Antti @ SonicCore

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

kybernaut_01

Antti @ SonicCore

Post by kybernaut_01 »

Great to hear that Antti Huovilainen, the talented guy that brought to us the ASynth, Augur and Taurus VST instruments is now working for SonicCore.

It also makes me a little proud that CW / SonicCore seemed to have taken my advice on this matter. This was a suggestion by me in December 2005! 8)

See the original post:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 642#132642

cheers,

kybernaut_01
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i'm getting good vibes all round about the new restructuring, much better than flogging the CreamWare horse every few years. With TigerSharcs and the new crew we could see a whole new era of Scope and more.
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

There's a post on kvr by Mr Fortune - he mentioned that Antti wrote the WHOLE CODE for the solaris ( HTFDHDT ! :o )

The guy must have had no sleep and been fed by a drip for months !!!!!
fortune

Post by fortune »

strav100 wrote:There's a post on kvr by Mr Fortune - he mentioned that Antti wrote the WHOLE CODE for the solaris ( HTFDHDT ! :o )

The guy must have had no sleep and been fed by a drip for months !!!!!
So I've been told 1st by John, then by J. Kindermann and finally by Antti himself. Anyway Antti was looking quite well on Wednesday at the Messe :D
He has done an awesome job in porting John's complex synth to the OS-code of the hardware.

Even more the vibes among the whole team felt really good.

cheers
HG
astroman

Post by astroman »

fortune wrote:...Anyway Antti was looking quite well on Wednesday at the Messe :D ...
he still did on 'public' Saturday - a really cool guy :)
... the statement about the team is true, too
those guys have a target and it's focussed - that team will hunt (as Jimmy would call it...) :D

cheers, Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

This is as exciting to me as when I lost my virginity to a Stewardess in ' 79 !!

When the Los Angeles Rams left LA under new management, and went to St. Louis, it was the Greatest Show On Turf.

Hot Damn, this is gonna' be the same.

I welcome you Antti !! Strength And Honor !!!
johnbowen

Re: Antti @ SonicCore

Post by johnbowen »

kybernaut_01 wrote:Great to hear that Antti Huovilainen, the talented guy that brought to us the ASynth, Augur and Taurus VST instruments is now working for SonicCore.

It also makes me a little proud that CW / SonicCore seemed to have taken my advice on this matter. This was a suggestion by me in December 2005! 8)

See the original post:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 642#132642
Hi kybernaut_01 - Yes, your posting was the reason I contacted Antti in that same month! I brought him down to Messe 2006 to meet him and see how he would fit in, etc., and we discussed many things. He also got to meet Holger and Juergen at that time, as I was just exploring the project with all.

Antti has done a great job getting the modules and algorithms into shape for the Solaris debut at Messe. It's true all the dsp code has been written by him, but it's also true that there's still a lot to do, as the prototype was not fully functional at the show. We have another 6 months to go before production hits, but I think everyone will be pleased with the results!

Thanks to kybernaut_01 for bringing Antti to my attention!! The timing couldn't have been more perfect!

regards,
john b.
husker

Post by husker »

WOW kybernaut_01 you are a true hero! :D
decimator

Post by decimator »

astroman wrote :
those guys have a target and it's focussed - that team will hunt (as Jimmy would call it...)
EXCELLENT !! 8)

With new gen chips it's really a *perfect* timing for bright perspectives ! :D
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, there really is a perspective now :)
but (...guessing from your past preset making...) a physical Solaris could become a serious threat to your mental health and social contacts... be warned

cheers, Tom
decimator

Post by decimator »

The CWA future was grim months ago ( again )

And old core guys being the new core with John and Antti, it means a lot like ... real team ! :D

Concerning Solaris, since it's kind of a mothership I didn't dig that much concerning Rotor / Wavetable possibilities compared to John's dedicated synths and I barely scratched the vector possibilities also :oops:
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

johnbowen wrote:Thanks to kybernaut_01 for bringing Antti to my attention!! The timing couldn't have been more perfect!

regards,
john b.
Wow! I have to say, this is really a GREAT honor to me. I hope this cooperation will yield some great fruit and leads the Solaris project to the success it deserves. It certainly is a cool feeling that I have been able to give things a little spin by only writing a forum post!!

I've been an avid follower of the situation at CW and was pretty sad when they had to let go Klaus Piehl and Matthias Klag, who achieved some great results with their approach of measuring and modeling vintage synth circuitry. But I felt that from that point on, development on new (and existing) algorithms would've been laid on ice. Obviously, this was the case and what we have seen was the port to a new HW platform (ASB) and some work on peripheral code, but no fundamental changes in the algorithm department.

At the same time, I was looking at the VST side of things and noticed that only very, very few companies and developers seemed to comprehend virtual analog as something that really has to be done from the ground up. One of them was, of course, Antti, who dug quite deep into the theories of modeling analog circuitry. He published a paper back then describing his approach to modeling the Moog ladder filter [1].

And -- most important -- he did not only get the theory right, but also his algorithms SOUNDED exceptionally good! To my ears, both CW's and Antti's algorithms are on a very high and sophisticated level while still having their own distinctions. I would say, it's a damn close race with some additional potential for Antti in the "organic sound" and "non-linearity" department. When I talked to him at the Messe, he told me that he further improved on his algorithms and that he had learned a thing or two during the past few years. :)

So, there could be no doubt that SonicCore has definately the right people in place to create something groundbraking and wonderful as the new Sorlaris synth and hopefully there'll be more in the future!!

My best wishes to John Bowen, Antti Huovilainen, Ralf Bach, Jürgen Kindermann and Holger Drenkelfort!

kybernaut_01

[1] http://dafx04.na.infn.it/WebProc/Proc/P_061.pdf
Last edited by kybernaut_01 on Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Stardust,
John has a darker model he calls the Oberheimish look, similar to the last Oberheim made by Oberheim, the OB8. The LCD's will shine through well on that one. I also am a color concious guy, due to the stage lighting.

JV
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

kybernaut, thanks for the information...

If Klaus Piehl and Matthias Klag are the one that made the internals for Vinco sound that good and the filters on Minimax, Prodyssey (very very great resonance) they have my full respect...
These are awesome and that modelling is what counts imo.

In fact in the musicstrument world a good programmer will have a hard time, if he doesn`t have the right ear for his results...
I mean you can only get the sound right, when you have an ear for the difference.

I think CW`s real power in development came from the combination of many great guys working together.... with great experience.
some coming more from the music side of things and the other more from the coding side ...
put it all in a bottle, shake it, and you get a great musician cocktail....

Now if they get back to that vibe with Antti(and maybe the team even grows), that would be a good thing!

Welcome Antti !!!
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

just out of interest. I checked Anttis VSTi synths on his homepage...
http://antti.smartelectronix.com/

and in fact the sound is quite good.
The Augur by the way is somewhat a little bit like the EMS synth and you can route modulation via a matrix with very interesting results.

def. a skilled developer !
fortune

Post by fortune »

hifiboom wrote:just out of interest. I checked Anttis VSTi synths on his homepage...
http://antti.smartelectronix.com/

and in fact the sound is quite good.
The Augur by the way is somewhat a little bit like the EMS synth and you can route modulation via a matrix with very interesting results.

def. a skilled developer !
well, Augur is an emulation of a Prophet VS. There are several patchbanks available showing the wide potential of this VSTi esp. that one n0lwenn did.

cheers
HG