sessions for Robert J. that Eric Clapton put together with great muso's around him. I love it. I've seen a dvd about his life although not a real lot of detail seems to exist. I have tabs and video tutorials as well, struggling on.
I saw BB King play in Adelaide many years ago a really top show. It must be great to live in a place where so many top acts play. Adelaide get's missed a lot. But I have a fairly big concert collection to compensate.
astroman

Post by astroman »

to my great delight I noticed that practicing bass had a very positive effect on a chronical tendon injury I had on my left hand (from rock-climbing).
It used to get worse from year to year, but the constant stretching of ring and pinky seems to have stopped it - it even looks a bit better... :D

cheers, Tom
Hysteric

Post by Hysteric »

Playing has a very positive effect on my hand also, I cut the tendon for my thumb between my wrist and the thumb knuckle, after a couple of operations I was left with a thumb I can't bend. I went through a few years of only playing synths in bands and my hand was noticibly shrinking around the thumb area and starting to sieze up, playing guitar on a regular basis has freed up the stiffness and helps strength. Very good idea if anyone has arthritus also.